1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ecumenical creeds

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by billwald, Feb 21, 2006.

1. billwald

billwald New Member

"Boy Scouts of America" is a protected name. A boy could conform to all the obligations of "scouting" but wouldn't "be" a Boy Scout unless he officially joined.

If there had been copywrite laws 2000 years ago the denomination problem would not exist. The Jerusalem Synod would have "owned" the name "Christian" and its variations and probably owned "Christian" baptism and communion. Any organization that wanted to call itself "Christian" would have to associate with the Synod.

Instead, the historical church was inclusionary. Anyone could call himself a Christian (but there was no social advantage for doing so). The church solved the problem of heresies by the ecumenical creeds. Any person who agreed to the truth of the creeds was included.

My local congregation accepts anyone who is baptized as a Christian and who accepts the ecumenical creeds as a Christian and is welcome to join us in communion. Our unique catechisms (only) control membership for purposes of voting in congregational meetings and office holding.

Any other eccleasical (sp?) system requires reinventing the wheel every generation.

2. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

We ask that all laity learn and confess Luther's Small Catechism as a correct explanation of Scripture, something we have done since the late 1500's.

Our member congregations, pastors, teachers, dce's, and deaconesses are required to confess full agreement with the Book of Concord which includes the 3 ecumenical creeds, Luther's Large and Small Catechisms, Augsburg Confession, Apology to the Augsburg, Formula of Concord, Treatise on the Power and Primacy of the Pope, and the Smalcald articles.

3. nate

nate New Member

Our church also claims several of the early church creeds. I think they are excellent and churches should not shy away from using them. They simply back up sound Christian Doctrine.

4. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

In worship service I made part of the litury the use of the Apostle's and Nicene Creed plus our denominational statement of faith.

I have no problem with them but should not turn into merely a form of worship. The value is to think through the meaning behind the words of the creeds.

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I am not sure what you are getting at.
    But ecumenism, as in the "ecumenical movement." is a blight on true Biblical Christianity. It disregards doctrine and majors on unity instead. It sacrifices doctrine. Even the very sacrifice of Christ, the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ becomes unimportant and unnecessary in the light of ecumenism. It is the one thing that will eventually lead to the one world church of the coming Anti-Christ, something I intend to have nothing to do with. "Even so come Lord Jesus."
    DHK