1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ebook readers.

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by exscentric, Jun 27, 2010.

1. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about a thread on ebook readers. What type do you have? How do you like it? What is your favorite ebook download site - free we hope :laugh:

Wife has had a Nook for some time and loves it. She uses it daily every minute she gets. I ordered one for myself. I have an Aluratek pro but with my very old eyes the small (5 inch) screen is a tad small so will give the Nook a try.

I must admit with my reading problems I have not read a book for fun/pleasure in 50 years - till last week. The reader made it much easier for some reason. I've read profusely for education and study reasons but mostly with great effort. Since study began on a computer I've found reading much easier for me. Go figure, maybe it is just that I'm using my favorite toy :laugh::laugh:

We chose Nook due to the mini sd slot and customer replaceable battery as well as multiple formats.

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I did some extensive looking last year and in the end got a dell mini instead ;)

It doesn't do some of the stuff that the ereaders do, but I downloaded the kindle program and the ereader program and can read most every book I find on one or the other. I can also listen to audio books on it.

I'm still looking at them though. The possibilities are . . . mmmmm unlimited.

Here are some future ebook ideas that would be fabulous.

3. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are some great products coming up soon. Dell has a five inch that looks very nice, supposed to be under 200 but have my doubts.

There is a duo screen rig that does some basic computer items.

Your video has some good ideas. I was thinking last night my aluratek ought to be able to do a lot more than it does if they would do some software for it.

4. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Found the dell is a phone so no wi-fi from what I can tell.

I got a nook and had troubles with it and then no customer service. Called twice with no joy and so emailed them and they told me to call them so that was that - returned it.

Just ordered an Across 7 home tablet that has couple of ereaders and runs on android so is a full mini computer. See how that works for reading and other things.

5. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I like the versatility of the full computer used as a reader. The reader software isn't fully functional but there are some workarounds for what I really need.

6. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm looking forward to trying this unit, it is a 7 inch tablet designed for net use but has a lot of the phone apps of android and with time I suspect bigger/better apps to come out for these small tablet units.

They are coming out in 5, 7, 8, 9, and 10 inch. Good battery life and cheaper.

Their pricing is a lot nicer without the Windows bucks going to Microsoft.

My wife loves her Nook but really just uses it for reading. (She also has a netbook and laptop so is covered.) She does use the netbook for some of her reading as well.

7. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

I have the kindle from Amazon and love it. I really like the e-ink. The lighted screens like a laptop hurt my eyes after long use, the e-ink does not. They are not good for preaching from or taking notes, but it does make reading easier, faster, and more enjoyable. I have no idea why.

I still use my laptop and want either an ipad or tablet PC to use when preaching and bible study. I like in interface for ipad but want something that runs e-sword, so I'll probly purchase a tablet in the next 6 months or so.

Back to the e-reader, either the knnook or kindle is a no lose situation IMO.

8. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting, you said it is faster for you to read on the kindle, my wife says the same about her nook and I say the same on my little cheapy, yet the news said the other day tests show that the average person reads 11 percent slower on an ereader vs a book :smilewinkgrin:

Ehhh what do they know????????

9. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I use my I-pod Touch for reading and listening to audiobooks. I really enjoy using it. I can slip it in a shirt pocket and have it out and reading anywhere and anytime I have a few minutes to do so.

10. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I use my I-pod Touch for reading and listening to audiobooks. I really enjoy using it. I can slip it in a shirt pocket and have it out and reading anywhere and anytime I have a few minutes to do so.
    My guess is that I have read about 50 books since I bought it last August. Tons and tons of books are available free from http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

Free audio books are available from www.Libravox.org There is an application called "audiobooks" that can be downloaded to the Touch. My guess is there is one for the Kindel, Nook, etc. also.

All the books in Project Gutenberg and Libravox are in the public domain, so there is no cost.

11. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are a bunch of other free sites, just google for "free ebooks"

I have a dell pocket pc I've been thinking about for reading, just haven't gotten around to trying it, should work fine.

we had the Franklin ereader years ago and they worked fine, just a bit bigger than the dell.