1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Duggar Family

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by freeatlast, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

What an absolute blessing to read about and see this family. Their Christian values are a great encouragement.
    http://www.duggarfamily.com/

Jim Bob & Michelle Duggar married July 21st, 1984. At that time, they chose to use the birth control pill. They thought, “We don’t want children right now. We can’t afford them. We want children in our timing, when we’re ready.” Four years later they decided to have their first child. Then, Michelle went back on the pill, but she conceived and had a miscarriage. At that point they talked with a Christian medical doctor and read the fine print in the contraceptives package. They found that while taking the pill you can get pregnant and then miscarry. They were grieved! They were Christians! They were pro-life! They realized that their selfish actions had taken the life of their child. They prayed and asked God to forgive them, and to teach them to love children like He loves children. They asked God to bless them with as many children as He saw fit in His timing. Right after that Michelle got pregnant with twins! To date they have been blessed with 17 children, (10 boys and 7 girls) Joshua (& wife Anna), Jana & John-David (twins), Jill, Jessa, Jinger, Joseph, Josiah, Joy-Anna, Jedidiah & Jeremiah (twins), Jason, James, Justin, Jackson, Johannah, Jennifer (and #18 due in January 2009!).

#1 freeatlast, Jan 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2011
  2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Just wait till some of the folks here respond with their judgement on this family.

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

Yeah..."Dugger family" ranks up there with "KJVO" and "Cal/Arm" on the BB strife-o-meter...

Just to prove how unique we all are: I did a jr. high New Year's party last night. My first thought upon reading the post is..."Wow...they end up raising 18 Junior-highers..."

:D :D

4. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

That would definitely be interesting, having that many children!

I don't agree with the concept of nobody using birth control, ever, but so many are unaware of the risks of some types and the entire concept very over-used.

Seems that there's nothing natural that humans haven't tried to outsmart God on so that moral laws can be violated. Think of who most birth control is marketed too...young unmarried women.

5. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

It's one thing to have a large family, and that's fine. It's another to have THAT large of a family. I don't think that it's possible to have that many kids and adequately parent them.

6. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I assume that you have some personal knowledge that this family has failed their Lord or you certainly would not make such an accusation, being the good Christian that you are.
    So tell us where do you and the Lord draw the line on how many children a couple should have?

#6 freeatlast, Jan 1, 2011
  7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I have never heard or seen any adds targeting the young or the un-wed. In fact contraceptives simply target those who want the pleasure of intimacy without the responsibilities of childbirth and that has no age or marital implications.
    I am glad to see that this family chose the way of the Lord which is a blessing.

8. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Have you ever seen an ad for birth control pills that include a father, mother, and child, and they're deciding which brand to use to prevent a second, third, or fourth kid?

What you see is a single, very young looking female with a perfect body. Proof positive she ain't married. :laugh:

For real though, the ads use very young looking females and rarely include a male unless he's grasping her around the waist from behind and looking like he wants to...hug the girl.

Many argue that it's a women's right thing. Women should be able to control their reproductive system. That's one of the big pushes a lot of women's rights groups use to advocate all this stuff.

Tell me honestly why we even need the pill for birth control purposes. If you're married there are other ways, if you're not, holding a penny with the sides of your knees until the urge passes should do quite nicely if you're that tempted to be immoral.

As for the Duggar family? They made a choice for their family and I think the result is very cool. Just think of how many more believers there would be in this world if we cared less about having "stuff" and more about raising large, God-fearing families that would carry on the tradition.

That would be amazing.

9. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "there is nothing that more debilitates females than frequent childbearing." —John Calvin, Commentary on Genesis 12:11

10. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I have little use for john calvin. he was a murderer and a bigot from what i have read about him.
    so that statement does not surprise me.

11. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Yep, our culture has learned to hate families that are large, and to mock them, as though some own them, and have some authority to tell them what they can and cannot do. Our culture is thoroughly indoctrinated by the PC nonsense. Even believers. :)

12. sag38

sag38 Active Member

My wife loves the show and in watching it with her, from time to time, it seems that they do a great job with their children. I don't care too much for thier ultra fundamentalism and the wife's voice gets on my nerves so I'm not a fan of the show. But, I certainly applaud their God given ability to manage such a large family.

13. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Forgive me if this has been covered, no time to read every post this morning.

Michelle Duggar seems to be a wonderful mom but is a bit behind the science in her evaluation of bc pills.

I'm no great fan of them myself, but the ones usually prescribed today are all about suppressing ovulation, not abortifacients as some forms of the early ones indeed were.

My dr, when I asked about this, gave me a flyer that showed how many spontaneous miscarriages occur per hundred pregnancies both on and off the bc pill. There were far fewer ON the pill than OFF. So in theory, if you really want to prevent the loss of babies, you could support rather than reject the pill. He also pointed out that there are a few women with hormonal issues that only get pregnant and maintain it if on bc pills early in the pregnancy. Rare, but it does happen.

So all that said to say this: if God has indeed directed the Duggars to not use bc and to have these children, I applaud their obedience.

If God has not so directed you and you believe the bc pill is right for you, do NOT let bad quiverful science guilt you into not using this method of bc.

14. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Your Doctor may be miss in formed. The pill today can cause abortions.
    http://www.prolife.com/BIRTHCNT.html
    Also God does not make different directives for one over another when it is about morality, or sin. The fact that these poeople chose to not use the pill is an acknowledgement to the God that they serve.

#14 freeatlast, Jan 1, 2011
  15. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are other forms of bc besides "the pill" and I do not believe it is a sin to use such. If the Duggars want a big family and they have the means to financially and emotionally support such, that's their business. However, one's ability to breed a large number of children should not be used as a litmus test for their spirituality.

16. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Fair enough - neither should it be a litmus test on which to pass judgement on them.

#16 NaasPreacher (C4K), Jan 1, 2011
  17. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

The bible does not suggest or command large families, but it is clear that what ever number of children that a couple has they are to raised in the Lord and today even the small families do not meet that standard for the most part. As for the family in the OP they need to be praised for their diligent efforts to raise a godly family, something that most other claimed Christians could learn from.

18. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ChildAbuseWatch.net

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

If a husband and wife want to have a zillion children, that is between them and God, but I do have a problem with "reality" shows that have a camera in the faces of children.

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow, you really need to update your history of John Calvin then & quit slandering him. He was neither of what you portrayed him as.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.