1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eagles or vultures?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by robycop3, Apr 24, 2007.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, Hebrew and Aramaic were sister dialects, not so different--from what I've read, since I never studied Aramaic.

2. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Oops. I posted this on the wrong thread, so I'm re-posting it here. If it's a non-sequiter, I apologize:

A question to those who live in other parts of the world: What are the eagles like in your area?

I have observed that even vultures are majestic while soaring, BTW. What do vultures eat when there is no roadkill?

One thing that I have found to be beneficial is when reading about animals or plants with which I am familiar, I look them up to see what they are like in Israel, particularly if I can find out what they were like when the Scriptures were written.

Swine, for example, aren't the lazy, fat, rolling around in slop animals that I had on the farm when growing up. They are more akin to javelinas, which are fierce and vicious, but do enjoy a good roll in the muck.

Goats, are soft-haired animals that were used to make wigs. Think about this when reading about Jacob and Esau, and look at the root Hebrew words.

There are mustard trees in the area of Palestine, as well as South America, although the ones in South America, I don't think were being talked about.

There are more, and I always find more that I have not looked up. Sometimes it's beneficial, sometimes not.

3. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

There were apparently great numbers of vultures that hung out with the Roman army. Lots of leftovers after battle.

4. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

But according to Strong's Concordance, the word Luke does use can also be used of a corpse. Just one example, John 19.40:

Then they took the body of Jesus, and bound it in strips of linen with the spices, as the custom of the Jews is to bury.​

5. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Eagles & vultures are in the same "family", and the vulture has sharp eyesight as the eagle does, the difference being that vultures are looking for dead or dying animals while the eagle is looking first for live prey, but won't ignore a tempting carcass.

In the USA, we have the common black vulture & the turkey vulture; each is often called a "buzzard". Condors are 'related' to them also. They are also 'related to storks, which, of course, have an entirely-different lifestyle from vultures.

The vultures of North America are not closely related to the Old World vultures. The NA birds use both sight & smell to find food, while the Old World ones rely exclusively on sight.

Believe it or not, all vultures are very clean. They groom themselves same as most other birds & will take a dip in water if necessary. As soaring birds, they don't wanna carry any excess baggage at all.

Fact is, Jesus said "eagles". However, eagles or vultures, no doctrine is changed.

6. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Different nuances, though. That's the problem with English. The Greek has a nice preciseness to it.

Much like in English, my child was my son before he was born, when he was born, now, and always.

But, in Greek, there are five words that are "male child", with each one showing a different nuance, with "son" being more for position of maturity.

So, "body" and "corpse" may well mean the same thing in English, but there are different meanings.

7. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist