1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eating Out on Sundays?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Thousand Hills, Nov 28, 2010.

1. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, I know, I know. And believe me, I'm glad that there are folks at the hospitals on Sundays or the fire/police/rescue, etc. But if at all possible, I'm going to try not to cause them to work for me.

Again, it's our conviction, but we don't force it on anyone else.

2. shodan

shodan Member
    Site Supporter

Love this line from that link: "Although true believers be not under the law as a covenant of works, to be thereby justified or condemned, yet it is of great use to them as well as to others, in that as a rule of life, informing them of the will of God and their duty..."

Exodus 20:8 “ Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates...

This was one of John Wesley's major concerns about the decadence of his day when God used him to revive England.

For most Christians, the Lord's Day is their Sabbath of rest
    [let the legalists dispute all they wish],

I remember my grandmother talking about church picnics down at the Fargo farm..."but never on a Sunday."

#22 shodan, Nov 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2010
  3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

All we know from Scripture is that New Testament believers assembled on Sunday.

There are no other rules to guide us.

4. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Targus, that was uncalled for. My wife reads Baptist Board and now she has lots of ideas for me. :eek:

5. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Glad you enjoyed the link. I am still working through many of these issues myself.I try to view it in a positive way......calling the Lords Day a delight.
    In other words we get to worship God and sanctify the day for our benefit.
    it is not meant to be a burden.

6. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Tom there are some verses that if looked at indicate how God changed the one day in seven to the first day.

7. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    k 16:1-2

"And when the Sabbath was Past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had brought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint Him.
    and very early in the morning the first of the Sabbath, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.
    Once again we see the language of one Sabbath being past (saturday), and they came to the tomb early in the morning of the FIRST of the Sabbaths (sunday). Very plain language that God is telling us of a new Sabbath day. Again, in your translation one of the words may read 'Week,' but both of the words are the 'identical' word Sabbaths [sabbaton]. God is alerting us that the old testament Sabbath is past, and with the resurrection of Christ, it's the start of the FIRST of the Sabbaths. What some theologians don't fully comprehend is that God knows what He is doing and has inspired to be said exactly what He wanted said. Every Word of God is deliberate, immutable, intentional, purposeful, and meaningful. Every jot and every tittle.
    Mark 16:9

8. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Acts 20:6-7

"And we sailed away from Philippi after the days of unleavened bread, and came unto them to Troas in five days; where we abode seven days.
    And upon the first of the Sabbaths, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight."
    Paul stayed seven days with them so that he could be there Sunday for Church when the disciples came together, had communion in breaking bread, and heard the gospel preached. It's not surprising that they would begin to meet on Sunday. Even though Paul for a time went to the Synagogues on the seventh day Sabbath and preached trying to persuade his brethren (the Jews who worshipped on that day) out of the scriptures that Messiah had come, they assembled (Churched) on Sunday.

9. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The last three posts were from a complete article that you can read here
    [QUOTECopyright ©1996 Tony Warren
    For other studies free for the Receiving, Visit our web Site
    The Mountain Retreat! http://members.aol.com/twarren10/
    -------------------------*---------------------------
    Feel free to duplicate, display or distribute this publication to anyone who would like a copy, as long as the above copyright notice remains intact and there are no changes made to the article. This publication can be distributed only in it's original form, unedited, and without cost.

Created 10/7/96 / Last Modified 12/23/99
    The Mountain Retreat / [email protected]
    ][/QUOTE]

10. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Maybe you miss understood my question. I was not asking about the 10 commandments. I was asking about the Sabbath laws. Are you saying that you keep the Sabbath laws?

11. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

Okay Thousand Hills I'm not falling for the old "SUNDAY" discussion again. You my friend have a serious SUNDAY FETISH!

12. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Dear Free,
    Thanks for your response. I tried to answer you when I said this;
    What specific law or law do you mean? The ceremonial laws like OT Israel have been done away now. That part of the law as well as the judicial laws are done away in Christ. That is made clear in Galatians and Col. We are not to keep those laws now.
    You write that you were not speaking of the 10 commandments...but I am.
    They are in effect before the mosaic law was spelled out.
    The ten commandments were a creation ordinance[ and I believe a new creation ordinance] and an eternal expression of God's righteous requirements.
    So the fourth commandment fiqures into it.
    The first exodus was the shadow, the NT Exodus is the reality.

I can expand on this if you like.....let me know.