1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Earmarks and Fiscal Responsibility

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Obama in fiscal year 2008 secured $98 million in funding for Illinois projects, according to Taxpayers for Common Sense. Information released Thursday by the Obama campaign indicates he requested $311 million in earmarks for the same year

Clinton grabbed $342 million worth of earmarks last year, ranking her 10th highest on the list of senators, according to the budget watchdog group Taxpayers for Common Sense. But as of Thursday, the Clinton campaign still had not released details on how much she requested for 2007 and what it was for.

McCain, who has refused to request spending for projects in his home state of Arizona, has long been a vocal critic of earmarks.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/03/13/earmark.vote/

Just who has the record of fiscal responsibility?

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, let's just ignore the $9 billion that Senator McCain wants to keep spending in Iraq month after month after month after month...

3. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Ken, I notice over and over how quickly you moved from Ron Paul and embraced Obama so I should know better than to respond to you, when posting to this thread, cause your already sold out.

Both senators, Obama and Clinton have made statements about backing out or renegotiating NAFTA. Do you recall the "So what" statement made by our VP when confronted with the fact that the majority of people polled wanted us to withdraw from Iraq, end the war .... or something like that? Well after both Obama and Clinton had made statements to indicate a redress of NAFTA to dissenters.... the Canadian ambassor was asked about the security of NAFTA, and essentially gave a 'so what' answer.... with confident comments to the effect that the security of NAFTA is already established, that NAFTA wont be stopped and any attempt to alter it may find our country presented with a series of counter request by our border nations which will cause regret that we ever challenged it. ..........Well, guess what.......he's probably right and telling the truth, cause he has no elections to win in our country... and he recognizes when politicians tell us what we want to hear..... and he recognizes that if the voters are not convinced... politicians have a way of 'presenting efforts' with the intention of failure programed in to bluff us into believing that they are sincere.

Now, do you remember the earlier debates when Obama and Clinton had more copetition to contest against? They each 'waffled' on different occassions regarding the pulling out of Iraq. The truth which you can't seem to see... it is all window dressing and they are presenting an act in a contest to one up each other in an attempt to get their party's nomination ...... with goals for your vote. Oneof them is likely to succeed and then you will see that the highest office of our land changed parties and faces but so much will continue the same....including the 'war'..... and if you can't figure it out..... that also means funding for the war.

And such a fickle Ron Paul supporter amazes me! Ron Paul is still running in primaries.... and there are delegates won by other candidates besides McCain which means that there is still a possibility, however remote, that delegates released from their previous committments could actually swing the vote to nominate Paul.... or demonstrate enough difference from McCain.... to get some attention to 'Ron Paul's issues' to be part of the Republican platform on which McCain... or whoever would have to run.... and that may mean a return to lawful constitutional government and reduction of military presence in all other countries.

As far as I'm concern: Ron Paul, win or loose, is the only candidate who has presented himself as being consistant in office prior to what he reports now before those who will give him press: Also, he is the only candidate who will say what he thinks and, if heard, that with enough clarity that it is consistant, has continuity, and straight forward whether it pleases the hearers or not. All others present themselves as being for YOUR good..... when its a contest for their own expansion and ambition. Ron Paul is the only candidate who gave up his practice because of concerns for our country ...... and has not used his office for personal gain... exercises fiscal responsibility in office and has even returned the excess which he did not need.....

Now you go on believing every thing you hear and make your choice based on promises, flattery, charisma, popularity, ----whatever pulls your chain.... but if you really believe the lies almost all of them are presenting to please you.... then you demonstrate what stupitiy looks like.

People who follow in ignorance blindly are at the mercy of the future which they enter. People who choose to be ignorant because they think they can escape accountabiliy are fooling themselves and responsible for avoidance of the truth.

#3 windcatcher, Apr 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2008
  4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sold out? Hardly. Just because you and I don't agree politically doesn't mean I have sold out.

As I have explained before in this forum I have been in the process of becoming more progressive(liberal if one prefers :) ) on economic issues over the past couple of years.

Also, on civil liberties and foreign policy progressives(liberals if one prefers :) ) are in agreement a great deal of the time with libertarians such as Congressman Paul.

I voted for Congressman Paul in the Arkansas GOP presidential primary. He won't win the GOP nomination with getting about 5% of the vote nationwide. Time to move on from the good Congressman's presidential campaign.

5. billwald

billwald New Member

Earmarks can be good or bad depending upon their purpose. Obviously building a billion dollar bridge in Alaska for a few hundred people is plain stealing but maybe there should have been an earmark for the freeway bridge that collapsed in Minnesota.