1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Eastern Orthodoxy and the wrath of God

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by RLBosley, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

I disagree. And so did the early Christians.

2. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

I could agree with the first part, but not the second.

3. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

Not sure what you mean.

4. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

Since you don't want to engage in meaningful discussion but only seem interested in tossing accusations about, I think it best for me to just ignore you from now on.

I am having a thoroughly enjoyable and fruitful discussion with other members here. It's a shame you can't contribute anything constructive. I have found that I can learn even from those with whom I disagree.

5. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

Would you mind elaborating, please?

6. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

I don't say there is no wrath of God, but I certainly don't believe God poured out His wrath on Christ. That is a view of the atonement that I do not accept.

7. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

I just meant that I believe, and I think Christus Victor teaches, that we are both the victims of sin and also perpetrators of sin. I don't know how anyone could study the Christus Victor view and see otherwise.

Oh, and just let me state for the record that my views of the atonement encompass all the views held by the earliest churches, that is, the Ransom view, the Recapitulation view, Christus Victor, and to a degree the moral influence view, although the latter was not fully formulated until Peter Abelard, and I do find it to be sort of an incomplete theory. I do not hold to any of the views that came much later in the history of the church, particularly those originating in the western churches, whether RC or Protestant.

8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus and the Apostles held to the wrath of God was indeed poured out on the Cross unto Jesus, and that while on the Cross, Jesus experienced during that time a seperation from God, in same way sinners will after death!

9. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

I don't see where they held that.

10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus knew that he was to taste the cup of suffering, to be the person to stand in before God for the wrath sinners deserved, and Paul and peter also identified him in same contex!

11. Getting it Right

Site Supporter

"Father, if Thou be willing, remove this cup from me."

:praying:

12. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

Again, I don't see that, in the scriptures or the early church.

13. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

How do you not see that? What "cup" was Christ referring to when asking if it could pass from Him?

The OT prophecies reveal unto us Christ who would suffer punishment at the hands of man, in the form of scourging and crucifixion, that would render Him essentially unrecognizable.
    Jesus explained in brief detail the way in which He would die, by being lifted up on the cross.
    While Jesus hung on the cross, He became sin for us:
    By the fact of Jesus taking on our sin, God was able to condemn sin in the flesh, to make atonement for us.
    With Christ becoming sin, and God condemning sin, pouring His wrath onto sin as it hung on the cross, a way was made for you and I to not have to face God's wrath. That way is Christ Jesus.
    Jesus is called the "propitiation" for our sins:
    Propitiation, quite literally, means an act or sacrifice that appease the wrath of God.

What does it really matter if an early church member believed one way or the other? You need to search the scriptures. They make it quite clear that God's wrath was poured on Christ, who had become sin, so that we who know Him in the free pardon of sin would not have to face God's wrath.

14. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea of course not Michael

15. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

Why are you here? Your chief purpose appears to be to stir stuff up and accuse. Where is the spirit of Christ in you? Besides that, you don't know what you're talking about.

#95 Rebel, Feb 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2015
  16. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

Scripture does not make that clear at all. And I'm not talking about one early church member. I'm talking about the entire early church and for the first ten centuries, until Anselm. The earliest Christians and churches did not see your view of Christ's death in the scriptures. It took the Reformers some 1500 years later to see it there. Anselm saw God as a feudal lord who had to be "satisfied". The Reformers saw God as a courtroom judge, declaring people guilty or innocent based on a legal transaction. Neither is correct.

I don't deny the atonement, just the Western views of it, views unknown for a thousand years after Jesus.

Can you not see how harmful it is to teach that God tortured and killed His Son in our place? I could not even be a Christian if that was the true doctrine.

17. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

If you use that rhetoric, then you can certainly couch the argument in a negative light. But instead of thinking of it as God torturing His Son, consider it as God Himself taking on our lowliness and becoming sin for us.

18. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

Yes, I have considered that. But that's not the way it is described, is it? Or believed, really.

19. Protestant

Protestant Well-Known Member

Here are a few visual examples of the wrath of God which only the religious blind will not see:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see that claim repeated a lot, but you can find writings of the Fathers — East and West, including Chrysostom — who have endorsed something very much like it. It is not so novel as its detractors claim.