1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Drinking Alcohol

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Rhetorician, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Not to change the subject. But what do you think about an occasional cigar? Most cigar smokers dont inhale and I once read that Charles Spurgeon imbibed on occasion.

2. bapmom

bapmom New Member

churchmontana,

salvation is based on us loving Christ? How is that? Its certainly not in the Bible. If our salvation was based on how much we loved Jesus than we'd all be doomed to Hell for eternity, there'd be no hope of salvation.

Christ died for us, because while we were yet sinners, He loved us.

We love Him, because HE FIRST loved us.

We don't come to Him because we love Him, at least not many of us. Most people I know do not come to Christ for salvation because they feel an overwhelming love for Him. They don't even know Him yet. It takes a lifetime of knowing Christ and learning how to love Him better. But that comes AFTER salvation.

Salvation is by grace, through faith in Jesus Christ.

It is offered to us because of God's love for us.

Sinning over and over, struggling with the same sin, does not mean one is not saved. It means one is struggling with a temptation and perhaps not relying fully on Christ yet to help them overcome it.

Our preacher has begun calling it "saved, but not converted." We are saved, but we sometimes don't act like our whole life is converted yet.

3. No. God hates booze and those who ignore his wishes intentionally are not servants of God. All those who drink should seek help. It's a waste of money and evil.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Is judging others who do not agree with you a sin? :rolleyes:

5. No, if I am correct. Which I am. Booze is a sin, nothing wrong with pointing out the truth.

Happy Thanksgiving.

6. natters

natters New Member

I have provided scripture that says otherwise.

Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

LORD speaking: (KJV) And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink , or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,
    How can God hate "booze" if He not only gives the OK to purchase it, but to consume it in His presence?

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You wrongly assume you are correct based on your own faulty intellect. Let God say what sin is, not you.

9. natters

natters New Member

Great response. :rolleyes: (referring to it before it was edited to "God loves you")

[ November 24, 2005, 11:57 PM: Message edited by: natters ]

10. natters, God Bless you.

Talk tomorrow...got to go.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

[PMs are not to be posted publicly]

[ November 25, 2005, 01:52 AM: Message edited by: C4K ]

12. natters

natters New Member

I appreciate your prayers, but I'd rather keep the discussion public.

Scripture clearly says that wine is a blessing from God:

Gen 14:18 And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most high God.

Exd 29:40 And with the one lamb a tenth deal of flour mingled with the fourth part of an hin of beaten oil; and the fourth part of an hin of wine for a drink offering.

Num 6:20 And the priest shall wave them for a wave offering before the LORD: this is holy for the priest, with the wave breast and heave shoulder: and after that the Nazarite may drink wine.

Deut 14:26 And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,

Jdg 19:18-19 And he said unto him, We are passing from Bethlehemjudah toward the side of mount Ephraim; from thence am I: and I went to Bethlehemjudah, but I am now going to the house of the LORD; and there is no man that receiveth me to house. [19] Yet there is both straw and provender for our asses; and there is bread and wine also for me, and for thy handmaid, and for the young man which is with thy servants: there is no want of any thing.

1 Sam 16:20 And Jesse took an ass laden with bread, and a bottle of wine, and a kid, and sent them by David his son unto Saul.

Psa 104:14-15 He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle, and herb for the service of man: that he may bring forth food out of the earth; [15] And wine that maketh glad the heart of man, and oil to make his face to shine, and bread which strengtheneth man's heart.

Prov 31:6 Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.

Ecc 9:7 Go thy way, eat thy bread with joy, and drink thy wine with a merry heart; for God now accepteth thy works.

Sgs 2:4 He brought me to the banqueting (03196) house, and his banner over me was love.

Sgs 5:1 I am come into my garden, my sister, my spouse: I have gathered my myrrh with my spice; I have eaten my honeycomb with my honey; I have drunk my wine with my milk: eat, O friends; drink, yea, drink abundantly, O beloved.

Sgs 8:2 I would lead thee, and bring thee into my mother's house, who would instruct me: I would cause thee to drink of spiced wine of the juice of my pomegranate.

Isa 55:1 Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price.

Jer 35:2 Go unto the house of the Rechabites, and speak unto them, and bring them into the house of the LORD, into one of the chambers, and give them wine to drink.

Also see:
    - Isa 25:6 says the LORD himself will give a feast that includes wine.
    - In Gen 14, the priest Melchizedek (a 'type' of Christ according to the NT) gave Moses bread and wine.
    - Deut 14 says if the Israelites differentiate between clean and unclean animals (v2-31), tithe (v22) and live obediently (v23), they may spend their money on livestock, wine and strong drink, and eat and drink and rejoice before the LORD.
    - Psalm 104:14-15 says God causes grass to grow for cattle, causes plants to grow for man, and that God gives man wine to make man's heart glad, and oil for his face, and bread to sustain him.
    - Ecc 9:7 says the righteous can "Go thy way, eat thy bread with joy, and drink thy wine with a merry heart; for God now accepteth thy works."
    - Judges 9:13 says wine brings cheer to both man *and God*.
    - Isa 55:1 compares God's mercy to free water, milk and wine.
    - 1 Chr 12:40 and 2 Chr 31:5 includes wine in the list of abundance and joyful things for Israel
    - Amos 9:13-15 prophesies about restoring Israel, when then can rebuild their cities and plant vineyards and drink wine.
    - Deut 28 talks about God removing good things because of disobedience. The list of good things includes wine (v39)
    - Song of Songs 5:1 talks of drinking wine as a celebration of love.
    - Gen 27:28 speaks a blessing from God of dew from heaven, fatness from the earth, and an abundance of grain and wine.
    - Deut 7:13 speaks of a blessing from God of children, grain and wine.
    - Deut 11:14 speaks of a blessing from God of grain and wine and oil.
    - Prov 3:9-10 says if we give to God, he will give to us, overflowing us with grain and wine.

However, like other blessings from God (food, money, sex, positions of authority, etc.) it can be misused and abused, and is sinful when used beyond what God intended it for.

13. my mistake

[ November 25, 2005, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: churchmontana ]

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I believe the moderators and administrators can review PM's. I have notified a moderator, and have saved the PM. It's obvious who's lying.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

"Thou shalt not lie". Do you need to know where this if found in the Bible, too? You are a sad little person. :rolleyes:

BTW, I put you on ignore so you cannot PM me again.

16. You're right webdog. I lied. I'm sorry. I'm a mess. I came on these boards to cause trouble. I will leave now and never come back. I'm really sorry. I'm lost.

17. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    FOR THE RECORD, MEMBERS OF THE ADMINISTRATIVE COUNCIL CANNOT READ PMs BETWEEN MEMBERS. I would further add the posting of PMs in public forums is considered bad manners on Baptist Board.

18. woodyR

woodyR New Member