Dual Membership - Orginial question

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Salty

Salty
    Expand Collapse
    20,000 Posts Club

I started the thread on Dual membership.

It got to be a very interesting discussion. However, my original question was:

Code:

Suppose someone wanted to join your 
    church, but they told you they would 
    maintain membership in another 
    denominational :saint: church ie Methodist, 
    COC, Presbyterian, ect.
    What would be your response to them

It was not meant to be about maintaining membership in two separate Baptist churches.

So, lets keep this one to having membership in different churches of DIFFERENT DENOMINATIONS

thanks
    and let the augments begin:tongue3:

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for getting us back on track. My answer is no, you can't have it both ways.

3. Salty

Salty
    Expand Collapse
    20,000 Posts Club

So if, say a Methodist, was convinced he should be immersed and wanted to join you church. A week after the 98th St Baptist Church voted him, he stated he would maintain membership in the 99th St Methodist Church, because his wife was still a member there.
    What would you do?

Salty

PS some of my best friends are Methodist:saint:

4. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant
    Expand Collapse

We wouldn't allow it either. When someone comes by letter for membership, we write their former church and request them to send us their letter and/or remove their name from membership.

We don't allow dual memberships even with other baptist churches. We tell them that it's no big deal to keep moving their membership from their church up north to their church in florida.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell
    Expand Collapse

Every church does it their own way but I do not see an issue so long as the other church is like minded. If they are here 6 months out of the year (which is common in Fl) and want to tithe and serve faithfully while they are here and are in good standing in the other church (not that churches would tell someone if they were not) then I cannot see any problems.

6. saturneptune

saturneptune
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

It is just my opinion, but one local church should be served at a time. Between two denominations is not good because, although some are close, they are not of like faith and order, (ie, baptism, osas, etc). There is nothing wrong with cooperative ministry efforts amongst churches, but to divide your alligence 50-50 is not fair to either church.

As far as serving in two churches of the same stripe, I still think it is not a good idea, as again, it splits effort of time, talent, and money.

You brought up the common situation of a married couple going to two different churches of two different denominations. That is not a good thing. If each of the two feels so strongly about his or her doctrine they will not go to the other church, it can divide a family. Maybe that should have been discussed during the engagement. If the differences are minor, it is much better to go together. To maintain a name on a roll because a spouse goes there, and give it only minor attention is not what church membership is all about.

7. nodak

nodak
    Expand Collapse

I stopped posting in the Baptist only forums when I resigned formal membership in the local Baptist church, but my status is reflected in this question.

I resigned from the Baptist church when I joined a church not affiliated with the Baptists. My understanding is the Baptist church did not remove me from membership but rather put me on the inactive list. I have no problem with that because if I ever move I will surely be looking for another Baptist church.

What think ye?

(And apologies to mods--I know the rules and do not intentionally break them--this might reflect bending them, though! I am gone!)

8. Tom Butler

Tom Butler
    Expand Collapse

I'll have to check with our church clerk, but I'm not sure we would contact the former church of another denomination to inform them he had joined our church. We certainly would to another church of like faith and order.

On occasion, we have learned one way or the other that one of our members had joined a church of another denomination. The church will immediately remove them from our roll, regardless of the individual's wishes. Another way of putting it is that we withdraw fellowship from them. This confirms what they have already done.

This does not mean we will shun them or not welcome them if they visit. They simply no longer have the privileges that go with membership.

I'll repeat myself. Each church shall determine who shall be accepted for membership. The individual should not dictate the terms under which he will join a church.

That said, I guess if a church will allow a member to maintain dual membership in a church of another denomination, it can do it.

If a Florida church wishes to accommodate the snowbirds in some way, it can do that, too.

It's a pretty low view of church membership, if you ask me, on both sides.

9. thomas15

thomas15
    Expand Collapse

I have been in independent non-demoninational churches that were more Baptist than some Baptist churches around here. So, I guess it depends. The Baptist church in the town that I grew up is much more liberal than the Methodist church here.

I guess, while there are big differences in the theology of most Baptist churches compared to Methodist, it is no where as big as the differences between Methodist and Rome. When I was saved, I was baptised in a Presbyterian church and thus sprinkled. When I joined a Baptist church, I had to be re-baptised.

So I really don't know what the answer is but it is an interesting question.
    Tom

10. convicted1

convicted1
    Expand Collapse
    Retired Staff

RE: Dual membership-Original question

I haven't posted in a while but this caught my attention, so I'll try to tell you why I see nothing wrong with dual membership. First and foremost, the "church" as we call it, is merely a building. Why do I call it a building? The same building we call a "church" can be used for weddings, household and bridal showers, etc. The CHURCH is in our body when the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost comes into our lives. We are the church, the Bride of Christ, and also the body of Christ, who is the Head of that body. Wasn't it Apostle Paul that wrote that God doesn't dwell in temples made with man's hands? When Jesus returns to execute judgement, these buildings will burn with fervent heat, but our "church"(our bodies) will be changed into a glorified body and forever be with Him. Now, we can have our names in a baptist church, methodist, pentecostal, presbyterian, church of Christ, seventh day adventist, etc, but if our names aren't enrolled in the Lamb's Book of Life, it doesn't matter at all where we have our membership.

Now don't get me wrong, I go to "church" every chance I get, because I enjoy the fellowship of my Brothers and Sisters in Christ. The bible says to not forget the assembling together, or something along those lines(that verse has slipped my mind).But if they have membership in Florida during the winter, and here in the summer, I don't have a problem with it. We as baptists, tend to nitpick when we shouldn't.

This last november, I took membership at another church in a different association that isn't in ANY correspondence with my old church. I sent word to take my name off the book because I knew when they found out I had went somewhere else, they would have taken it off anyways.

Now here is a question I pose to you all. What would be the biggest stumbling block for y'all if any members in your church had membership elsewhere? Why would it be a problem? I have known where someone left a church because they stirred up a bunch of trouble, and they eventually left and went elsewhere, but were never a member at both places. I could understand if you knew someone's history and didn't want them as a member, but what if you didn't know their past, and all you had was their word?(OK, I had more than "A" question:laugh: ) We as CHRISTians, can only go on their word, and in time, they will show what they truly have on the inside. As long as they represent themselves as a good CHRISTian, I don't see the problem with dual membership. But this is just my humble, honest, and sincere opinion.

Willis

11. Tom Butler

Tom Butler
    Expand Collapse

The 98th Street Methodist Church should tell him thanks but no thanks.

Frankly, I'm not sure what my church would do because we've never faced the question. I would hope that it would revoke his membership in my church. There is more, much more, to this than just putting your name on the roll.

12. Tom Butler

Tom Butler
    Expand Collapse

I've already helped hijack the other thread on this subject. I'm not touching this with a 10-foot pole.

13. saturneptune

saturneptune
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Imagine that.

14. Tom Butler

Tom Butler
    Expand Collapse

Originally Posted by Tom Butler
    I've already helped hijack the other thread on this subject. I'm not touching this with a 10-foot pole.

I know you're shocked. Actually, I'm kinda shocked myself.