1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DTS Offer to NOBTS & RTS Students

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by GARick, Sep 3, 2005.

1. GARick

GARick New Member

FYI if you know students from either school:

TO: NOBTS & RTS

The Dallas Seminary family has been profoundly touched by the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina and its aftermath. In the spirit of Christian love and fellowship, we would like to offer an invitation to your students to study tuition-free at the Dallas campus of DTS for the Fall 2005 semester.

http://www.dts.edu/katrina/nobtsrtsoffer.aspx

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am happy to see Dallas Theological Seminary step up to the plate (at least here). I pray that other schools do the same. Martin.

3. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I pray that Baptists will hold to our distinctives and go to baptist schools and not DTS ...

4. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. As many have seen lately I am not a over-all fan of DTS. I believe it's promotion of easy-believism has damaged the church (Zane Hodges taught there for 27 years, Bob Wilkin, Tony Evans, etc). While it does have some fine professors (Darrell Bock (NT) Dwight Pentecost (Esch) and the late John Walvoord) it is a very problematic situation. However I do like its offer and believe it is good. Since it is only for one semester I don't think it would be tragic if a Baptist student attended DTS. However since Liberty University, a baptist school, (see my post) is offering programs there is at least one baptist offering. Reformed is also making a simular offer. Sadly I have not seen SWBTS, SEBTS, or the others do the same. So some students may have no other choice than DTS for this one semester.

Martin.

5. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I guess I am not sure why a student would go to DTS anyhow....it seems pretty clear from what NOBTS has stated that they are going to get every student through this semester in their own program....so why would there be a need to even consider DTS?

6. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Of course DTS wants to take more baptists into their denomination.

they continue to dilute God's Word from being taught from God's pulpits.

Let DTS ruin their denomination.

7. Convicted by the Spirit

EL_GUERO,

Momma always said if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all. The offer from DTS and Liberty was great and was made to offer blessings in a time of chaos. Some people do not have anything at all at the present moment and free tuition is a great blessing right now.

Your words could not have been any more tearing down and insulting to the offer made by DTS. I don't agree with their doctrine nor the fact that their tuition is so high and will probably never attend. In a time such as this did you honestly pay attention to your words before you posted? Like Martin said I don't see SWBTS, SEBTS or SBTS making the same offer. Granted the tuition at SBC schools is lower for sbc students a reason. The SBC has made it so basically no Baptist minded student would ever have to attend a seminary outside the SBC with all the extension sites. The NOBTS has the most extension sites of all 6 if memory serves correct. I thank Mark Bailey for opening its doors in such a manner. By the way momma is not even a Christian.

8. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Convicted,

When you became pejorative, I tried to take it offline and defuse it.

DTS does not teach Baptist doctrine. Baptist Doctrine has always been closest to the NT. If it wasn't, I would not be Baptist. Teaching otherwise dilutes the true Gospel.

Yes, I am proud that I am a Baptist.

Enough said.

9. GARick

GARick New Member

The offer from DTS and this thread were offered in "the spirit of Christian love and fellowship” to assist NOBTS and RTS students in a time of desperate need. If you do not personally know a student who might benefit from the offer then the thread was not intended for you. If you are interested in debating theological viewpoints I respectfully ask that you start your own thread in the “Baptist Theology…” or “Other Christian Denominations” forums where such discussions will be welcome.

10. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Being realistic I doubt many (if any) NOBTS students will take DTS, Liberty, or RTS up on their offers. I believe the offers were made as a sign of Christian charity and fellowship. As I said above I don't see a problem in a NOBTS student spending one semester at DTS. I have serious problems with DTS and I would hope a NOBTS would choose Liberty over DTS.

Martin.

11. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Liberty, under Falwell, believes in the same dispensational theology that DTS teaches. It is comical to see some advocating Liberty over DTS when they teach the same doctrine.

Some of you don't really know what you are talking about.

12. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I also wondered why DTS would be considered incompatible for Baptists. From what I've seen of the SOF, it doesn't seem to be far off from what quite a few Baptists believe.

13. Dave G.

Dave G. New Member

Paul,

I don't think Martin is referring to a doctrinal difference.

