1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Duel Church membership

Discussion in 'Vets and Friends' started by Salty, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the Baptist & Theology Forum, I started a thread with the subject of the Universal church.
    It took off into the direction of dual membership. This was especially directed at military personnel who are stationed away from their hometown.

So, why duel membership? The purpose of membership is to be committed to your church.
    If you are overseas for three years - what impact are you going to have on your home church? Which church receives your offerings? or do you give half to both? Do you vote at your stateside church on important. (When I was in - we would only have snail mail- but today with skyping - that would be a possibility.)
    Suppose I told you that, yes I am stationed overseas - and my wife will stay stateside. But while I am overseas, I will have a duel marriage! OH my goodness.

When I went to a new post on PCS, I would always join a local congregation. As a lifer, you would never know, if and when you would ever return to your HOR.

Now, I would say that someone who is NGR - goes to basic (about 8 weeks) and AIT/Tech school 4-16 weeks - and then they go back to there homtown NGR unit - yes, I would see no need for them to join a local church for the short time they would be at those training bases. In fact, I remember when I was at Quartermaster School -Ft Lee, Va; the pastor of Faith Baptist wanted to know when I was going to join - I had only been there about 4 weeks - and I only had about 3 weeks till graduation. Never did join there.

One other thing. When I was in Germany, we had some Nam vets in our church who had been members of Trinity Baptist Church in Saigon - !

Open for discussion.

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I moved my letter around the country as I PCS'd.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Since this is in the vets forum, maybe you meant to say it this way but I think you mean "dual" rather than "duel" - unless you really do plan to duel with the pastor at the church you want to join. ;)

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since you are at an overseas church for only a year or 2 - it is eaiser to "duel" with your pastor - because sooner or later (usually sooner) one of you will be gone soon - if not at least on a TDY....

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I always moved my letter as I joined a new church.

Any other comments as to why you did or didn't, esp at an overseas base?