1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Drinking Alcohol

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by SaggyWoman, Aug 21, 2011.

?
  1. I do not drink alcohol.

18 vote(s)
    45.0%
  2. I used to before I was a Christian, but I abstain now.

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  3. I am a Christian and I drink beer.

7 vote(s)
    17.5%
  4. I am a Christian and I drink wine.

12 vote(s)
    30.0%
  5. I am a Christian and I take part in the Lord's supper with alcohol.

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  6. I am a Christian and I drink wine coolers.

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  7. I think it is okay to drink alcohol, as long as I don't get drunk.

17 vote(s)
    42.5%
  8. I don't drink alcohol because I don't want to set that kind of example.

10 vote(s)
    25.0%
  9. I think it is wrong to say I am a Christian and drink alcohol.

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  10. Other

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    YES INDEED! Any opportunity for a snort.....Trout know that for all my fly fishing trips. You take a flask with you!:smilewinkgrin:

2. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

I am a Christian and I very occassionally drink a glass on wine.

3. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

'On' wine? Now that's clever!

4. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I drank alcohol before I rededicated my life to Christ...I could also see from my job how alcohol wrecks homes and causes people to do things they wouldn't do otherwise....and have seen the sad results over and over. And don't talk "moderation" to me....you either drink or you don't
    drink.

I felt that my testimony was no good if I couldn't live better than "the world" - and I know that will stir up a nest of replies....but if you look in your heart, you will know I am right.

We have "Reformers Unanimous" starting in our church soon, so how would it look to the addicted if we (who are reaching out to help them) were partakers of the sins that have ruined their lives?

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First...what is "Reformers Unanimous"?

Well in AA, it is the recovering alcoholic who (after living the horrors of out of control alcoholism) offers the assistance....Not the non-alcoholic... in fact, they wont even let you in a meeting. Been there & done that.

But back to your RU commentary....I would like some embellishment.

6. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Hmmm...I detect at least an implied judgement on the rest of us who do imbibe with which I'm not totally happy. Imagine if I said "I drink wine with my main meal of the day because it is the civilised thing to do"; that would likewise imply that I think those who don't are in some way rather uncultured? Do you see the effect of the words used?

7. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    For years, I was taught that drinking alcohol was always a sin, no matter what.
    My grandfather was a violent alcoholic and I heard all kinds of stories on the evils of drink and saw firsthand how it affected others. So, no, I've not even tasted alcohol, unless you count some cold medicines or cough syrups. I just didn't have a desire to try it.

That said, I have read the entire Bible and have never found that it is a sin to drink alcohol. We are told not to be DRUNK, we are told to use it for the stomach's sake, we are told not to be "winebibbers" but I have not found where GOD says it's a sin to drink. So that's man's opinion, not God's word.

8. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Due to my diabetes, it's a good thing I didn't become a drunk like many in my family--mostly on my mother's side of the family. I had an uncle who I didn't know drunk until I actually saw him sober once. I thought he naturally acted like that.

I had a brother who was either drunk or hung over. If he had the money, he was drinking. Another brother took a 6-pack of beer to work with him for his lunch. Another uncle seemed to always be drunk.

These are all on my mother's side. It must have been rough living in that family if nearly everyone became an alcoholic--my mother being the exception. My parents drank was on my Friday night and on their anniversary. The only time my dad treated me well was when he drunk, but my mother became mean and impossible to be around--as did many others in the family. I simply became silly and laughed a lot when I used to drink. Fortunately, it didn't become a habit.

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    you know, alcoholism is very much like any habit of the ego... its denial pure and simple or as my wife says EGO = Edge God Out. Any strong willed person will defeat it or stop it before it becomes problematic. When you NEED it is when you stop & think.....why do I need this? Am I growing dependent on it? Thats a healthy self analsys that is critical. But Ive also seen the denial at insane levels where they never evaluate their own personal character & thats a flawed individual right there.

Still there are those that take a snort now and again without being crippled by it and are quite normal & happy. Don't impose your thinking on well adjusted people because you may have a problem or are fearful that your going to be a drunk.....you alone control that part of your character & anything else is just your own character weakness if you have a problem.

10. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

So not drinking makes me better than the world? Really, cause I thought it was Christ living within me that makes me better than the world.

Christ within me means I can drink a glass of wine with supper and not worry about drinking the bottle, because the Holy Spirit places a limiting hand on my fleshly desires. It doesnt' mean I'm better than the world, cause lots of unsaved people drink without becoming drunk and beating their children and a good many so called Christians beat the snot out of their kids while never touching a drop of alcohol. (ask me about my childhood sometime, I know this firsthand)

My testimony stands on Christ, not on my pitiful attempts to do something right. When we lose sight of "my burdens are light" and begin making up rules that God never intended, that is when we lose our testimony.

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow:thumbs:

Quick one ...I saw it on TV last week.
    you know your a redneck when you open a beer at the eulogy! :laugh:

12. menageriekeeper

Just came through a redneck funeral, with not a bottle of beer in sight. I'm sure that was left for the family gathering that came after, which I didn't attend. More likely, there were 10 dozen different desserts along with enough food to feed a small army and ice tea so sweet it'll make your teeth ache. Who needs beer??

(bleck, I don't like beer)

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its an acquired taste! :laugh:Try the Orange Brandy Liquor mentioned above ....ok, for medicinal purposes & when you have a cold....think you will enjoy that very much.

14. menageriekeeper

Grand Marnier is best for flavoring cheesecake, lol. I prefer whiskey for coughs/colds. Old school I know!

15. Matt Black

Site Supporter

:applause::thumbsup:

16. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This may be due to our different climates. I might enjoy an ale during our winter months, but this just doesn't work during summer time.

17. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

But don't you drink coffee in Florida? That is surely far warmer than Matt's "real ale".

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At $36-45 a bottle.....it had better be!

19. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Ale should be room temperature so I agree that it is not appropriate* in a hot summer. I have to admit (but don't tell anyone!) that I drink chilled lager when on summer vacation in the Med.

* ie: not refreshing

#39 Matt Black, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2011
  20. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Everybody now -

I like beer, it makes me a jolly good fellow....

Thank you Tom T. Hall.