1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Early "Onlies?"

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Pastor_Bob, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been studing the text/version debate for some time now. I regularly add books to my library that would benefit me in this study. I purchase books that agree with the position I hold and also those that disagree. My objective in this matter is to understand the issue so fully that I can explain it simply.

One of my most recent acquisitions is the book The Bible in Translation by Bruce M. Metzger. In this book, he makes the following statements concerning the early Christians:

I see striking similarities between the views of these first century Christians and those of the onlies today. Both believe(d) that their respective "translation" was/is divinely inspired. They even went so far as to feel that their "translation" was more accurate than the original language text. (Ruckman, Gipp, et al.)

Also, as the original language becomes more and more obsolete and unlearned, the more they held to their translations as the final authority.

The similarity here is obvious - these early Christians, it seems, would rather translate the Old Testament for Syriac-speaking Christians from their trusted translation rather than from the originals.

Metzger also reveals that the Old Testament translated into Latin was translated the same way.
    I am not endorsing the positions presented here, nor did Metzger present them in this light. I simply found the comparisons interesting.

My question for discussion is this: Do these similarities indicate that a precedent has been set by the early Christians making it acceptable to elevate a translation/version to the position that they did in the first century and that Christians for the past few centuries have done?

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Those are interesting comparisons. I too have that book and found it excellent reading.

The question I would have is what did the Jews use if they did not use the LXX and didn't know Hebrew either?

3. Pastor_Bob

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to Metzger, the Septuagint was translated primarliy for the Jews in Alexandria. He states, "Many members of this community had forgotten their Hebrew or let it grow rusty and spoke only the common Greek of the Mediterranean world. But they remained Jews and wanted to understand the ancient Scriptures..."

When a people loses the ability to read and/or understand the original language, it is very necessary to have a translation in their language so that they might still know the Scriptures. That is why it is so important to have a translation that is based on reliable texts and correctly represents the originals.

I do not agree with much of Metzger's conclusions, but you cannot deny that he is an expert in the field of ancient manuscript evidence and very educated in the history of Bible translations. I read him for his factual information on these topics rather than for his preference on texts and versions, both of which I cannot agree with.

[ April 07, 2004, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: Pastor_Bob ]

4. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Such is the case for Doug Kutilek or Gary Hudson. Many a KJVO disagrees with them, but they cannot refute what K&H says are facts.

I often agree with what a KJVO says - until he/she gets to that man-made myth...

5. Pastor_Bob

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is the very premise of this thread. Do today's KJVOs have a precedent that was set in the first century?

6. Anti-Alexandrian

There has always been a group of Bible believing Christians that rejected "bibles"(214 + conflicting authorities now) from Papal mss.,always will..

They knew a snake when they saw one then,and still do today...and have been growing in number since.Most Bible relativist/rationalist refuse to accept that fact;the phrase,"willful ignorance" comes to mind.

The premice of "KJBO is a recent thing" is baloney...

I have several quotes that refute that..

7. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is the very premise of this thread. Do today's KJVOs have a precedent that was set in the first century? </font>[/QUOTE]Probably, Satan seems to repackage his tricks and false doctrines rather than creating completely new ones. One way to take God's Word from His people is to convince Christians that only "one" version is correct... of course in due time that version will no longer be understandable due to changes in language. Think of the Latin Vulgate Onlyism of the RCC. It prevented most people from reading the scriptures for themselves for hundreds of years.

8. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anti-Alexandrian, the entire MODERN KJVO myth has sprung up since 1930. There has been an occasional booster for just about every English BV ever made, and there seems to have been more for the AV/KJV because it's been the commonest version and the most recent until modern times. The making of the modern versions has spawned the modern KJVO monster, as the earlier ones had fewer versions to bash.

9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Define recent please.
    Any from the Scripture?

HankD