1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

eating out on Sundays

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by corndogggy, Aug 31, 2006.

1. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

corndoggy, with all respect, this thread has seemed to be very judgmental, to me at least. I asked before, and I'll ask again, did you bother to read the Scripture passages I posted in post # 29??

Ed

P.S. The post is still there, untouched as written, as it hasn't been deleted or even edited by either me or a Moderator. :D

2. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I read it, but perhaps I should explain further. The issue that this topic is about has to do with human respect rather than which day the sabbath is on. Some of us were brought up going to church on sunday's and hanging out with family, and some people would like to continue to do so. I for one don't want to be a part of making somebody miss out on that. I could care less about judging somebody for actually choosing to work on whichever day they believe to be the sabbath. But, as Christians, should we really encourage it??? By doing non-essential things like going out to eat, you are encouraging it. I just don't think we ought to do that.

#102 corndogggy, Sep 1, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2006
  3. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

That would be me. It's cheaper and I can eat what I want. That doesn't mean that I eat everything on the buffet!

I have worked plenty of jobs where I had to work Sundays. But I still attended ONE service that day and again on Wednesday. I've also had to work on Christmas and Easter.

And I thanked God I had those jobs to support my family...

There is a man in our congregation that works all night - seven nights a week. He makes it to church every Sunday morning! Of course, he sleeps through the whole thing. Is he any better than the waitress who does not have the option of attending church?

How legalistic can we get???

#103 I Am Blessed 24, Sep 1, 2006
  4. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My question is this - if all the church-goers did not go out to eat before and after church, and simply went at a different time, would not more of those waitresses actually have the option of attending church, and be happy about it? Some of you are saying that "well that's their scheduled work day and they're happy to have that work", BUT, if you went out to eat on a different day, the restaurant would adjust and the busy times would switch days, or at least the work would be smooth throughout the week, therefore the waitresses would simply work on a different day, the same amount of money would be traded hands, and the waitresses would have the same exact income, yet more of them could attend church with their families. Sunday is often a very busy time for many restaurants. However, on Tuesday nights those same places could be almost dead. Would not going out to eat on Tuesday nights be better??? You're causing less stress, you're still giving the workers the same job with the same income, you're probably giving the waitresses a better living since its a proven fact that tips are horrible on Sundays, and last but not least you're allowing more people to attend church. Now, if those ideas seem judgmental to you... wow. There's no hope.

So basically, in my opinion, it's not about judging the morality of working on the sabbath, it's not about giving waitresses a job... it's about a lack of respect for some people's family lives by selfishly planning your business outings.

#104 corndogggy, Sep 1, 2006
  5. ACADEMIC

ACADEMIC New Member

IDEA: How about you and your church family go and adopt a poor family whose mom or dad is having to work on Sundays to make ends meet? Pay them to not work on Sunday for a few months and love them.

#105 ACADEMIC, Sep 1, 2006
  6. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe we all understand your feelings on this for you've stated several times that this is your OPINION, corndoggy. As long as you understand that everyone else has an opinion too, we're all in the same ballpark.

Perhaps you could poll the BB, being specific with your questions, and you'll get a better idea of the answers you are looking for than hashing ... and rehashing ... and rehashing ... and rehashing. Personally, I'd be much more apt to vote in a poll than risk being judged for my 2 cents.

7. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

At least hash is better than crow

(sorry, couldn't resist)

8. His Blood Spoke My Name

No, because even if the church stopped going to those restaurants, the world still goes to them.

The waitresses, waiters, and busboys are going to be there on Sunday regardless... if the employer puts them on the time schedule for that day... whether the church goer eats out or not.

9. His Blood Spoke My Name

Tuesdays???????!!!!!!!!!!

And miss bowling?

10. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not up to you people to do the judging. If you are, then you're not the righteous people you think you are.

I just can't believe that I'm offering a simple solution to get a few more people in church and some of you people are vigorously fighting against it and offering every possible excuse, dismissing it as total idiocy. I would say that it seems pretty pathetic, but I guess that would seem judgmental. But, since I really don't care what your personal opinion of me is... well... that's pathetic.

#110 corndogggy, Sep 1, 2006
  11. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Yeh----but we're close enough to call it that!!!!:laugh: :thumbs: :thumbs:

12. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You cannot intelligently tell me that it's the non-church going people who floods the restaurants before and after church on Sunday. Yes, some people still go, and workers have to be there to serve those people, but if the church-goers didn't go, they would not have to staff as many people at that time, and if you went out to eat on a different day, they would have to staff more people on that different day. It's pretty simple.

13. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BINGO! Think you can apply that there judging advice to yourself ... ?

14. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok, I'll do some thinking... just let me go to the all-you-can-eat buffet and grab a beer and I'll ponder it.

15. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, we could all afford to do a little more of that. ;)

Seeing as how you just joined the BB two days ago, and you haven't yet properly introduced yourself in the WELCOME forum, perhaps you could think on what you'd like to share with us about yourself. Looking forward to saying hello to you while your mind is fresh. :D

#115 PJ, Sep 1, 2006
  16. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That would be great, but I'm strapped right now, I just invested... oh, probably $25,000 of my own money into a business venture that at least a good chunk of helps poor people.

Assuming these people did not work every day of the week, which I seriously doubt they do, why not simply take your business to where they work on a different day other than sunday? Now, if you could get all your buddies to do the same, and their buddies to do that, and so on, maybe, just maybe, some of these people's schedule will be switched. Why won't this happen? Because it would require a tiny amount of effort. Man, what was I thinking.

Wow, that idea made me think I was talking like Arlo Guthrie in Alice's Restaurant:

"...and three people do it, three, can you imagine, three people walking in
    singin a bar of Alice's Restaurant and walking out. They may think it's an
    organization. And can you, can you imagine fifty people a day,I said
    fifty people a day walking in singin a bar of Alice's Restaurant and
    walking out. And friends they may thinks it's a movement.

And that's what it is , the Alice's Restaurant Anti-Massacre Movement, and
    all you got to do to join is sing it the next time it come's around on the
    guitar.

With feeling. So we'll wait for it to come around on the guitar, here and
    sing it when it does. Here it comes.

You can get anything you want, at Alice's Restaurant..."

#116 corndogggy, Sep 1, 2006
  17. RockRambler

RockRambler New Member

Bottom Line:

People who go out to eat on Sundays, shouldn't judge those who work in the restaurant on Sundays, and vice versa.

18. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A workable plan, indeed ... [​IMG]

19. Karen

Karen Active Member

True, and for the record, I do go out to eat almost every Sunday after church.
    But this thread is one more example of why the BB is sooo boring sometimes. A new poster says something interesting and worth, in my opinion, of at least thinking about.
    Then many jump on him for being judgmental, rather than really discussing the issue.

Well, he has a point. We have a market economy in which businesses respond to what we do. In my town in the Bible Belt, it is very obvious that the restaurants are filled on Sundays after church with church people, not firemen or policemen or hospital workers on duty.
    We all, in my opinion, should reflect on what we do as stewards of our resources and in how it affects other people. We are each responsible before God. And I doubt corndogggy was planning on forcing any of us to do anything.

20. RockRambler

RockRambler New Member

Karen I couldn't agree with your post more. My response wasn't so much to the new poster, but just a general statement after 11 pages of judgemental attitudes from some others.

Personally, I've always felt that if you had to work on Sundays to support your family, there is nothing wrong with it. There's a lot of folks sitting in the church house every Sunday morning that have less chance of being in heaven than some of the workers at Shoney's, IMHO.

I just think its a little hypocritical of folks to critize a restaurant worker for working on Sunday, when they're at the restaurant feeding their face.