1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Drug companies 'inventing diseases to boost their profits'

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Linda64, Jun 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Here are two articles about how some pharmeceutical companies are ripping people off--interesting reading!

Drug companies 'inventing diseases to boost their profits'

Health news

The Times April 11, 2006

By Mark Henderson, Science Correspondent

PHARMACEUTICAL companies are systematically creating diseases in order to sell more of their products, turning healthy people into patients and placing many at risk of harm, a special edition of a leading medical journal claims today.

The practice of “diseasemongering” by the drug industry is promoting non-existent illnesses or exaggerating minor ones for the sake of profits, according to a set of essays published by the open-access journal Public Library of Science Medicine.

The special issue, edited by David Henry, of Newcastle University in Australia, and Ray Moynihan, an Australian journalist, reports that conditions such as female sexual dysfunction, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and “restless legs syndrome” have been promoted by companies hoping to sell more of their drugs.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8122-2128371,00.html

Glaxo denies pushing 'lifestyle' treatments

· 'Restless leg syndrome can ruin people's lives'
    · British drug firms' figures outstrip expectations

Fiona Walsh
    Friday April 28, 2006
    The Guardian

GlaxoSmithKline, Europe's biggest drugs manufacturer, yesterday defended itself against accusations that it is turning healthy people into patients by "disease mongering" and pushing "lifestyle" treatments for little-known ailments.

Studies published in a respected medical journal, the Public Library of Science Medicine, this month accused the big pharmaceutical companies of "medicalising" problems such as high cholesterol and sexual dysfunction. The authors of the report highlighted the "restless legs" syndrome, described by GSK as "common yet unrecognised" when it launched its Ropinirole treatment last year.

http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,1763199,00.html

2. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

I think these articles could even go futher. Because of the overuse of drugs like antibiotics, these drugs have created hybrid illnesses. Could we be drugging ourselves into oblivion?

Bro Tony

3. Mishelly

Mishelly New Member

I agree completly - my knowledge is on MRSA

Unnecessary antibiotic use in humans. Like other superbugs, MRSA is the result of decades of excessive and unnecessary antibiotic use. For years, antibiotics have been prescribed for colds, flu and other viral infections that don't respond to these drugs, as well as for simple bacterial infections that normally clear on their own

From the Mayo Clinic

4. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

I noticed that those drug commercials act as if every ache and pain is some sort of "syndrome" that requires medication. If I took medication for every ache and pain I had I would be a zombie.

5. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Anything to get another corporate dollar

6. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Instead of treating restless leg syndrome with drugs, they should just join the cast of RiverDance.

I think these are real things, but I think they're treating the symptoms instead of the problems.

7. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I have a stupid question. If the infection does not respond to the drug, then what difference does it make it the infection becomes immune to that drug? It sounds like it already is?

8. Mishelly

Mishelly New Member

“If the infection does not respond to the drug, then what difference does it make if the infection becomes immune to that drug? It sounds like it already is?”

I am not sure I understand the question. Because of the overuse of Anti Biotic’s new strands of viruses have formed and have become resistant to the drugs that have been used in the past. In the past serious Staph infections were treatable, but they have grown stronger and thus now medicines do not work on the new ‘SuperBug“. In the case of my Uncle he died from complications. Now my nice and her son have it, hers on her foot and him in an area only a man could appreciate the sensitivty of. With my father he acquired MRSA in his chest, they removed his sternum bone but still had to cut it out (the infection, it keeps coming back) for years after that. I blame the MRSA, whether true or not I do, for not allowing him to fully recover from his Quadruple By-Pass. They used Vancomycin, but he was allergic to that so they had to counter it with another IV of Antihistamines. And MRSA is quickly becoming resistant to Vancomycin and so they are working on new ones all of time.

I can go on forever about MRSA because I have been personally affected by it. This one is just a prime example of drug companies wanting money and Doctors over prescribing them for ‘benefits’ from drug companies BIG MONEY.

From the Mayo Clinic
    “It was one of the first germs to outwit all but the most powerful drugs

When not treated properly, MRSA infection is fatal

Vancomycin is one of the few antibiotics still effective against hospital strains of MRSA infection, although the drug is no longer effective in every case. Several drugs continue to work against CA-MRSA, but CA-MRSA is a dangerous and rapidly evolving bacterium, and it may simply be a matter of time before it, too, becomes resistant to most antibiotics.”

