1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Drinking an alcoholic beverage could land you a job!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Aug 28, 2013.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well I had religion brought up on me twice this week. Monday interviewer mentioned my attending Bob Jones and he said what he thought about BJU and their legalism. Then the interviewer today brought up religion. At first he said I was "overqualified" for the job and thought I might be one to be arrogant and all. However he said that once he saw my "christian background" he decided to call me in for a interview. It may be illegal but it happens everyday!

2. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As usual you are looking for a way to criticize me.

3. Winman

Winman Active Member

I haven't suggested any such thing. Why don't you simply tell us what this company distributes?

I followed your thread where you got fired for "over-performance" and I don't know what you did there either. I have never heard of anybody getting fired for over-performance.

You come on here and talk about your personal life, well, we are listening. Tell us what kind of job this is, quit being so secretive.

4. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually I was not a good fit for that last job. Just because you have not heard of it does not mean it does not exist. Its a big marketplace and you probably do not read career books, nor are you involved in the job market so one cant fully trust what you say.

I do not know why that the company does (which they did not fully disclose to me) is important to you. You want me to tell every company secret of which I do not know, nor would I disclose.

5. Winman

Winman Active Member

No I'm not, but you told us you might have to travel, and that these folks like to party. That makes me curious as to what kind of business this is.

6. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Calm down boy. :laugh: I'm just saying it's unusual for folks to go to an interview and just start volunteering that much information and not condemning someone just because they say there will be trips and people will be drinking.

It's corporate America. It's a given if there is a trip or a get together and you're not Chick-fil-a, there will be some people drinking.

May I ask how old you are? Have you interviewed much? I only ask because back when you mentioned your job search before, I remember thinking that you said some things that made me think you might need to brush up on what to say and not say during an interview.

Did they ask you if you would drink on the trips with everyone, or did you just feel the need to let them know that you wouldn't condem them or get drunk but would drink Mike's hard lemonade. People just don't say things like that during an interview unless they are specificaly asked.

But that's the thing, You can be personable without telling every intimate detail of your personal belief system.

They say there will be trips and people will drink? Shake your head , say okay and keep the conversation moving unless they specifically ask.

Usually the case.

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don’t tell him, make him wonder. Pretend he’s your next potential employer and you’re tempted to talk about drinking. :laugh:

8. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/rogerdooley/2012/07/30/alcohol-dumb/

9. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Most of them don't even know they can't until it's too late.

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Honestly, I've never heard of an employer speaking about alcohol use at all - unless someone was a drunk at work and fired from their former employer because of that. I've worked in sales with an alcoholic - and never was asked if I minded drinking with clients. I worked in fund raising and never was asked if I would go out to the bar and toss back a few. And if I ever was, I'd just say "That is not a problem." and leave it at that. I certainly wouldn't be specific in my form of drink (Mike's is not the only alcoholic beverage out there nor is it the lowest alcohol - so I don't know why the specification about it). When I went out, I'd comfortably have a seltzer with lime or a virgin Sea Breeze and if asked, I would just say that I'm fine with what I have, thank you. But again, in all of my years working in secular jobs, I've never had an issue with that.

Man, what would a recovering alcoholic do? Not get hired because he wouldn't go out with the boys to go get sloshed????

11. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

12. Winman

Winman Active Member

I followed his last thread where he got fired for over-performance. I don't know what he did there either. Over-performance doing what?

I have not been in that many job interviews because I tend to work for employers for many years. I have been at my current job 8 years, before that I was with a company 15 years. The only reason I left there was because they closed down. Before that I worked at the same company 10 years, I left there when I moved from Florida to New England.

But from what I remember, we talked about the job I was applying for and skills and experience that would apply toward that job. I don't think I ever once spoke to anyone about drinking, or religion.

I dunno, I just never had a potential employer tell me there would be a lot of cussing on the job. Never came up.

13. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

http://usfweb2.usf.edu/EOA/interview_faq.asp

Lots of companies out there. Just because you have not experienced it does not mean it does not happen.

14. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

THAT is pretty normal.

I just don't see it happening unless you're dealing with a small mom and pop run small endeavor.

15. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So your limited experience dictates what the entire world of work operates?

16. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats EXACTLY what this place was.

17. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I kinda figured it was from what you've said. :laugh: A lot of times they will get a little bit more personal with you because they are a small shop and everyone works so closely together. And they often will tell you about themselves and what they do and offer it up as a segueway to hear if you're okay with it.

But they didn't ask you about condemning anyone or if you drank unless you left that out. In the future, I'd say don't go there with them unless they ask.:thumbs:

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I've never heard of one asking this question other than a place where it may be a problem if someone has a drinking problem. But my husband also said he's never asked anything like this or been asked this question - and he's dealt with Hollywood!! LOL

19. Winman

Winman Active Member

I have a lot more experience in the work force than you!

I have been working almost continuously since I was 10 years old and had a paper route. All through school I mowed lawns, worked as a dishwasher in a restaurant, worked in construction, I even had my own business building surfboards. I had money all the time.

I have worked continuously since graduating High School, I went to college and held a full time job at the same time. In all these years of work (nearly 50) I might have been out of work a grand total of 2 months. I moved once back in the 70s and it took me a few weeks to find a new job, and my company shut down 8 years ago, took me a month to find a job. Other than that, I have been continuously employed for almost 50 years.

I have a lot more experience in the work force than you. And I know better than to go to a job interview and tell folks I only drink Mike's Hard Lemonade.

20. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I got to admit it is just an odd thing to do. So evangelist, no more talking to interviewers about your drinking habits. Especially no mention of Mikes Hard Lemonade.