1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Duggars expecting child #19

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by webdog, Sep 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Seeing a our children's irresponsibility and pulling them back to practice things correctly for a time is very appropriate.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Hmm - I was just thinking more on this as I was getting ready to go out.

How did I rescue her from her mistakes? She's footing the bill. She's reaping consequences.

Enabling would have been to have continued to allow her to charge things and spend money while we paid off the bill to rescue her.

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess we qualify. My wife and I have had 11 children.

As they were growing up they each were given work assignments, (individually and group). The older took care of the much of the younger's needs. We had an 80 acre farm in the State of Maine and raised much of our own food. Cut wood off our land for heating the house.

We were/are a happy healthy family. My kids loved the outdoors, skating, sledding, fishing, hunting. When we moved from the State our family doctor said that even as big as we were, we were one of the few families he had served that apart from a case of appendicitis, hadn't had a family trauma or tragedy (Thank You Lord!).

Tending to the farm crops (including making Maple Syrup) and animals (feeding chickens, goats, pigs, gathering eggs, milking cow and goats, etc) were areas of complaint with plenty of sibling rivalries but now when we get together with the kids and grandkids they happily reminisce for hours about "the good ole days", going through the picture albums.

When Christian people were bold enough to tell us we had to many kids, we would ask "which ones should we send back?".

No, we are not perfect.
    No, we are not "quiverfull".

HankD

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The statement "No, we are not 'quiverfull' is a crux. The Duggar's adhere strictly to the scriptural perversion of the quiverfull movement. You do not. The duggers also abuse their parental authority in regards to their adult children. You do not.

5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

No evidence of that. It is simply not factual

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Been over that. They forbid their adult daughters from leaving the house until they are married. They forbid their daughters from attending college. They forbid their daughters from leaving the home to attend college. That's an abuse of parental authority.

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

No it isn't and there is no logic to support that.

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Yes it is, and it's logical.

Any parent that forbids his adult child from leaving home has got a screw loose. Any parent that forbids his adult child from attending college has got more than one screw loose.

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Simply using the term "adult child" does nothing to support your position nor does it work to incriminate the Duggars. And of course suggesting they have a "Screw loose" only shows your irrational disregard for certain family values.

10. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In this heartwarming clip, Jim Bob has Mrs. Jim Bob shave his neck between contractions as he needs to "freshen up" for the trip to the hospital.

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are correct John.

Most of our kids were out the door on or shortly after their 18th birthday.
    We didn't try to stop them, we would give advice if we were bothered by a less than thought out departure or our blessing if we were pleased.

We reluctantly "liberated" one of our sons when he was 17 so he could join the service. He turned out fine, finished highschool (GED) and went on to college after finishing his tour in the Navy.

We always warmly welcomed back (temporarily) those whose less than thoughtful departure failed to produce their concept of "freedom" and helped them to achieve real independence.

HankD

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Sure it does. Adult children are adults. Any parent who inflicts his will over another adult is abusing parental authority. Doesn't matter if it's the Duggers or anyone else. This isn't a matter of "my house my rules, if you dont' like it you can leave", it's a matter of "my house my rules, and you're not allowed to leave the house even though you're over 18".
    If a parent forbids one of their children who is over 18 from attending college, and claims to do so under the banner of familiy values, that parent is perverting the sanctity of family values, not to mention, that parent definitely has his priorities screwed up.

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No proof here

How is it perverting?

#93 Revmitchell, Sep 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2009
  14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Can you show me in the Scriptures where we are to no longer parent our children when they're "adults" before they're married? Because I can show you where we are.

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

LOL - I cleaned my bathrooms i between contractions. I did a load of laundry and made the bed. Most women do things during labor. What's so bad about trimming hubby up during labor? You DO realize that labor isn't a 40 minute event but sometimes takes days, right?

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

"Would you trim my neck?"

"Sure.......It gives me something to do."

Certainly seems really controlling and wrong.

?????

What was your point in posting this?

17. rbell

rbell Active Member

Many of the posts here are quite humorous...or sad...I haven't decided which.

I need lots of help from God in raising my own kids. I'm not ready to offer judgement on all the "shortcomings" of every parent I ever encounter.

18. Johnv

Johnv New Member

We're never supposed to stop being parents. No argument there. But what the Duggars are doing with their adult children is they're abusing the parental role. Forbidding an adult child from leaving the home, or forbidding them from attending college, how can anyone consider that responsible parenting?
    ??? No proof? Are you saying saying the duggars aren't forbidding their adult female children from leaving moving away from home, or are not forbidding them from going to college?
    Are you saying that it's perfectly permissible, or even responsible for a parent to forbid their adult children (that is, children over 18) from going to college?

#98 Johnv, Sep 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2009
  19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think not. Argue what I actually say, not what you want to hear.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Not allowing an adult to leave your residence is not "obedience to parents". You do not seem to know what obedience to parents is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.