1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

eating out on Sundays

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by corndogggy, Aug 31, 2006.

1. ACADEMIC

ACADEMIC New Member

What's "fellowshop"?

I remember one time on a forum I tried to say "I have to go see" but my typo said "I have to go wee."

:laugh:

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

LOL

my oh my

did you have an edit function?

still lol

3. mlj

mlj New Member

Well I agree with you corndoggy. I have been pressured to work on Sundays before, and I didn't have the luxury of being able to quit my job over it. I definitely don't want to contribute to another Christian's having to work on Sunday if I can help it. Eating out is not essential like hospitals, etc.

4. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Most places, the cook gets paid well. In pizza, the cook(s) usually get a percentage of the tips, depending upon the setup. In formal restaurants, the bus boys usually get a percentage of the tips or get paid well.

It's the servers/delivery drivers that get their pay from tips. Most waitresses get $2.01 per hour plus tips. Most delivery drivers get minimum wage plus tips and they put a lot of wear and tear on their own cars, not to mention more frequent oil changes, etc.

Now, one of my pet peeves is when the person on the phone messes things up for the driver. For example, at one place, the person on the phone would tell the customer that it would be 30-45 minutes, even if the food wasn't going into the oven for an hour an a half. "Well, they might not order if I told the truth", was the answer she gave me. It was beyond her comprehension that by doing what she did, they might never order again, and it hurt the driver's income.

5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I grew up in the Southern Baptist southern culture of the l940s and l950s. You talk about legalistic. Much of that culture was actually enacted into law. "Non-essential" businesses had to stay closed. That included grocery stores, drug stores, department stores, movie houses and the like. Remember the old "Blue Laws"? Only in the past year have restaurants been allowed to sell mixed drinks on Sunday (with some restrictions), and most stores still can't sell alcoholic beverages on Sunday in my town of Paducah, Kentucky..

We got preached at for going to the beach, baseball games or having any kind of fun on Sundays. After all it was the Sabbath. I remember a knock-down drag-out election we had in my home town in Tennessee over whether to allow the movie houses to open on Sunday afternoon. The drive-in theater out in the county was already open on Sunday evenings, and was considered a den of iniquity and corrupter of children and adults. All that necking going on. Movies of any kind were frowned on, but movies on Sunday--gasp! By the way, the heathens won and the city movie houses opened up on Sunday.

The only problem is, it wasn't the Sabbath. It was Sunday. The old Sabbath rules had been overlaid onto Sunday. And that seems to be the mindset from which the OP sprang.

There is no moral issue here. Working on Sunday is not a sin. Missing church to work is not a sin. Missing church on Sunday morning is not a sin. Going out to eat on Sunday is not a sin. So the patronage of church people requires servers to serve them. So what? There's no sin here. Going to church requires preachers to work on Sunday. Ask a pastor who's preached his heart out, whose clothes are drenched in sweat from his intensity, ask him if it took effort on his part.

Of course, many of those who've posted here will disagree, and you are perfectly free to act accordingly with respect from me for your preference. Just remember that Sunday is not the Christian Sabbath, and the OT Sabbath rules do not apply.

6. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I used to put lunch in the crock pot and we came home to eat most Sundays. Then my mom moved here and she likes to go out. We take her out.

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Tell someone you 'worshipped' at "The Chapel 'of The Springs'". (where I'm a-headin' very shortly!)

Unless you are sleeping on a water bed, I guess. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

8. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've heard of it being called "Bedside Baptist Church."

Speaking of your bed, though, one of my friends told me about someone he knew who named his bed "the word" so that whenever he was being disturbed by phone calls while resting, he'd tell them he'd talk to them later because he was "in the word" right then.

9. TheWinDork

TheWinDork New Member

#89 TheWinDork, Aug 31, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2006
  10. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

We get together and work on our ship. One day will advance to fellowship but until then we are relagated to build...

11. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

:applause: :applause: :laugh: :thumbs:

12. ituttut

ituttut New Member

I was brought up in this manner (sin to do anything on Sunday, except go to church). And almost all Baptist in those days of the "30-40's", called Sunday the Sabbath. I know there are still some around today that still believe in this way.

But in love I would like to put forth truth the Word teaches. Who are those you say were adamant about working on Sunday? They couldn't be Christians with understanding, for we have no Law we are to follow of this nature. We have freedom to eat out every day of the year if we desire, and can afford it. Is there today a Law of God directing we can't work on Sunday, or a Law that says we must attend church every Sunday, or any day?

We have to be careful in our freedom for once we choose a day to be a Holy Day, then we had better keep it Holy for to us it is then Holy, and has become Law to us, of which we are not to come under - Galatians chapter 5. We are not to believe the modern day "Judaziers" that wish us to come under the Law. We are not to keep the Law of the Sabbath given to the Jew, and we as Christians are not to make a Law of Sunday to become our Holy Day.

13. ACADEMIC

ACADEMIC New Member

Here's another song, highly pertinent to this discussion:

http://filecities.com/files/2421/Ti...t Bar And Grill (download to stream song).asx

http://filecities.com/files/2421/Tim Wilson - The First Baptist Bar and Grill (lyrics for).txt

The first one streams the song, the second is a text file of the lyrics.

I'd strongly urge everyone to very prayefully listen to the song while they listen to what God may have to say to them in the singer's very heartfelt message.

#93 ACADEMIC, Sep 1, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2006
  14. ACADEMIC

ACADEMIC New Member

Very interesting synopsis and analysis, Tom.

15. Gib

Gib Active Member

Those working in the hospitals eat out on Sundays.

16. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Unless, of course, what they ate eating out is the reason they are in the hospital!!!!!:smilewinkgrin:

17. Gib

Gib Active Member

They thought they were eating mushu chicken, but we all know it was really mushu cat.

18. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Gib, honey, we are not in the Pit Stop! :tongue3:

19. lbaker

lbaker New Member

All this reminds me of a story I heard, allegedly true, about an old cotton farmer who lived around here. (North Louisiana) Seems he was an upright man, pillar of the church, etc., So he had an old black man that went around with him all the time to cuss for him. I am serious. Whenever a piece of machinery would break down or something would go wrong on the farm the old black man would give it a good cussin' so the old farmer wouldn't have to soil his good reputation.

On the tipping issue - doesn't that bother anyone that we "church people" have a rep as bad tippers? I usually leave around 20% for good service. Is that a good tip - to all you ex servers out there? Shouldn't we, of all people, be seen as the best tippers, and the best customers? I just can't picture Jesus as a lousy tipper.

Les

20. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just wanted to add that if you DO work on Sundays, it is not me who will be looking down on you. I'm not judging anybody as a sinner. I think some people misunderstood that. Now, if you were in a situation where you HAD to work on Sunday, and HAD to miss church on this day even if you didn't want to... I will have sympathy for you. With those feelings in mind, I simply don't want to potentially be contributing to people being in this situation. It's not a sin issue... you just can't sympathize with someone when you're purposely contributing to their situation.

I do realize that there are tons of example situations that you guys can throw out in a "what if... is this bad?" scenario, but all I know is that I used to be in this situation and felt trapped, and the biggest reason that I was in that situation was that people loved to hit the all-you-can-eat buffet before and after church, which is another subject in itself... see the "what do you think about gluttony" thread. :) Basically I was missing church partly because church-goers had to gluttonize.