1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dying for a Cause

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Dr. Bob, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The muslim clerics, quoting q'ran, offer Paradise to the faithful who die in a holy war. We mock their devotion and despise their slaughter of the innocents on 9.11

But Pope Urban II did exactly the same thing when recruiting soldiers for a crusade to "tear that land from the wicked race" in AD 1095. Slaughtering an infidel was virtuous; reputation and profit could be gained from joining the pope's army.

But the promise that this act of "penance" would free them from purgatory and guarantee heaven was motivation enough. One observer of the subsequent slaughter of women, children, Jews and moslem caused the streets of Jerusalem "to flow in blood up to the bridal reins."

What goes around (in the name of religion) comes around (in the name of religion).

2. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

This just goes to show that religion, without the Gospel, is dangerous.

3. True Blue Tuna

True Blue Tuna New Member

I think it shows the danger of fundamentalism and fanatacism. The one common element between the European crusaders and the Islamic suicide bombers is that they were both fundamentalist and fanatic. I bet that if someone had the time to look it up, you'd find the same was true of Hindu terrorists as well.

I read a definition of fundamentalism that was both funny and sad: "Fundamentalists: people who are only doing the works that God Himself would do -- that is, if God only had all the facts."

None of us are so "plugged in" to the mind and heart of God that we should try and be his little viceroy on earth. We're too fallible for such a monumental position.