1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Early Voting

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Crabtownboy, Oct 29, 2014.

1. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

I was thinking the NSA or DHS. They'd send out a goon squad to beat ya down if ya didn't vote for the candidate with the most corporate support.

#41 poncho, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2014
  2. Inspector Javert

Inspector Javert Active Member

That doesn't make sense....because you made paying property taxes.....
    The sole arbiter of getting the vote.
    Why then simply help yourself to proclaiming one vote per?
    It's unreasonable to do that if someone is paying infinitely more.
    Why shouldn't a business even a multi-billion-dollar company with field offices in 50 cities around the country not get a chance to vote in elections?
    THEY ALSO pay property taxes.

One vote per locality...

Saying that you want to arbitrarily restrict it to one vote only for human-beings regardless of what you pay or how much is arbitrary when simply paying property taxes is your sole standard. That's ALL you require to demand voting rights

And the entire post is still not invalid...

Your TENANTS if you lease your property are shelling out the money, not you. They are humans who are shouldering tax burden.
    If your taxes are in arrears.....should you still get your voting rights? Your aren't PAYING them:...and paying taxes is the sole requirement you demand.

You now have two classes of voters Sapper....

A.Those who receive the right by virtue of residency
    B. Those who receive a right based on property tax payment...

By that logic.....Local residents who rent should receive exactly one vote...whereas local residents who own property SHOULD receive two:
    1 For Residency, 1 for paying property taxes....

I didn't MISS that part of your post....I'm saying it's an arbitrary and unequal standard which is inherently flawed. You shouldn't be able to help yourself to that restriction Sapper. A local resident property tax-payer has more stake in a community but still doesn't qualify for the same voting status considerations you receive by virtue of simply owning property.

You are walking over dollars in order to find another dime.

#42 Inspector Javert, Nov 2, 2014
  3. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps you could quote SapperWoody's reference to property taxes, because I recall no mention of it.

There are other forms of residential-based taxes. State income taxes, city vehicle stickers, automobile license plate fees, to name a few.

4. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

Businesses can't vote. If someone is renting your property, then it's a business. I believe that answers your whole post, but just so we're clear, the amount you're paying wouldn't matter. Just like it doesn't now. It's not arbitrary in the least. One vote per person who has a stake in that area's policies. Businesses are separate. They deal with the chamber of commerce. And how that's run is a totally separate discussion.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm with you. If you own a home and pay taxes in more than one area then you should be able to vote for those local issues.

6. Inspector Javert

#46 Inspector Javert, Nov 2, 2014
  7. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

I will admit that this is a valid argument there. However, the assumption is that if someone owns property that isn't for business gain in an area, that they are living there for at least part of the term the elections are for, giving them a greater interest.

Taking the logic of your paragraph to it's logical conclusion, if I summer in Illinois and winter in Texas, I don't have as big a stake in either government as a year round resident, and so shouldn't get to vote in either place.

It's the opposite of your argument that more taxes paid would equal more votes.

8. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's crazy. If you can't afford more than one home, sell the others. One man one vote means that you vote once. Money does not make you more equal except in Animal Farm.

9. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Vote one time, one place.

Where?

Your primary residence.

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who said anything about not being able to afford more than one home?
    But when you are paying thousands of dollars in property tax and sales tax for a second home, I think something should be worked out, as you have a stake in the policies of that village, town or counties.

Lets add one more thing to this - New York State has a very nice law.

We will take the Texas Rangers for example. First, in Texas - there is NO State income tax, but when Texas comes to play NY in Yankee Stadium, every player and coach on the Texas team must pay New York income tax on the days they play in New York State. The 2014 payroll for the Rangers was 128 million dollars divide by 365 days = 350,000 x 4 games/year = 1.4 million taxable income x 4% = a cool 56 thousand income tax for NY. Now consider the Red Sox - they played at Yankee stadium ten times in 2014. O - I almost forgot - in addition to NY STATE tax - they must also pay NY CITY income tax

Then most people complain that a business is not a person - but the govt sure loves to tax them like a person.

11. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now, Salty, if we started giving votes everywhere a person owned property or paid taxes, commies like George Soros would have a vote in every precinct in the country.

Salty, let's say that you are old money and you summer in Leland, Michigan, and winter in some exclusive bay in Florida, but your business is in New York and you have a home in northern California where your old-money spouse is from and you have another place in Hawaii when you want to get away from it all and then there is the little place at Martha's Vineyard for entertaining. So that makes you entitled to vote more than once?

12. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are going to have to draw them a picture.

13. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you guys are missing something. This does not add up to voting more than once.

14. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, the State of Indiana said that the woman who voted in both Indiana and Florida had committed a criminal act. I must be getting to be old but they taught us in my hometown that 1 + 1 = 2.

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's the way we have always done it.

could be we are doing it the wrong way.

Basically Sapper stated that you get one vote for federal offices, but you should have a vote for different States/Commonwealths or local elections - if you have a major financial interest there.

I have always felt that way. Granted - there are many hoops to pass thur to make this work - but if we can land a man on the moon ......

16. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If we can put a man on the moon, then does he get the right to vote on the moon?

17. Inspector Javert

Then, by the logic of some....
    they should get to vote in NY City.

I agree.

If paying taxes is of itself sufficient to guarantee voting rights, I say the Red Sox and the Rangers have a right to 1 vote in NY.

Fair is fair.

No arbitrary restrictions whereby certain homeowners alone get that right and everyone else who pays taxes can screw themselves.

18. Inspector Javert

Yes..........according to some here:
    But, he doesn't have to LIVE on the moon or actually obey the authorities that he elects....
    He just gets to impose his will upon others because he pays property taxes...
    only property taxes...
    Not sales
    Not income
    Just property taxes.

Of course, if I own a Gas station on the moon and pay property taxes and actually have to obey the authorities upon the moon....
    I get no vote for paying property taxes on the moon.:tear:
    Only people with no real stake in what happens to the moon get to vote because they pay property taxes.

19. Inspector Javert

20. Inspector Javert

It adds up to voting in potentially THOUSANDS of incorporated cities that you never have to visit, in States you've never lived in, obeyed a speed limit in, paid one cent in sales tax in or even been to:
    Yeah, by any mathematical measure, it's more than once.