#8 Mishelly, Jun 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2006
  9. Mishelly

Mishelly New Member

There are never stupid questions, just foolish people who not ask :laugh:

10. Mishelly

Mishelly New Member

But I am not a good dancer :laugh:

I agree with treating the symptoms :thumbs:

11. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

That's not true at all. There are plenty of stupid questions. And I've always been taught to never be afraid to ask a stupid question.

12. Mishelly

Mishelly New Member

:laugh: We should have a poll and who we think asks the most :tongue3: I think I might have most beat :smilewinkgrin:

13. Kris

Kris New Member

Interesting...A new disease invented??

Hi everyone :wavey:

This is really interesting

I just read Natural Cures by Kevin Trudeu. kevinfightsback.com
    He has been on tv alot lately.
    If I remember right, in his book he stated the reason the drug companies NEED to catagorize all of these problems as diseases now is because they now will own the market so to speak. Below I cut and pasted a portion from his website. It is already happening. There is law that is closing many homeopathic doctors, health food stores etc ..because if they try to tell you of a natural cure for a disease, they could be prosecuted. A health food store in our area was recently closed by the FDA because it supposidly offered medical claims or something to that nature. I heard this second hand from many people who knew the owners.

Here is a portion from his website. I don't know how accurate he is, but it's something to note possibly

According to a recent ABC News Story, people with “road rage” aren’t just angry about traffic. Now, people who cannot control their temper have a disease called Intermittent Explosive Disorder, or IED, and need to be treated with anti-depressants and mood stabilizing drugs.

IED was considered to be a relatively rare diagnosis, but a recently released study, funded by the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), claims that IED is much more widespread than originally thought and affects up to one in 20 people.

What does this mean?

If there are approximately 300 million people living in the United States[1], that works out to 15,000,000 people who, according to this report, have a disease that requires drug therapy. This is a glaringly obvious attempt by Big Pharma to engineer and hype a new reason to prescribe anti-depressants and mood stabilizers to millions of people.

Less obvious, but more sinister, implications of the study are the broad diagnostic criteria for IED and the early age-of-onset.

Dr. Emil Coccaro of the University of Chicago, one of the researchers who conducted the study, says that the people who likely have IED are “having low-level outbursts — screaming, shouting, slamming doors.”

In the report, the researchers propose that public schools take a central role in identifying children who are exhibiting symptoms of IED. “Given its earlier age-of-onset, identifying IED early — perhaps in school-based violence prevention programs — and providing early treatment might prevent some of the associated psychopathology.”[2] This opens the doors for schools to insist upon medicating children they label as disruptive.

14. donnA

donnA Active Member

They say that antibacterial soaps are the biggest culprits in the drug resisting diseases. I don't know. But who does that info come from I wonder. Just a thought i guess.

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

I am a person who only takes drug if I really need it, I mean like life sustaining, like my diabetes meds. But I guess some diseases, or whatever you want to cal them, might seem minor and you don't need meds for them, if you don't have them. But when you have to suffer with them, and there is help available, whats the problem.
    why does it only list a woman's problem, what about the multiply commercials for multiple drugs for helping men with similar problems? Aren't the same types of drugs for them just as unneeded?

16. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Donna, I don't know how anti-bacterial soaps would be a culprit in anti-biotic resistance. The reason? Anti-bacterial soaps use antiseptics and not anti-biotics. Germs with any resistance to anti-biotics did not get it from being exposed to antiseptics.

I will tell you something interesting; however, all soap kills germs. Spending extra money for an anti-bacterial soap is a waste of money. Plain old Ivory soap can be used to wash hands in an operating room and will do just fine.

I do; however, like the Hand Sanitizers that use ethanol to kill germs. I keep a bottle sitting on my desk and every time I sit down from wandering around and shaking hand, I use it. Funny, I still catch about the same number of colds. :laugh:

17. donnA

donnA Active Member

Antibacterial soap costs the same as other soaps here. And I wish I remembered where I heard that at.

18. donnA

donnA Active Member

19. Mishelly

Mishelly New Member

I guess Bleach for wiping down counters and cleaning from now on :eek:

Acutally, when my father would have his outbreaks that is what the Doctors and nurses advised us to use when cleaning the house, washing clothes and washing the dishes.

I scares me to no ends of all the things that they SuperBugs are becoming ammune to :tear:

20. Mishelly

Mishelly New Member

O Thank you for the links, I thought I had heard that somewhere too but was afraid to look to find out it was true

Ignorance is not always bliss

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.