1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dumbest Generation Getting Dumber

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Jun 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The teaching establishment and politicians have hoodwinked taxpayers into believing that more money is needed to improve education. The Washington, D.C., school budget is about the nation's costliest, spending about $15,000 per pupil. Its student/teacher ratio, at 15.2 to 1, is lower than the nation's average. Yet student achievement is just about the lowest in the nation. What's so callous about the Washington situation is about 1,700 children in kindergarten through 12th grade receive the $7,500 annual scholarships in order to escape rotten D.C. public schools, and four times as many apply for the scholarships, yet Congress, beholden to the education establishment, will end funding the school voucher program.

More Here

2. BigBossman

BigBossman Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have never been supportive of what I call the "its for the kids tax". Anytime political figures in Mobile County want to try raising our taxes, they always like to use education as a reason for the increase. Then they also say that our property taxes are amongst the lowest in the nation. I say that's true & they way you keep it that way is to vote "NO" everytime you have a tax proposal in front of you.

I also believe the reason that student may be "dumber" than before is because a lot of schools will lower the bar to make it so that everyone will have high marks. I guess this is done to make students feel good about themselves until they get into the real world.

I never was a straight A student, but I did what I had to do to keep my grades up. Part of my motivation was keeping my grades up so I wouldn't lose my priviliges. If I brought home any D's, I'd automatically lose priviliges until the next report card. If on the last report card for that year I brought home a D, I'd have to wait until the first report card of the next school year before I could have a chance to regain my priviliges.

On the flipside, I got $10.00 for every A that I brought home, not counting P.E. P.E. was too easy because all you had to do was dress out & at least pretend to play whatever they were doing that day. I have only managed to make the honor roll twice, once in the sixth grade (I made the lowest honor roll) & once in the seventh grade (I made the middle honor roll).

Parents need to be the driving force behind their child's education. If they don't get involved in some way, then they are doomed to fail.

3. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Branding an entire generation "The Dumbest Generation" shows more ignorance. Particularly when this is about education spending. Perhaps the funds are being spent on the wrong things, but the kids are not "dumb". Now some adults....

4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

So you got nothing.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  6. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

I may agree with the substance of his post, but I can't be sure because I haven't read it. To start off by calling my kids the "Dumbest Generation" doesn't gain any points with me. If he wants to attack the way money is spent on education, why not do that instead of opening with an attack on the kids themselves?

7. targus

targus New Member

Maybe he was using the title of the article as the title of the thread?

"Dumbest Generation Getting Dumber
    By Walter E. Williams"

Did you read the article?

If not, why bother to post?

8. matt wade

I never said it was Revmitchell that came up with the title. I know it was Walter Williams. I actually enjoy listening to him when he guest hosts for Rush, but in this case I think his choice for title was poor.

Next time don't be so quick to assume something that you don't have an idea about targus.

9. targus

targus New Member

I assumed nothing other than that you were using words that accurately expressed you thoughts.

"I may agree with the substance of his post, but I can't be sure because I haven't read it. To start off by calling my kids the "Dumbest Generation" doesn't gain any points with me. If he wants to attack the way money is spent on education, why not do that instead of opening with an attack on the kids themselves?"

Walter Williams is not posting on this board - however Revmitchell is.

I notice that you did not answer my question.

If you did not read the article why bother posting?

10. matt wade

I'm very sorry that you don't like my use of the word "post" targus. I'll make sure to change my language to suit you in the future.

As I stated in my original post (is the the proper usage for you?), I did not read the article because the title of it threw me off. An article was posted, I began to read it, but because of the title I stopped reading it. I then made a comment about that. What's wrong with that? Are we not allowed to comment on the title of articles?

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can anyone prove the current generations does not suffer from a lack of education that previous generations have had?

12. Magnetic Poles

You made the assertion. You bear the burden of proof.

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wrong once again. The writer of the article made the assertion. I asked because vague claims to the contrary were made by you and at least one other. The article defends his position you just blurted out offense with no support. The burden of proof is yours.

14. Magnetic Poles

Read again...I made no claim, therefore nothing to prove (or disprove).
    So once again, ya got nothin'! Figured.

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Here you go short term memory.

16. Magnetic Poles

Thank you, Mr. Just Proved My Point.

17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well we can all see that you did make a claim. But since you cannot back it up you play these games. Good luck with that.

18. Magnetic Poles

You should quit playing dumb. I made no claim, not even in the quote.

19. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Then just what were you offended about? You cannot express offends without making a claim.

#19 Revmitchell, Jun 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2009
  20. Magnetic Poles

No. I was pointing out that using a broad brush to brand an entire generation as "dumb" or "the dumbest generation" is a form of ignorance in and of itself. I am sure our generations parents thought we did some dumb things. Children live up to or down to what is expected of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.