1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Early Christian Fathers Writings and Truth

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Heavenly Pilgrim, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

Should we be careful to place into perspective the value of the writings of the ECF? Are they authoritative? Do my, or anyone else’s opinions, as to what I believe about their writings, prove that it was so? Could have they changed their views? Could one today misunderstand what they are saying? Could ones bias affect ones opinion as to their position? Could have they had clear contradictions in their writings? Did they have clear error in their writings at times? Are they inspired?

Much has been said and written about the ECF but little has been offered in way of admonition as to when and how their writings are to be used in the search of truth, and when they can be trusted to be in accordance to truth. Truth, not ones ideas as to consensus or that which might or not be considered the orthodox notion of the day should be that for which we seek, should it not?

#1 Heavenly Pilgrim, Jan 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2009
  2. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Its a good question. I don't think they are authoritative as we consider the bible authoritative. But they do give good insight to what people were thinking about in their day. They often say things that are strange in our current context and they often disagree with each other. However, I do believe their writings are valuable in determining what people where thinking about with regards to christianity in their day.

3. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Well said. :thumbs:

Could one that wrote one thing have changed their mind latter on yet nothing got recorded to that effect? Should we assume without proof that the one writing I hold in my hand was the final word on that subject from the author? Compared to all those that lived, is it reasonable to believe that hundreds if not thousands might well have differed from the opinions that just happened to get written down and preserved by particular theological camps? Could have some ideas be afforded a far great ability to survive the thousands of years that others simply did not have the resources of abilities to preserve their thoughts as well? Could the climate in certain areas have been more conducive to the preservation of writings and the climate of other areas been more prone to decay and destruction? Could my opinion as to what they believed be influenced by my own bias? Could what you tell me, or what others tell me they believe, be influenced by their own bias? Does the possibility exist that some opposing articles or books may have been destroyed by their opponents? Now that is a thought indeed!

I could go on and on with relevant questions, but this should at least get us started thinking. Sometimes the thought processes generated in a classroom designed to perpetuate a particular thought, such as in a Seminary or denominational Church school might provide, may not prove to be the best climate for truth as the outcome of ones studies. Sad but true.

4. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There are a lot of associated questions here but I would say most writing of the ECF are done just because there were differing opinions about many issues. What I find a more interesting question is that are we any better informed today?

5. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: We should be, but I sometimes wonder. As I read the writings of the men even in the middle 1800's, and read the writing of men today, we have digressed in ability and understanding of truth, not gained.

6. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think certain things deffinately but I'm not sure as with regards to faith. Do we see Christianity as an evolution in faith?

7. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: If so as we near the end it is going to start traveling in reverse osmosis to a large degree. Things will wax worse and worse and love of God will grow cold. “Many shall depart from the faith.” Again, I see our whole concept of salvation being darkened by the enemy of our souls as we near the end. In the end Scripture even asks the question whether of not faith will even be found when He returns. That appears to me like an evolution, or rather atropy, of faith into all but oblivion.

#7 Heavenly Pilgrim, Jan 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2009