1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

eating disorders

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by mlj, Sep 4, 2006.

1. mlj

mlj New Member

Has anyone here ever battled an eating disorder? I got saved a month ago, but I am still struggling with this. I feel like I am not a good Christian because of it.

2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You will probably get alot of opinions here, so let me add mine.

If you have a diagnosed eating disorder, then you need professional medical and/or mental health treatment. I certainly believe in the power of God to free people from their illnesses. I know of people who have walked away from alcohol, drugs, etc. Sometimes God uses medical professionals to do it, so do not be ashamed to seek the help you need.

peace to you:praying:

3. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Do you think Christ loves you any less because you have an eating disorder?

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

mlj, have you seen this site? It has lots of info and as far as I can tell, it's a Christian site:

http://www.findingbalance.com/

I have not investigated it so I am not necessarily endorsing it, but maybe you'd like to look into it if you think it would be helpful. :wavey:

5. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

MLJ - there are many 'disorders' we face after becoming Christians. And there are many opinions how to overcome them. Your personal physician is a good place to start. Continue in prayer with your pastor as you grow spiritually.

Should this not be cleared quickly, please remain upbeat and optimistic, and continue to pray daily for God's will to be done in your life. There will be distractions, but keep your eye on the straight and narrow. There will prayerful support for you, too.

6. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

mlj:

Yes, I struggled with an eating disorder for 12 years, from age 20 to age 32. It started with a simple diet to lose a few pounds, and turned into an obsession with body weight, food and exercise. I experienced periods binge eating, starvation, obsessive exercise, use of diet pills and laxatives, etc.

I don't know the nature of your eating disorder, but I can assure you that recovery is possible. I have been recovered for 15 years now. My recovery team included an internist who specialized in eating disorders, a dietician to monitor my food, and a psychologist to help me to work through the underlying issues. I also found help in a support group of women who were dealing with the same problems I was.

I just want you to know that help is available and recovery is possible. I was not a born again believer during my eating disorder, but my relationship with the Lord was definitely a factor as I progressed in my recovery. It seems that the Lord used my eating disorder to draw me to a deeper relationship with him. God truly does use all things for good.

I would love to hear your story. Feel free to e-mail privately if you wish.

Hang in there! I am praying for you!

PA

7. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

This is a great website. This woman, Constance Rhodes, has also written a wonderful book, "Life Inside the Thin Cage", which is excellent. I have loaned my copy to a friend who also struggles with an eating disorder. It is written from a Christian perspective, so was especially encouraging to me.

PA