1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eerdman's Publishes Mormon Book

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Marcia, May 2, 2005.

1. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

I am not personally acquainted with Marcia and I know virtually nothing about her of a personal nature. I have not attacked her person, her character, or her beliefs, but only the things that she has posted about other individuals and groups in the very many of her posts that I have read. The words in these posts are typically hypercritical and judgmental, and they questions the very hearts, motives, and intentions of many or our brother and sisters in Christ, and in my opinion, have brought discredit to our Savior and His Church.

[​IMG]

2. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A Glaring Inconsistency:

How can censoring Mormon apologetics be consistent with allowing apologetics on Mariolatry, Purgatory, Transubstantiation, Relics, Praying to "saints", Infant Baptism,etc, etc, ???

Our Baptistic forefathers were persecuted and killed for preaching and publishing the Truth.
    They were censored by the "POWERS THAT BE".

Freedom of conscience was once a basic tenet of "Baptists". What happened?(It is also part of the U.S. Bill of Rights-- even with no small amount of reluctancy on the parts of some of the "founding fathers"--who wanted a "state religion".)

Selah,

Bro. James

3. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

:rolleyes: Marcia...I for one appreciate the information you shared.My fiancee has a sister and brother-in-law that are deceived and trapped in the Godless Mormon cult and I agree it is reprehensible that a so-called "christian" publishing company should publish ANYTHING for ANY REASON that puts them in any favorable light.We ought to be crying aloud from the housetops about the deception of the devil anytime we discover it.As for Craigs comments...I wouldn't let that bother you at all.[Snipped for personal attack]

I know people here in the Greenville SC area that have multiple degrees,speak multiple foreign languages....and have absolutely no "common sense" at all.I wasn't impressed then...and I'm even less impressed now.Thanks again for the info you posted.My own experience in browsing through our local "christian" bookstores has confirmed for me that it is ALL about making money and nothing about helping the body of Christ walk true to the pure doctrinal truths of the "faith once delivered unto the saints".God Bless You Sister. [​IMG] Craig...remember..."pride goeth before a fall"....and...."let he that thinketh he stand take heed lest he fall.""humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God.The Bible is TRUE....and historically ACCURATE...all 66 books of it.

Greg Sr. [​IMG] [​IMG]

[ May 06, 2005, 06:53 AM: Message edited by: Bible-boy ]

4. Craigbythesea

Unlike Greg Sr. and Marcia, I have several hundred volumes in my personal library that were published by Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co. Indeed, I have more volumes in my library published by that publisher than any other publisher because their contribution to Christian publishing stands head and shoulders above all of the rest. Therefore I am not at all surprised to see that those who know the very least about Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co. are the very people who are finding fault with them.

And Greg, there are five books in the Pentateuch, not six :rolleyes: , and being able to count above four does not make me mad, it simply makes me educated [​IMG] .

[​IMG]

[ May 06, 2005, 06:56 AM: Message edited by: Bible-boy ]

5. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Good forum topic and post, Marcia!!! Mormanism is one of those "wolves in sheep's clothing" type of religons that have the ability to "deceive even the very elect"---they are anti-christ to the core!

Many on this thread have asked the reason we need to study their false religon---something along the lines of "We THINK we need to!"

To which let me add my opinion

I don't believe we need to get so caught up in "studying" this false cult as we do in getting caught up in studying the REAL thing!!! The Apostle Paul's greatest ambition in life was ---- "That I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings"

A bank employee is taught how to spot a counterfeit bill-----by handling the real thing!!! He/she becomes so familiar with the real thing---its texture/feel, smell, color, size, print----that when a counterfeit comes along---its rejected because the teller has become so keen in KNOWING what the real thing looks, feels, smells like----

So don't give me a study on Mormanism!!! If I visit your Discipleship Training class on a given Sunday Nite----I don't want you to tell me what they "think"---I want you to tell me what you KNOW about the Lord Jesus Christ!!!!!

Bro. David

6. Gregory Perry Sr.

Great post Blackbird and so true!If we as Christians are saturated in the truth as we should be from a thorough study of the Word of God then it stands to reason that we'll be able to recognize the false teachings of any devilish cult from a mile away.
    Again..kudos to Marcia for her original post.
    Now..Craig...you are exactly correct in your above condescending post...there are indeed only 5 books in the God inspired Pentateuch...not 6 as I mistakenly said.But I see you don't deny that you reject them as NOT being literally true...(which they ARE).You theistic evolutionists really astound me.As to Eerdmans...they have done what many others in our day are doing...they have compromised the faith "once delivered unto the saints" and sadly it is probably for nothing more than filthy lucre...the almighty dollar.I too have many of their published works on my shelf but I'll be careful not to give them anymore of the money that God has provided me in the future.
    Craig...wake up and smell the coffee...and develop a little humility.[Snipped for personal attack].JMO..I do love you and I will pray for you.Whether you want me too or not.

Greg Sr.

[ May 06, 2005, 07:01 AM: Message edited by: Bible-boy ]

7. hamricba

hamricba New Member

When that Eerdman's rep began defending the project by quoting the number of Mormons, it seemed the issue had more to do with $$ than truth- I honestly think more Mormons will buy it than Christians. Nevertheless, one would need to read the book to make a final assessment.

8. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    He wasn't quoting Mormons. He was quoting evangelical Christians.

9. hamricba

hamricba New Member

Gold Dragon,

This is what I was talking about:

"There are a LOT of Mormons in the US and across the globe. 5.2 million strong and growing."

Seriously everyone, who do you all think will buy this book? Mormons or Christians? I'll go with the former. On the heels of Ravi Zacharias' visit, I think the interest is there.

10. Craigbythesea

The greatest weapon against the false teachings of Mormonism is the truth. The more that a Christian knows about his own faith and the teachings of Mormonism, the less chance there will be of that Christian being deceived by the Mormons. If there is anything that Mormons hate, it is when their false teachings are exposed in detail by those who have studied their beliefs thoroughly enough to accurately expose them so that they have no defense. Typically, those who attempt to expose the false teachings of Mormonism do not know the teachings well enough to accurately expose them and the Mormons in turn are then able to absolutely refute the charges against their faith.

It is highly commendable that a Christian publisher that is known for upholding the very highest standards of excellence in Christian publishing would take on the false teachings of Mormonism by publishing a book written by a competent scholar rather than well-meaning but ignorant laymen. And now these ignorant laymen, instead of encouraging Christians to learn the truth about Mormonism from a Christian scholar, are viciously attacking the publisher who has made it possible for them to do so. Surely this is a time for rejoicing for the Mormons around the world. Surely the demons in hell are greatly relieved to learn that some Christians are trying to keep the truth out of the hands of Christians.

Note: By using the expression “ignorant laymen” I am not referring to any specific individuals but all such individuals that are using their websites, their pulpits, and other venues to attack one of the world’s finest Christian publishing companies.

[​IMG]

11. Craigbythesea

This is, of course, only half of the truth. Bank employees are also taught all of the warning signs of counterfeit bills so that they will easily spot the counterfeit bills.

Mormonism does not prey upon those who are knowledgeable of their false teachings; Mormonism preys upon those who are not.

[​IMG]

12. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

That may be true---to a point, Sir Craig---but I promise you----no morman false doctrine can touch me while I'm in the fortress!!!!!

13. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Here is solid information regarding the false teachings of Mormonism and how to evangelize them when you encounter them:

http://www.ontruth.com/solvingmormonpuzzle.htm

Here is more exposure of false Mormon doctrine:

http://www.ontruth.com/ldsatonement.htm

Here is a whole host of issues related to dealing with false Mormon doctrine:

http://www.ontruth.com/ldsindex.htm

Dr. Cky Carrigan works for the Southern Baptist North American Mission Board and is a visiting professor at SEBTS. He is the only Evangelical Christian Scholar that is conducting serious research into the false Christology and other false Mormon doctrines (of which I am aware) to expose the truth and help us to learn how to evangelize them when they come knocking at our doors.

14. Craigbythesea

Please refrain from addressing me in a slyly disparaging manner. You have done this before, and it sets a very poor example to others who may not know better.

[​IMG]

15. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem is not the content of a book nor the profits of the authors/publishers, but rather the spiritual illiteracy of the reader and those who are self-appointed censors.

"Reproving, rebuking and exhorting with all long suffering and doctrine" will overcome that which is false--please do not hinder the printing press. See: the life of William Tyndale.

Selah,

Bro. James

16. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Well, I feel that we should be knowledgeable about the Mormons and others (one can not know where they are in error, if one does not know what they believe). If I were the Christian Bookstore owner I would simply put such material in a section clearly labled "Cults" or "Other Religions". I feel that it is the retailers that should be responsible for what is on their shelves.

17. Karen

Karen Active Member

Unlike Greg Sr. and Marcia, I have several hundred volumes in my personal library that were published by Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co. Indeed, I have more volumes in my library published by that publisher than any other publisher because their contribution to Christian publishing stands head and shoulders above all of the rest. Therefore I am not at all surprised to see that those who know the very least about Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co. are the very people who are finding fault with them.
    [/QUOTE]

Craig, I'm not sure how you know this about the status of Marcia's and Gregory's libraries compared to your own. Many of us have large libraries.

From an earlier post of yours on this thread, it sounds like you are criticizing Zondervan. Are you suggesting that it should be avoided, even though Eerdmans is doing fine? If so, then you agree with one of Marcia's basic premises in this thread that Christian publishers don't automatically do right in their choices of book publishing.

Marcia, I appreciate your posts. They are always thoughtful, clear, and give useful information to evaluate.

Karen

18. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Matthew 12:43 "When an unclean spirit goes out of a man, he goes through dry places, seeking rest, and finds none. 44 Then he says, 'I will return to my house from which I came.' And when he comes, he finds it empty, swept, and put in order. 45 Then he goes and takes with him seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter and dwell there; and the last state of that man is worse than the first. So shall it also be with this wicked generation."

General knowlege about such cults is more than enough. We don't study Satanism to know it's wrong, nor should we engage in an indepth study of Mormonism, JW, Oneness, etc.

When confronted by one of these cults... remember this verse.

Proverbs 26:4 Do not answer a fool according to his folly, Lest you also be like him. 5 Answer a fool according to his folly, Lest he be wise in his own eyes.

There was a book in the 1980's called 'Answers to the Cultists at Your Door' which had key points about each current cult refuted with scripture.

19. Gregory Perry Sr.

As far as I know,most if not all of these cults deny the Virgin birth,the deity of the Lord Jesus Christ,and the Blood Atonement for sin.When we encounter these people we DO need to be well enough versed in our Bibles to be able to repeatedly show these people from the Word of God what the Bible says about these great foundational truths of the Christian faith.If we'll just simply give them the truth as stated in the Word of God,and avoid senseless arguing,the Holy Spirit can and many times will do His work of opening their eyes and hearts to the truth.They have been blinded and deceived...God must open their eyes...if they are to be opened.Just like He one day OPENED OUR EYES.

Greg Sr.

20. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Walter Martin's classic "The Maze of Mormonism" is really all one would need for a basic understanding of Mormonism.

And one should be completely familiar with their own "Sword".

Refuting Mormonism is not rocket science. Simply give them Scripture to their every claim and let the Spirit of God do the rest. I have seen it work first hand. While in prison I encountered a Mormon fellow and through the course of several months I was able to give him Scripture, (Just Scripture. No fancy arguments.) and one day God opened his eyes. He literally took his Book of Mormon and ripped it to shreds and was gloriously saved that day!

So, forget the fair sounding words and arguments. Just give 'em the Bible's answers and let God work.

Of course, it is all for naught unless it is accompanied with MUCH prayer!

With that being said, AMEN brother Gregory!

In HIS service;
    Jim