1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Economy trumps abortion among

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, Nov 8, 2008.

1. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I will have to read this slowly so I can digest it. I have sever ADD so have to read things a little at a time.

Scanning through it I can tell you infer God places a lot of value on the flesh. I don't see it that way, if you read my response I believe God places more value on the soul.

Mt 10:27 What I tell you in darkness, that speak ye in light: and what ye hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops.
    28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Perhaps you can expound on how these verses apply to your above statement.

3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

He was simply saying not to stop anyone from coming to Christ. It has nothing to do with life or death.

This is your belief, yes I've seen a sonogram but I also know the fetus is dependent on the umbilical chord to exist. This isn't my definition of life. I believe life begins at first breath and ends with your last breath (giving up the ghost). When one is born, God breaths into your nostrils the breath of life. That is my belief.

Job 33:4 The Spirit of God hath made me, and the breath of the Almighty hath given me life.

4. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those verses apply to your statement, paraphrase: "We should almost be jealous that they didn't have to go throught the trials of life."

(Ecc 11:7) Truly the light is sweet, and a pleasant thing it is for the eyes to behold the sun:

A child that is not born does not get the chance to behold the sun, which is truly sweet and a pleasant thing, this has been denied through selfishness; so I see nothing to be jealous over and think in denying a child to be born has stripped him/her of the pleasantries of life.

(Ecc 5:18) Behold that which I have seen: it is good and comely for one to eat and to drink, and to enjoy the good of all his labor that he taketh under the sun all the days of his life, which God giveth him: for it is his portion.

No joy through the senses of fulfilling the hungry after a hard day at labor, all the days which God gives one who does get the chance to come into the world, that is, if an abortionist doesn't deny him the protion that God give those who labor in life.

(Ecc 5:19) Every man also to whom God hath given riches and wealth, and hath given him power to eat thereof, and to take his portion, and to rejoice in his labor; this is the gift of God.

No chance to rejoice in his labor, which is the gift of God, because he/she is denied life.

(Ecc 8:15) Then I commended mirth, because a man hath no better thing under the sun, than to eat, and to drink, and to be merry: for that shall abide with him of his labor the days of his life, which God giveth him under the sun.

No chance to eat, drink, and be merry while laboring all the days of his/her life, that God gave, because this life was denied.

In short, a person has but once to live and I see nothing in the least to be jealous over in that life being denied.

"that child never gets the opportunity to see, sense and experience the sun." doesn't seem to need explanation beyond that loss to the unborn.

5. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Okay,

Take your time and read the posts carefully. Your initial perception that they are concerned with the flesh is incorrect. Rae is arguing for the personhood of the fetus from conception based on the fact that the Scripture provides proof that there is continuity of personal identity when it discusses the fetus at conception, the baby in the womb, and the child/adult outside the womb. The posts are about the continuity of personal identity from conception to adulthood when the Bible is speaking about the same one person in all those phases of life.

#65 Bible-boy, Nov 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2008
  6. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Man, all men, through creation, became a living soul with a spirit, that is the breath of life spoken of which was given to God's human creatures. This breath equates to the spirit and has nothing to do with air one breathes. To apply the breath of life given to man to air sucked in at birth is rather missing the definition of the “breath of life.” Any man that comes into this world, or is formed in this world, made of the dust, has these things. This is my belief.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

And a newborn child is dependent on another person to exist - otherwise they will die. Is a person on a respirator alive? My father was on one after his triple by-pass. I guess he was dead at that time?

That's not even what the medical world believes. Life is present when the heart beats and there are brain waves. That occurs in the early weeks of gestation. By 7 weeks, I believe, all is in place and by medical definition, it is a life.

Did you know that in the third trimester, a baby is breathing inside the womb? This is confirmed by ultrasound. The diaphram doesn't suddenly start breathing at birth but it's been working before birth too.

8. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Source: Rae, Scott B., Moral Choices: An Introduction to Ethics, 2nd ed., Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2000, pg. 138.

*Comments in brackets [ ] were added by the poster. Likewise, the poster placed some text in bold font for emphasis.

#68 Bible-boy, Nov 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2008
  9. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Source: Rae, Scott B., Moral Choices: An Introduction to Ethics, 2nd ed., Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2000, pg. 139.

*The poster placed some text in bold font for emphasis.

10. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Source: Rae, Scott B., Moral Choices: An Introduction to Ethics, 2nd ed., Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2000, pg. 139-140.

11. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Um, I am guessing you are in complete denial.

The GOP has indeed controlled all three branches of government. Right now, the GOP has Roberts, Scalia, Alito, Thomas, and Kennedy (a moderate that could possibly go with the other four on a case involving abortion - but who knows?). As a matter of fact, with the exception of Ginsburg and Breyer (both appointed by Clinton), the rest of the current Justices were nominated by a Republican POTUS. A point worth noting is that Ginsburg was recommended to then-President Clinton by none other than Orrin Hatch (you will recall that the GOP controlled Congress at the time of her confirmation).

You don't have to acknowledge it, OldRegular, but it is a fact.

Regards anyway,
    BiR

12. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Source: Rae, Scott B., Moral Choices: An Introduction to Ethics, 2nd ed., Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2000, pg. 141-142.

13. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

You are simply showing your ignorance of the history of the Supreme Court.

14. OldRegular

Good information Bible Boy, not that those who believe in killing babies will change. And BO campaigned on the slogan Change You Can Believe In.

15. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Interesting that, yet again, you offer nothing but contumely.
    Again, what I wrote are FACTS, and do not require your acknowledgement to be FACTS.

To quote Mr. Zimmerman:
    "Yes, 'n' how many times can a man turn his head,
    Pretending he just doesn't see?"

Lyrics Copyright ©1962; renewed 1990 Special Rider Music

16. OldRegular

We have an O'Reilly on board!:thumbs: You know the guy on Fox who uses unknown or out dated words.:laugh:

Contumely: Insulting display of contempt in words or actions.:BangHead:

Right on BIR:tonofbricks:

17. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

He likes that word. he also likes:

1.:laugh:
    2. :laugh: :laugh:
    3. "Limbaugh said that"
    4. "Hannity said that"

After that you will not see much

18. OldRegular

Well he can't be completely out of the loop if he quotes [accurately I hope] hannity and Limbaugh.:tonofbricks:

19. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope. he only accuses every conservative of quoting them.