1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Eastern Orthodoxy and the wrath of God

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by RLBosley, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus suffered the Wrath of God towards sins while on the Cross, did he not?

2. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They also have a strange viewpoint on somehow we co shared in the passion of jesus, as they emphasise His humanity over his deity?

3. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

No. That is an exclusively Western view.

4. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

I'm glad, even though I'm not the OP.

5. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, it's been an informative thread mostly from refreshing the memory on the different facets of the atonement gem. :)

6. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Exactly right. I don't know what he believes occurred on the cross, but if he removes the wrath of God then he must diminish the cross.

I'm really confused as to why you think the SoM somehow overturns the rest of scriptures clear teaching on the wrath of God against sinners? The end of the sermon even concludes with the terrifying revelation that many who claim to follow him will ultimately be condemned and suffer eternal fire. Sure sounds like wrath to me.

As for practicing it I would say I do, though imperfectly because I am still sinful. I'm believe in non-violence and several of the key passage for my position are found in the Sermon.

Do you believe the rest of scriptures teaching that God is angry with the wicked every day and that at the end of the age all not found in Christ will suffer eternally?

Thanks. :thumbs:

Interesting. There is an Orthodox Study Bible at my office (we have a prayer room - a great blessing!) and I was looking at it a few weeks ago. I put it away after I read the notes on Ephesians 1 saying that baptism and communion save us and enable us to be deified in the next life! :eek:

7. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I've been curious about EO for a while but haven't really spent much time studying it. I appreciate your perspective. So how do they justify ignoring the substitutionary aspects of the atonement? It seems very clear to me.

That I can actually agree with. However, we should not use another persons imbalance to justify our own imbalance. The Sermon on the Mount is true, just as the rest of scripture, including texts that teach the fierce wrath of God.

Glad it's been helpful.

Interesting. I did read something recently about how they believe that when we sin we somehow cause Christ more pain on the cross... weird stuff.

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think they see the atonement more along the lines of love of Gove, or to morally influence us to live right for God, and not as a penal substitutionary death!

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is also the view held by jesus and the Apostles though!

10. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it is inappropriate to attempt to subsume the ransom theory under Christus Victor and ignore the continuity with Anselm's formulation.

While Christus Victor is not incorrect — you can find justification in the New Testament — it does not seem to be the full story. It is, perhaps, a complementary view of the atonement, or maybe an overarching theme the details of which should be fleshed out by other theories.

More to the point of the OP, does not the current emphasis on Christus Victor, as Mark Galli of Christianity Today said, lean toward our being victims of sin and not its perpretrators?

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2011/aprilweb-only/christusvicarious.html?start=1

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The truth is that there is a wrath of God towards all sinners due to the fall of Adam and our own personal sinning, and Jesus suffered that in our stead!

12. Getting it Right

Site Supporter

Yes, the wrath of God is reserved for and pointed directly to those who rejected Jesus as the Jewish Messiah, and to those who fail to receive the Free Gift of Salvation by Grace through Faith.

13. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

Your agenda seems to be to ignore those parts of Scripture you don't like.

14. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

A perfect description of whoever is posing as Rebel!

15. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rebel is a banned member named Michael Wrenn. His arguments are the same and this issue seems to be the only one that he really engages in.

16. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK Michelle, this only makes like the umpteenth time you've told us this on this thread already. You used to be 'banned' too.

17. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I remember the ~person~. Had some strange ~ideas~!

18. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

@Rebel,

If there's no wrath of God, then what wrath was poured out on Christ??

19. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

I view scripture in its totality, not in pieces. When there is no evidence in the earliest churches, the churches that existed in NT times, and those that existed for centuries afterward for a doctrine, that leads me to believe that the doctrine is not scriptural.

20. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

Definitely not.