Dave G.

14. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Hi,

I was referring specifically to El Guero.

What do you think Martin is referring to?

15. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Many SBC types believe in Easy Believism.

Walvoord and Pentecost, IMO, are not great professors.

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Look at www.swbts.edu and see how many professors have degrees from DTS and have written books in support of what DTS teaches.

Craig Blasing, the provost at SWBTS co-authored "Progressive Dispensationalism, Victor Books, 1993; Baker, 2000"

Paige Patterson, the president, is a dispensationalist.

DTS at SWBTS is happening right before our eyes.

17. greek geek

greek geek New Member

I am appalled at the hatred - yes hatred - evident on this board, by some, towards DTS. Granted DTS is not a perfect seminary. Yet neither is SWBTS, they have their own imperfections.

If you do not like DTS, then do not associate with it. But to condemn it the way I have often seen it done on this site, is just appalling. With many of the statements about DTS being down right wrong. For example, they most certainly do not teach "easy believe-ism."

So it's not a Baptist seminary. Baptist are not better than other Christians. I am Baptist for a reason - but not because I'm better than anyone else - or because I have a better "theology" than any other Christian.

And for the record...there are many professors at DTS who are solid Baptists. And many students who are also "good 'ole Baptists."

18. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I must have missed something....can you copy the occassions of "hatred" posted on here towards DTS?

This is a discussion board and people are free to post their opinions and thoughts on topics.

19. greek geek

greek geek New Member

I understand and appreciate the nature of expressing opinions. The dialog between opinions is what I look for on this board.

The “hatred” I refer to is statements that go beyond opinions to showing animosity. I completely understand that some do not like DTS because it is not Baptist. That is their opinion which they have a right to express on this board. Some do not like the dispensational theology. Again, that is their opinion and right. Others may not personally like the professors - again that is their opinion and they are free to share such an opinion. (Even I have professors there that I do not like.)

But when sweeping statements are made that label DTS with false labels that are clearly intended to spread animosity - that is what I take afront to. Such examples are statements claiming that DTS teaches “easy believe-ism” (it does not). In fact I have heard many professors strongly condemn such a view.

Claims that DTS wants to “take more baptists into their denomination” (DTS does not follow one denomination, but clearly seeks to provide solid Christian theology that explores and discusses various denomination beliefs that are valid Christian viewpoints). The professors all come from various denominations.

Statements that “they continue to dilute God's Word from being taught from God's pulpits.” Such statement could be claimed to be an opinion, but there is no foundation offered for such a statement, and clearly on a board such as this, this statement is intended to malign the integrity of DTS. Since Baptist (and all Christians) clearly (should) be staunch about not diluting God’s Word. And “diluting God’s Word” is something that should be based on fact not opinion…prove it if you claim it.

There have been many posts by people who personally do not like DTS and state such opinion but do so with fairness. Others, however, post in such a way as to encourage and spread animosity. Using sweeping statements to inaccurately label DTS. Those are statements that come from hatred not opinion. Those are the statements that troubles me.

20. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    greek geek is correct.

While I do not attend DTS, I have known many who have, including the man who led me to Christ. While I'm sure it has it's faults, overall it is a fine school. They created the ThM degree back in the '30's by adding an additional year onto the standard program. Overall it is a very scholarly school, whether or not you agree with their eschatology. While they are not part of a denomination, MANY baptists attend there and teach there. As far as I know, nothing at DTS disagrees with the Baptist Faith & Message.

Painting with the broad brush of "easy believism" is a logical fallacy, and usupported.

Further, I'm pretty sure that both Walvoord and Pentecost are deceased.

Statements such as "diluting God's word" are unfair, unsupported, and uncalled for. To me, this shows a lack of being able to distinguish between things that we are commanded to agreeably disagree (see Romans 14) from things that we must condemn (see 1 Cor. 15:14,17; Gal. 1).

The true focus of our condemnation should not be with conservative schools that have held to orthodox doctrines, such as DTS, but with schools that have gone liberal, or those who are in the process of going liberal, and those who are denying inerrancy, or re-defining the nature of God. That should be our battleground today, and not all this name-calling because we don't like their view on peripheral issues.