1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Easter or Pascha?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salamander, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Salamander

Salamander New Member

I understand the MV proponents "arguement" that the word is translated as The Passover, that in and of itsself is a translational issue. This is not, that is why it appears here in the study and theology forum. The proceeding is from Smtih's revised 1999:
    When it comes to doctrinal issues, I firmly believe our Bible is to reflect it in its wordings.

Yes, everyday is a celebration of the death burial and resurrection, but the arguemnt stands justified in replacement of otherwise glory stealing observances of other religions and such.

My son was saved on Easter morning. It is a matter of who has precedence in the recognition of a day rather than just observing a day. The quotation has helped confirm what I believe, what about you?:godisgood:

2. Beth

Beth New Member

conscience issue

This is a conscience issue. It would be sin for you to use the word "Easter" if, for you, this is tied up to the pagan origins, and you believe in some way you are venerating this mythical goddess. For others, who do not even consider that they are celebrating anything other than the joyful resurrection of Christ, it would not be sin.

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll use Easter. I'm delivering it from its pagan corruptions and using it in its true sense! :godisgood:

4. Salamander

Salamander New Member

WOW! and not even one disrespectful post concerning this and everyone agrees!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Bible says Pascha, which always means Passover. Growing up Jewish, even using the pagan English word "Easter" is offensive So my choice is to transliterate the Greek/Hebrew Pascha rather than use that word.

To each his own . .

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I prefer Pascha, since as Dr. Bob says, that is the Biblical word. But I say Easter as I am not sure anyone would understand me otherwise.

Or we can say "Resurrection Day." :jesus:

7. Beth

Beth New Member

interesting point

Last year, while witnessing to a young Jewish woman, she had a hard time with that term also....the term "Easter" seemed too far from her Jewish understanding of the Holy Days. When I explained Christ in terms of fulfilling the spring days of Passover, Feast of Firstfruits and Feast of Weeks, she was much more interested in continuing the discussion with me....she hasn't accepted Christ as Savior yet, though. Her name is Rebecca, in case you want to keep her in your prayers.

Beth