1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Early Christian manuscript says Judas acted at Jesus behest

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Magnetic Poles, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Was Judas Iscariot really a loyal disciple?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3777667.html

2. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I don't know about the gospel of Judas, but I can assure you that I have "inside" information that the gospel of Phillip is not Biblical. :D ;)

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Judas, if this is authentic, paints a pretty rosey picture of himself and his importance to Jesus. [​IMG]

4. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Fascinating how a person who had, at the most likely time of authorship, killed himself can still author a Gospel, huh?

5. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Now wait TP, if I remember what I read correctly Judas stopped his "gospel" writing before Christ was crucified. That would still be in line with him being dead before the story ended, wouldn't it? Remember, pride goeth before a fall and this book sounds pretty prideful......

;) :D

6. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

This is on the front page of our newspaper this morning!

Two things, one it is third century manuscript, so it is not a Primary Document.

Two, is it any coincdence that it has been around since 1993 and is just now making the press funnily enough just prior to the world wide release of the film "The DaVinci Code"?

It is amazing just how gullible some people are - or want to be!

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Magnetic,
    Is right in line with your ideas about Creation.

8. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

The whole New Testament was written after the resurrection of Jesus Christ.How did Judas pull off writing a gospel after his suicide or before the resurrection of Christ.

The news media is either a bunch of idiots or just plain dishonest in thier reporting.

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

The Washington Post had a front page article on this today, and Prime Time covered this the other night. I wrote about it to my prayer partners before either of these happened, because I was finding out about it before that. I told them to get ready for several assaults on Christ -- there are also 2 books coming out, The Jesus Papers and The Jesus Dynasty .

It's acknowledged that The Gospel of Judas is Gnostic, but there has been a strong revival of interest in the Gnostic gospels the past few years, starting with scholar Elaine Pagels and with the Jesus Seminar publishing several years ago The Fifth Gospel about the Gospel of Thomas.

Satan is always attacking the church and he seems to be riding a popularity wave right now with the Da Vinci Code, the Gospel of Judas, a recent book by scholar Bart Ehrman of UNC at Chapel Hill ( Misquoting Jesus , interest in Gnosticism, and other things in our culture.

There are many people who believe the Gnostic gospels tell the "true" story and that the church "suppressed" them. This will be used as a way to attack God's word and attack Christ, and God's people should be prepared with an answer for the hope that is in us "with gentleness and reverence" (1 Pet. 3.15).

10. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think you are right on there Marcia! It seems to me that it is more and more popular for people to dismiss Christians as being somehow not intellectual because we are not into all the DaVinci code type stuff.

Yet like these people actually know anything about the subject in the first place!

Lee Strobels compelling work - "The Case for Christ" is a particurly good resource in this area.

11. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Most of you know that I am a liberal with respect to political opinion. When it comes to the Gospel, I am not liberal.

Although I am not claiming to be a Biblical scholar, I just simply cannot get anyone to explain to me when Judas would have had the time to document all that happened in that time between the betrayal and his suicide. If it is genuine, that's a pretty neat trick.....

Regards,
    BiR

12. billwald

billwald New Member

Makes better sense than the stories in the Bible.

13. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

14. gekko

gekko New Member

lost gospel... haha.

after Jesus said something like "there is one of you who is a devil..."

lol. what'll be next eh?

15. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Wow, even with the missing fragments that "gospel" is a freakshow...

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

I don't think I would call this a christian manuscript. The bible is complete as it is, there is nothing else. These writtings have no authority or information we need. It's a fatih issue guys.

17. rbell

rbell Active Member

CNN's "scholarship" on the matter.

Of course, the Communist Nation Network treats ALL views equally...this one copy of a heretically condemned document carries as much weight as the thousands of MSS we have of the NT. What a load.

quote:
    -------------------------------------------------Elaine Pagels, a professor of religion at Princeton University, said, "The people who loved, circulated and wrote down these gospels did not think they were heretics."
    -------------------------------------------------

And, Doctor Pagels, If they really, REALLY believe it, then of course it MUST be true...I would verify that statement from a Jim Jones follower, but can't seem to find one just now...

Sheesh. Some of these religion prof's need Jesus. They already have Judas, and he ain't helping 'em.

18. donnA

donnA Active Member

I saw something about it breifly on tv the other day, and they were questioning the truth of scripture based on this text. Anything that causes the questioning of the truth of scripture is from satan.

19. myfavoritmartin

myfavoritmartin New Member

The Gospel of Judas isn't necessarily claiming to be written by Judas, as I understand it is carbon dated 140-220 and written by early gnostic writers, it is a compelling read but should it or does it change our view of the times NO. And to declare it holy spirit inspired would be a far reach. I'll see if I can find the link and attach it if anyone is interested?