1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eating Of Pork

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by krogers, Sep 25, 2006.

1. rstrats

rstrats Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even after Peter had been told 3 times to "kill and eat" - and by the "Lord" no less - Peter refused to do so. He says that he had never eaten anything common or unclean. This event occurred at least 10 years after the Messiah had ascended to heaven. Peter had received the Holy Spirit at Pentecost. the Messiah promised that His disciples would be guided into all truth by the Holy Spirit (John 16:13). If the dietary rules had been canceled, why do you suppose the apostle Peter, who walked with and was taught by the Messiah for 3 years and who was filled with the Holy Spirit, didn’t know about it some 10 years later? Peter was perplexed. He didn’t have a clue as to what the vision had meant. It wasn’t until the "Spirit" told him that three men were looking for him and that he was to doubt nothing, that he realized what the vision was all about. in verse 28, Peter says "Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation. But God has shown me that I should not call any MAN common or unclean". There is no evidence that he ate unclean animals after the vision or said anything to the apostles regarding a change in the dietary laws. The only thing that we are told is that he explained to Cornelius that God had shown him that he should not call any MAN common or unclean. And later on we are told that he recounted the vision to the "those of the circumcision" at Jerusalem, who after hearing it said, "Then God has also granted to the Gentiles repentance to life". There is no indication that he said anything to anybody about a dietary law change. If the distinction between clean and unclean animals had ended with the vision and if Peter had believed that to be the case, I can’t imagine that he wouldn’t have been shouting it from the rooftops to the believers.

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There were many things that Jesus didn’t reveal to the Apostles or things that He did reveal but they didn't realize until the Spirit of God impressed it upon them and they completed the written revelation of God (The Canon of Scripture) and Jesus told them that this would be the case.

John 16:2 I have many things to say unto you but ye cannot bear them now.

John 14
    25 These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you.
    26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
    Mark 7
    18 And he saith unto them, Are ye so without understanding also? Do ye not perceive, that whatsoever thing from without entereth into the man, it cannot defile him;
    19 Because it entereth not into his heart, but into the belly, and goeth out into the draught, purging all meats?

Don’t violate your conscience brother, but you have been freed from the Law, which in Acts Chapter 15 Peter speaking of the Law of Moses says

Acts 15
    10 Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?
    11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.

24 Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment:

Remember that immediately after the flood and before the Law the world was under no dietary law except for consuming animal flesh with the life blood still within it.

Genesis 9
    2 And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth, and upon every fowl of the air, upon all that moveth upon the earth, and upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered.
    3 Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.
    4 But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat.
    5 And surely your blood of your lives will I require; at the hand of every beast will I require it, and at the hand of man; at the hand of every man's brother will I require the life of man.
    6 Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.

However we must be careful with the liberty provided of the grace of God and the leading of the Spirit in this age.

Romans 14
    14 I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.
    15 But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died.​

20 For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offence.
    21 It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.
    22 Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.
    23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

15:1 We then that are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak, and not to please ourselves.​

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Amen, Bro. HankD - Preach it! Uh- well, after you pass me a couple more of them ham sandwiches :thumbsup: and a LIPITOR® , to get the ol' cholesterol back down. [​IMG] Thanks! NOW, preach it! :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

4. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More legalism. God said, in effect, if it aint poison, "If it tastes good, eat it".

5. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm smoking three racks of pork ribs this afternoon. :smilewinkgrin:

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Run those directions to your house by me again! Just in case I didn't get 'em right the first time! :thumbsup: :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't forget the once "unclean" shellfish...

Broiled Maine lobster tails drenched in butter.

Calamari with garlic pesto on linguine.

Pass the Parmesan please.

I'm not only thankful that we are not under the law but I'm also thankful that my serum cholesterol is only 148.

HankD

8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

They changed the rules they want it down around 100 now. sorry to tell you that.

9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh no! Well it's rabbit food for me now.

HankD

10. rstrats

rstrats Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    EdSutton,

re: ",,,I was given my freedom by the Lord Jesus Christ who came into the slave market, paid the complete price, bought me with His own blood, and then set me free!"

That’s right - free from the spiritual consequences of sin if you meet certain requirements.

11. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Congratulations!

Now, I have just moved into some very select company, namely that of some of those around the Elijah, Elisha, Ezekiel, Jesus, Peter, and Paul. I have seen someone raise the dead (thread.) And the longest any who had been dead, who were raised in the Bible (aside from the "valley of Bones" that Exekiel saw) was a few days. This thread had been dead for almost a year and 8 mos., 541 days to be exact. :laugh: :laugh:

But we have witnesses to a miracle folks, yet once again.

Now as to the serious part - what are you talking about, as to these certain requirements, being necessary to be free from the "spiritual" consequences of sin, in the context of this thread? Explain, please.

You previously posted that
    I suggest that the account in Galatians with Paul completely contradicts this view you are putting forth, here,
    and further, you are (still) arguing for the validity (hence 'judging' as per Col. 2: 13-17 - NKJV) where

#71 EdSutton, Jun 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2008
  12. Bro. Ruben

Bro. Ruben New Member

I believe pork will be available and served in the Millenium :applause: ; eat now, we're not sure how pork are cooked during that period. :1_grouphug:

13. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Barbequed! :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

14. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    asking about eating pork is like saying that we have to go to church on Friday night or Saturday to observe the Sabbat.

Nope, not Jewish and I am free from the law as a Christian!

15. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Moved to SC and they have mustard based pork bbq. That's a new one to me but it's actually pretty good. Near here they have something called a Chitland Strut in Salley, SC. Some like em fried and a few like em steamed. I'm not real sure about eating pig guts fried or steamed. Isn't there a law against eating guts?

16. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

TinyTim hit the nail on the head

Recently---I underwent some surgery and beforehand I had to do prelimanary blood tests, etc--------I went in early the first morning for to let the good lookin' nurse draw some blood

She first took my blood pressure---sure enough it was high

She then made the comment

You must have had pork for supper last night, right???

How did she know???????????:type:

When God wrote the OT dietary laws---the application for the laws were both physical and spiritual---simple obedience, no questions asked was all God was looking for.

Then the day of Grace "dawned upon" us in the NT era---and the dietary laws meant for the Jews did not apply to Gentiles like us---in the spiritual sense

But the physical sense is still there----In my studies of Jewish dietary laws in the OT----there must have been a physical reason that God wanted the Jews to elimante pork from their diets

There isn't a law that says that if I--as a Gentile---eat Pork--then I'm gonna bust hell wide open!!!! Then again---if I don't eat Pork--that doesn't give me free grace to go to heaven

The big thing is

if I want to eat pork----I'll eat it--------nothin' like a big ole BRAT sausage fresh off the grill or a "weenie" on a stick roasted over a campfire-----I'll eat it with thanksgiving in my heart to the Lord Jesus Christ

On the other hand

If I want to skip out on the pork---thats my option, too---I'm not gonna go to hell if I do or don't

The big question is-----and I need to address it all the time to myself---what is that big ole BRAT sausage fresh off the grill doing to the arteries thats swirlin' around my heart inside of me----probably cloggin' my arteries up like a chunk of dirt in a waterhose pipe----"heart attack city" lies just ahead of me---if I don't lay off so much of the pork fingers, BRAT's sausage and those other juicy things

so you see???? Theres a spiritual application for the OT dietary laws application to the Jew----but somewhere lying in the deep dark recesses of blackbird's arteries----there's a physical application of why God says to withdraw

See?

17. MNJacob

MNJacob Member

What happened to our OP?

18. donnA

donnA Active Member

Since the op posted this thread in 2006 and has only 4 posts I would assume he is long gone. Popped in the BB to post a controversial topic and left.

19. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I have just looked at the 3 posts of his I could find, and it seems to me that he was not trying to be controversial, but needed help understanding basic Christian things. One post, back in 2003, was:
    In the past I have talked with many christians and pastors that believe in an Immortal Soul.....In other words the minute you die your soul goes to Heaven to be with God.My question is this...How can you believe in the Resurrection of the dead and at the same time claim to have an Immortal Soul?

Another asked where in the bible does it say that Adam was a sinner. Then three or four years later, in 2006, this thread about pork. A very infrequent poster, maybe (at this rate, it would take him 1250 years to get into the 1000 Posts Club!) If you are still with us Kroger, perhaps you could let us know.

20. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Glad we got this settled, now pass the sauce... :thumbsup: