1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Edification

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Thousand Hills, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

In another thread : http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=101277

Edification was discussed and this particular poster's unwillingness to accept constructive criticism.

Just curious, but are any of us here brave enough to say "Tell me what you really think of me, what things do I need to work on to be a better Christian based upon our interactions here on BB. I'm willing to listen to brothers and sisters in Christ who can build me up and help me be more useful for the kingdom."

2. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anyone who would be naive enough to make such a request on a public site...

3. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The rabbits on this board often gang up on me so why in the world would I listen to what they have to say?

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wouldn't call it courage, but I seriously do want to know of areas where people think I need work (acknowledging that our interaction here is limited). People are different - I am more apt to take a critical comment to heart but dismiss a complement.

#4 JonC, Aug 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2015
  5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well said....honestly, I know nothing about the people in here other than the persona's they project.....and vice a virsa.

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you have anyone in here you truly trust?

7. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wouldn't that be more honestly done to people with whom we are living life at our church or Bible study group.

We can get general ideas about a person, but who knows what they are like in the real world.

8. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why then do you repeatedly ask for advice?

9. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you are expecting a reasoned answer from someone who calls people rabbits?

10. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not really.

...unless I were to declare myself a Calvinist. :laugh:

#10 Rolfe, Aug 7, 2015
  11. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    #11 Revmitchell, Aug 7, 2015
  12. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We should all be mature enough to accept constructive criticism 'Incline your ear and hear the words of wise' (Prov. 28:17). If not, we should ask ourselves why we have come. Is it just to bore people with our own opinions? However, if I wanted counsel I would be more inclined to seek it within my church or among my godly friends than on a discussion forum.

If I did decide to confide in someone on a forum (and I'm sure there are many wise and godly folk here), I would be more inclined to use a P.M.

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you able to give us three examples of advice you have taken from anyone on this board?

14. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are several here who, upon being notified that their actions were incorrect or over the top, have apologized and changed their message.

So I'd say yeah, there are some here who are brave enough.

-----
    And by the way: the defininition of edification is "the instruction or improvement of a person morally or intellectually." Not, "tell me what I want to hear" or "make me feel good."

15. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm a Calvinist and he knows that, still hasn't stopped him from calling me a rabbit.

16. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

Maybe if you would actually take heed of the advice offered instead of writing someone off simply because they didn't pat you on the back and tell you how good you were doing, then you'd understand how edifying discussions can be with other Christians.

Maybe if you would accept advice with geniality, instead of brushing it off, whether you follow the advice or not... you need to realize that advice is not weakened or compromised simply because it comes from a non-Calvinist or from a non-Lordship-Salvationist...

17. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Iron sharpeneth iron."

How many of us understand what happens when something is sharpened?

It's best to use a lubricant; helps reduce friction.

As you run the edge on the sharpening material, slight pressure is used; some folks describe it as trying to "shave" a thin slice from the sharpening material. Too much pressure, and you cause stress and weakening of both materials.

As you continue, you in essence shave off a layer of both materials. The burrs in the edges, the imperfections, the dulled parts--are removed by this "shaving."

The imperfect parts are thus "cut away" from the whole, making it sharper. But there has to be a "cutting away" for this to happen.

You want to be edified, you need to be willing to have your imperfect edges shaved away. Doesn't sound painless or enjoyable, does it?

18. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Sure I would be glad to take computer advice from a non Calvinist. But that is the extent of it. I usually will not listen to them in areas like evangelism because we do not agree. But it's not like they can't ever give good advice. They may be excellent at Greek and with textual criticism and can give good advice.

19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In all truthfulness, this illustrates a barrier not only to communication but to edification. In years past this should have been enough to get someone banned (a consistent and unchristian belittlement of other posters). I understand that things can become heated and that people can charge their comments with more emotion than is warranted, but I will never understood why consistently belittling a brother/sister in Christ is now tolerated on a "Christian" board. This is not a church, and of course cannot exercise the discipline that a local church should, but it is a membership forum comprised of professing Christians who should be held accountable to at least act in a Christian manner (we all fail, but this is a consistent failing).

20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You and John MacArthur also disagree in areas of evangelism. Just wondering if he has made your "ignore" list yet (you haven't mentioned him in a while but I have grown to appreciate his sermons a bit more).

#20 JonC, Aug 7, 2015