1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Drums in Christian Music

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by princessJJ, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you think style is? But don't think that Voduns and Shamans use just any old rhythm. They are very specific and calculating.

So style is everything. If you're dancing, you will move in a certain manner to a certain rhythm, and everyone else will move in the same manner though the specific movements will all be different.

The "speed and pressure" for any instrument is chosen by the composer. It is a calculated, intelligent choice for the purpose of eliciting a certain response in the listener. It is an act, and we're told quite plainly that anything we do will be judged as either good or evil.

2. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

Didn't this go back to my question to how much of the culture should Christians accept?

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

It likewise goes to my original question of who is in a position to decide what is accceptible and not for everyone. I can find no "banned list of instruments" in scripture, nor can I find any "banned list of musical genres". So it seems that this is an issue of letting each being convinced in his/her own mind.

If "A" finds [insert genre here] type of music spiritually unaceptible personally, then "A" is permitted the conviction to refrain. However, "A" is not granted scriptural authority to tell "B" that he must likewise refrain from said type of music in order to remain righteous.

4. UnchartedSpirit

Nor tell his/her church right? Or should a particular culture only congregate to a church of their own? is this likewise for family founded churches based on their traditions?

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

We're people of different cultures, and there certainly isn't anything wrong with people congregating with the familiar (so long as the familiar in question does not violate scripture). But of course, it's not required either.

For example, I cannot cannot cannot absolutely cannot stand most black southern gospel style music (with some exception). I would change churches if my church's music was mostly this style. That doesn't mean that a style is wrong, nor dies it mean I am forbidden from seeking music more to my preference. Neither am I permitted to call my church wrong for doing so, nor may they call me wrong for seeking another congregation more to my musical liking.

6. nate

nate New Member

Whats wrong with volume being pumped up? Read the OT sometime. You'll see they SHOUTED to the Lord and could be heard for MILES away. That's the problem with church today we aren't excited enough. That's where our Charismatic brethern excell past us Baptist when they worship God it's something to get excited about.

7. nate

nate New Member

Electric guitars, basses Ok. Look up Timbrel sometime in Websters 1828 it was actually a form of drum.

8. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Some folks let their worldly standards corrupt them and create doctrine not found in the bible like saying that certain instruments cannot be used to worship God Almighty.

9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God is.

I can find no "banned list of instruments" in scripture, nor can I find any "banned list of musical genres".

But what you do find is quite an extensive description of good and bad demeanor. For example, God has expressly banned excess and riot. Any musical style that can be classified as excessive and riotous is therefore under the ban.

So is any that could be deemed So it seems that this is an issue of letting each being convinced in his/her own mind.

Your premise being invalid likewise invalidates your conclusion.

If "A" finds [insert genre here] type of music spiritually unaceptible personally, then "A" is permitted the conviction to refrain. However, "A" is not granted scriptural authority to tell "B" that he must likewise refrain from said type of music in order to remain righteous.

If you want to go that route, "B" is commanded to yield to "A's" conscience on the matter.

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you listening, David?

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

There is certainly no shortage of people who think themselves God on the topic.

Again, who decides what constitutes excess and riot? In most cases on this topic, I submit that it's perception based on subjectivity. Mozart's ballet music was once considered excess and riot.

The proginal premise is made by those who attempt to make a case for a scripturl ban on certain genres of music or certain instruments.
    Since it has not been established that there is a scriptural ban on certain genres of music or certain instruments in the first place, the false premise lies with those who make such a claim in the first place.
    As a matter of scriptural courtesy, yes. As a matter of moral absolute, no. If I can't stand classic hymns, should the church I attend refrain from playing them out of a moral absolute? According to your assertion, they should. That's a somewhat ridiculous notion.

12. UnchartedSpirit

Oh, whell john...I was raised in Black SOuthern Gospel...but since I'm a renessance man, I can take mostly any music...so long as they're the right lyrics...

13. austinthebaptist

austinthebaptist New Member

Let everything that has breath Praise the Lord! as far as art and entertainment, David had those "skilled musicians" and there are those who make a joyful noise unto the Lord. Motivation and attitude, God knows the heart, let every man be settled in his own mind, what he offers up in faith "SHALL iI PLAY FOR YOU HARUMP BUMP BUM BUM ME AND MY DRUM?
    Standing or sitting, how bout lying down? kneeling?
    PRAISE THE LORD ALLELU
    FORGET NOT WHAT HE HAS DONE
    PRAISE THE LORD, PRAISE HIM EVERYONE
    PRAISE HIM WITH YOU HEART
    PRAISE HIM WITH YOUR GUITAR
    LET EVERYTHING THAT HAS BREATH
    PRAISE THE LORD

(Beat out some Psalm in morse code!)

14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We call them Arminians.

Again, who decides what constitutes excess and riot?

Again, God does.

The proginal premise is made by those who attempt to make a case for a scripturl ban on certain genres of music or certain instruments.
    Since it has not been established that there is a scriptural ban on certain genres of music or certain instruments in the first place, the false premise lies with those who make such a claim in the first place.

Huh? :confused: Did you mean, "original"? And if so, Huh? :confused:

If I can't stand classic hymns, should the church I attend refrain from playing them out of a moral absolute?

Are describing a personal preference or a matter of conscience?

15. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

It can be argued that Calvinists think they are God, because they think they have exactly how his sovereighty in salvation works figured out (I.e., If he chooses the saved, then he must want the rest to be saved). Anyway, at least many of them consistently avoid the Pelagian view of sanctification that has in practice affected many Arminian Churches. You, with some of the things you have said about the influence of musical elements, and society's past versus the present, are the worst of both worlds.

16. Dale McNamee

Dale McNamee New Member

Dear Eric B,

You wrote in reponse to Aaron: " You, with some of the things you have said about the influence of musical elements, and society's past versus the present, are the worst of both worlds."

BRAVO! BRAVO! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

In Christ,

Dale

17. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bonga Dale was a cheerleader in his former life. Now he bangs on Bongos. Or is it Congas? Aw, let's just call them Bongas. :D

18. nate

nate New Member

We call them Arminians.</font>[/QUOTE]Ouch who's playin God by judging others? Can't talk much aaron.

19. Tim McCann

Tim McCann New Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am 64 years old, have been a professional musician playing in orchestras,military bands,ensembles and small groups all my life. As a messianic believer I hold high the fact that the words sung in worship are of of primary importance above the instruments accompanying. Also, no one instrument should be prevalent unless it is performing a solo.
    That being said, I have witnessed some congregations that have taken the balance of music out of balance by making it necessary for percussion to be involved even in beautiful hymns where they never were intended to dominate. Some musicians have pushed the idea that drums must accompany everything all the time.
    The singing voices of the body of Christ must be our primary focus in giving Him all the Glory,Honor and Praise since it is with our voices we express His Word in magnifying Him. Percussion has a place...but it should always be kept in check and used carefully so as to not bring glory to the percussionist over the voices.

In Messiah,
    Tim

20. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Until today, this thread was last posted to in 2006. That makes this a zombie thread so I'm closing it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.