1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Drinking of alcohol and especially wine

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Old Scholar, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting and good point. It reminded me that we eat pork and that was not on the approved list in the OT.

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

But that isn't the point of the KJV translators. The text in the TR is the same as the UBS4 which I drew from.

You can't just dismiss my argument with this above, particularly if you are a "scholar." The KJV doesn't mean abstinence. It means moderation.

Well this line doesn't fly around here. The TR was created by Erasmus. Its an okay critical text. But since my Greek above lines up with the Textus Receptus' Greek, howsabout you interact with where I'm coming from.

How then, do you reconcile (since the texts are the same) the various uses of different terminology in the NT? How do you deal with my points, explicitly above, in how Paul configures the standard in his Greek presentation.

Let us not forget the original documents were not done in English, both (for the NT) Greek. So how do you think we should better understand the Greek?

For this one, you're going to have to show cause. I have dealt explicitly with the original language above and not some English translation of that language. Just saying the KJV is superior doesn't buy much credibility. Particularly for a Scholar. Where is your cause for this statement as it relates to the above texts?

Okay, well I don't drink alcohol. I have never consumed alcoholic beverages. I don't care if a Christian does but I have never (because of my particular calling) consumed them. Does my interpretation then matter?

Your reply, while it is appreciated, is severly lacking in both a robust engagement with the text and an honest effort to discuss the points I raised above. So I ask:

Given my reply and the interaction with the text (notice I didn't use any "modern" translations but strictly dealt with the Greek) how can you validate a mandated abstinence for pastors only?

blessings on your journey:thumbsup:

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

lol...well this whole conversation has taken a predictable turn.

It would be great to see if anyone can show Scriptural cause why Christians must completely abstain from alcohol.

I see lots of talking past each other, boilerplate rhetoric, and illusions to "spiritual" principles...but no interaction with the text of the Scriptures. But that is what I expect. :)

4. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

It is legalistic to set rules regarding a subject there is obviously no absolute grounds to make a decision on. We should be following the principles of scripture. Rules are for the immature. Principles are for the mature

So whether you eat or drink do it all for the glory of God

Everything is lawful but not everyting is beneficial

Everything is lawful but I will not be mastered by anything.

Hey what about the stumbling block principle...should I not drink because it offends my weaker brother?

5. Tater77

Tater77 New Member

Nope, but it would be a good idea not to drink in his or her presence.

If you were to invite a friend, relative or anyone over for dinner that is a recovering alcoholic or dealing with a drinking problem then it would not be a good idea to break open a bottle of wine. Or if that person is a non-drinker that is offended by it. Just avoid the situation.

In Romans, Paul was addressing a conflict between the Jew and Gentile Christians, namely about drinking wine whenever. And also eating whatever because the Jewish Christians still lived by the dietary restrictions of the Law at this time, but that is another discussion. For the Jews there were days you could drink and days you couldn't. The Gentiles had no reserves about drinking whenever. Paul asked the Gentiles church members in Rome to respect the wishes of their "brother" and to abstain from drinking on these days and eating foods in front of them that were offensive.

And then used it as a moral lesson about doing things that would offend others especially when you know good and well that it offends them and showing respect for the wishes of your fellow Christians.

:thumbs: Hope that answers your question and didn't confuse you :laugh:

#105 Tater77, May 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2009
  6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Judges 9:13 says "And the vine said unto them, Should I leave my wine, which cheereth God and man, and go to be promoted over the trees?"

Wine cheereth God.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Isaiah 25:6 "And in this mountain shall the LORD of hosts make unto all people a feast of fat things, a feast of wines on the lees, of fat things full of marrow, of wines on the lees well refined."

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

God's blessing is often shown with an abundance of goods including wine:

Joel 2:18-25

"Then will the LORD be jealous for his land, and pity his people.

19Yea, the LORD will answer and say unto his people, Behold, I will send you corn, and wine, and oil, and ye shall be satisfied therewith: and I will no more make you a reproach among the heathen:

20But I will remove far off from you the northern army, and will drive him into a land barren and desolate, with his face toward the east sea, and his hinder part toward the utmost sea, and his stink shall come up, and his ill savour shall come up, because he hath done great things.

21Fear not, O land; be glad and rejoice: for the LORD will do great things.

22Be not afraid, ye beasts of the field: for the pastures of the wilderness do spring, for the tree beareth her fruit, the fig tree and the vine do yield their strength.

23Be glad then, ye children of Zion, and rejoice in the LORD your God: for he hath given you the former rain moderately, and he will cause to come down for you the rain, the former rain, and the latter rain in the first month.

24And the floors shall be full of wheat, and the vats shall overflow with wine and oil.

25And I will restore to you the years that the locust hath eaten, the cankerworm, and the caterpiller, and the palmerworm, my great army which I sent among you. "

9. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise. Proverbs 20:1 Why drink strong drinks compared with other beverages available today?

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Why does anyone drink anything? Because it's yummy! We had ribs last night for dinner. I would have LOVED a good ale with that but we had seltzer instead. Didn't make it quite as yummy.

11. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Re: This Whine Thread

Not exactly.

Actually it was a sideways reference to this thread in the Baptist Theology and Bible Study forum.

http://www.baptistboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12

I did mistakenly post it in the wrong forum (hence the 'red face' smilie), while the remark about 'helping the thread along' was simply my comment on a subject that gives this general appearance.

[​IMG]

But I'm still glad to see that you found something amusing in this "Whine Thread" just the same.

Ed

#111 EdSutton, May 13, 2009
  12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I never mocked anyone or became enraged by drinking a beer or glass of wine. In context this verse is clearly dealing with drunkeness and NOT drinking.

13. saved and sure

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree and I have asked several people here to give the positives to drinking alcohol and have seen none, except that ribs taste better with a glass of ale. The ribs probably need some help if ale makes them taste better.

14. saved and sure

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :BangHead:

15. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Share with us the positive of eating a bag of Lay's Potato Chips? What is the positive of eating meat that is fried as opposed to BBQ'ed. Your argument is lame.

#115 sag38, May 13, 2009
  16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Oh my stars! Bite your tongue! They were the BEST ribs I've ever had. Have you heard the term "fall off the bone"? These did on the first bite and I had to finish them with my fork. They were AMAZING - but a good ale would have just topped it off.

Kind of like lobster with butter.

Pizza and a coke.

French fries and ketchup.

Why do you drink what you drink? I like my water with lime or lemon in it. Water is good - with a twist it's better. On a very hot day, I love an iced tea. Why? Because it tastes good. Does one need another reason to enjoy an alcoholic drink such as wine or a margharita other than because it tastes good? Well Scripture tells us that wine gladdens God's heart. I think that's a good reason for it too.

17. saved and sure

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who compared it to gluttony? I can use whatever argument that I choose to use and when I do not respond to a question it is becuae I do not think that the question deserves a response.

I have that freedom, as do you. Enough for this subject, carry on with the others here.

18. saved and sure

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We can pull anything out of scripture that attempts to prove our beliefs. I suppose that you believe money is the answer to everything based on this verse?
    Ecc 10:19 A feast is made for laughter, and wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Do you need some ibuprofen? Maybe a glass of wine will help.

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

Actually a 4 oz. glass of wine used to help me with my migraines for some reason. But now I have to count on medications instead since we stopped drinking.

20. saved and sure

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why are you so hung up on verifying that drinking alcohol is justified in scripture?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.