1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Earn & Learn

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by PastorSBC1303, Jan 23, 2008.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Interesting article on a school that is going to pay students in an after school program.

Forty students from Creekside High and Bear Creek Middle schools in Fairburn will be the first to try the "Learn & Earn" program, where students will get paid to attend after-school tutoring programs.

Students will make approximately $8 an hour, and be eligible for bonuses if their grades improve, said Kirk Wilks, district spokesman. The initial students are in the eighth and 11th grades.

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

Apparently that school is being over funded, while others lack funds for text books.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is privately funded but no doubt if they se it as a success they will use it to raise taxes and implement more programs like this. The average tax payer is tapped out.

4. SeekingHisTruth

SeekingHisTruth New Member

Horrible idea. "Earning" does not lead to "learning". I can speak from experience as someone who was paid a certain amont for each "A" I brought home. It didn't lead to "learning" other than learning how to be a good test taker.

You'll also have border kids stop trying so they too can become one of the "paid" to learn folks instead of the "expected" to learn folks.

5. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

It's laughable. What will they think of next? This will not last beyond the end of the semester. Now students will under-achieve so that they can go to detention!? Instead of hig-schoolers learning their way in the working world at the local McD's, they will be 'employed' to learn [what the teachers could not give them in class]!?

Part of the reason for this is that in some states (I don't know about GA), degreed teachers are paid $26/hr. to tutor after school. make it $8 to the kid, the teachers will still stay for $18, and walla! everybody's happy. It won't last (did I say that already?).

6. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

You beat me to it.

So, are these schools taking applications?

Soon they will start paying children to attend regular classes. [​IMG]

7. Chessic

Chessic New Member

Yeah, where do I sign up for backpay for my 4 years of high school? I'd be willing to charge only a reasonable interest on that pay...say 20% compounded monthly, for the 23 years since I graduated.