1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dusty Baker, Abuser of Pitchers?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by TomVols, Oct 3, 2009.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

2. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Indeed. I'm a vocal critic of Dusty Baker around here, but it appears that he's learned some lessons from how he destroyed Mark Prior. I wonder if the realization that he was doing the same bad things in Cincy that he did in Chicago came to him after he almost destroyed Aaron Harang last year. Remember that he stupidly pitched Harang in a 15 inning game 2 days after his regular start. Afterwards, Harang was simply awful after that and it took him almost 3 months to recover, which included a 15 day trip to the DL.

If it's true that Dusty's changed his ways, that bodes well for a pitching staff that's actually been pretty good over the last month or so. This is at least the 2nd year in a row I've said this, but I like the Reds starters for next year, especially if Cueto and Bailey continue their improvement and Volquez comes back somewhere close to his 2008 campaign.

Is it me, or do the Reds seem like a team that's just way too young to be competitive in the Central? Every good team I've ever seen has a mix of veterans and young players and the Reds seem to have far more young players than they do veterans. I'm not a big proponent of "clubhouse leadership", which tends to be shorthand for, "this guy is way past his prime, but we need to find something nice to say about him", but I'm not convinced it should be dismissed out of hand either.

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

That was my one problem with getting rid of both Dunn and Griffey...no leadership. That said, leadership comes with time. Talent doesn't. But I have to wonder if some veteran leadership would not have helped the Reds back in the late spring when they were in the mix in the Central.

Volquez may not be the same. I wonder if he hasn't been Priored. Lots of work last year, winter ball, and the WBC (I think winter ball did more harm). His arm was just blown up. The key is Harang. He has to get back to form. But Owings is servicable, Johnny and Bronson can deal, and Homer may just be Homer Bailey after all.

The Reds announced that they will not bring back Dick Pole as we have discussed. That opens the door for a new pitching coach. Maybe Dusty has mended his ways. Will Teddy Power get a "call-up " or will Jocketty go outside the family and steal Dave Duncan from LaRussa.

4. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Griffey had gotten old and bad, so that wasn't such a bad deal. I still don't understand why they traded Dunn.

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

After posting, I'd regretted that I didn't expound by saying just that. I don't believe Grif is a leader. He's one of the all-time greats, but no leadership abilities. Dunner could've provided a bit of leadership, but I don't know how much. Clearly, I think Jocketty is trying to (inexplicably) build a team that beats the ball around the yard instead of out of the yard. Most Sabremetrics fans applauded the trade of Dunn, citing his high strikeout ratio. But as Marty likes to say, "You gotta make an out somehow." Dunn isn't a "productive out" batter. So what? I think there were times when the Reds could've used him this year, but I don't know if the net games won would be any different. When you think about the injuries this team suffered and still wound up fighting for third in that division....makes you wonder. With a healthy pitching staff, a healthy and productive Bruce, a healthy Votto, and with Brandon playing the way he's capable, if the Reds solve the lead off man dilemma, this team could make some noise.

6. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Mark Reynolds set a record for number of strikeouts this year with 223. He also had a line of .260/.349/.543/.892 with 44 HR, 24 stolen bases, 76 walks and 102 RBI. When asked about his strikeouts, Reynolds answer was, "So what?" After the idiots on the Mike and Mike show sort of went off on that, they had Keith Law on the show and Keith's answer about the strikeouts was, basically, "So what?"

That's my answer to anything that's said negatively about Dunn's strikeouts. So what? The guy hits 40 HRs every year.

Not that I think there's a chance that they could get him, but Chone Figgins would certainly take care of this problem.

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Couldn't agree more about Dunn. HOFers make an out two out of three times, and one of the ways you do it is by striking out. At least you're not hitting into double plays with a K.

As for Figgins, oh, a guy could only dream. I think Yanish is a terriffic SS and Rolen is good at 3B, but neither are long term problem solvers. Rosales is the prototypical Red, but where do you put him and is his paltry .210ish avg enough? You could keep the CFs the Reds have and platoon Stubbs/Dickerson, but I think Jocketty would love to get an everyday CF to fill that spot. If Ryan Freel had stayed healthy, I think he could've fit in nicely. How can you not like a guy who gets his uniform dirty in warmups?

Nevermind me, I'm the guy who thinks the Reds have a shot since they closed so strong.