1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eight Facts About Warming Up Your Car

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by freeatlast, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have heard those claims since the early 90's. So, earlier this year when it was about 25 below zero I put my van in drive after about 45 seconds. The transmission fluid was so cold and thick that the engine bogged down and quit. I tried other idle times on similar cold day to find the minimum the van needs to drive, and I found 10 minutes is the shortest time for it to warm up enough to drive. It is a fuel injected and computer controlled vehicle.

I asked my regular mechanic about that and he said that while modern engines don't need that much warm up time, your transmission still does. Driving before the tranny fluid warms up enough is just asking for your tranny to go out sooner.

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I don't start that early, but that is my reason as well :) I hate scraping!

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Try covering your windshield. No scraping at all.

4. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I see by your avatar that you live in Texas. Unless you've lived somewhere in the north, you really won't understand what really cold temps that hold on for days and weeks are like. Covering doesn't do a thing when the temps get to -25. The ice is like rock. Oh, and the tarp will crack...

5. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am totally amazed at the lack of "green" by some of you latter posters!!:rolleyes:

PS: JFTR, I'm with y'all!! :D:thumbsup: I don't like scraping either.

6. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was minus 8 yesterday morning warming to a blistering 15 degrees last night. We got about 4 inches of new snow overnight and then -with temps in the mid-teens - it started to rain and sleet. No warmups? Give me a break. I wouldn't have made it to the end of the driveway.

7. billwald

billwald New Member

Rain-X makes scraping ice (and bugs) lots easier. I very seldom drive with the wipers on.

8. mets65

mets65 New Member

And I complain to no end about 30 degree mornings.

9. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We call that summer. :thumbsup: What kind of buses do you work on mets65? I drive an IC about 100 miles a day.

What about these all electric cars? The heater in my Fleetwood (and every other water cooled vehicle) uses coolant for a source of heat. Talk about green! It uses a by-product of internal combustion to provide a source of warm air. Brilliant! Anyway, I'm picturing myself with a scraper chiseling through a night's worth of ice and snow with my electric car silently churning out the BTUs to thaw my windshield. A few zero pollution minutes later and I pull the gear lever into Drive when a little skull and crossbones displays on the on-board screen flashing

You can either have a clear windshield
    or you can drive your car. Choose one.

10. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  11. targus

targus New Member

I agree.

Running frozen metal against frozen metal without warming up first makes no sense at all.

12. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I ain't no expert on anything. I have been operating and maintaining various mechanical contraptions of conveyance since 1961. I have been trained as a jet engine mechanic--jets need warmup too. I also have experience with operating mechanical stuff above the artic circle. We were always taught to allow mechanical stuff to reach operating temperature to insure all systems are go before launch. That is probably still good advice in most situations, in fact it seems absurd to do otherwise even in a BMW with autopilot.

My carbon footprint notwithstanding, when my 15 year old fuel injected pickup truck is parked outside in 25 F and ice on the windows and mirrors, I will start the engine, turn on the defrost and let it idle for 5-10 minutes. It sure is nice to have a warm cab and clear windows. I still take time to check the gauges for no-go situations.

Some folks put it in gear before the starter pawl retracts and then tach about 3 grand--all in about 3-5 seconds. Some collect on their drive-train warranty, some cannot.

We are in the throes of planned obsolesence--if you take good care of your stuff Detroit probably makes less profit. We have the technology to make things much more durable--but that could hurt the profit margins--autos and crude oil.

What else is new?
    Don't expect excellence--demand it.

Bro. James

13. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Coincidentally, I have just heard an item on BBC Radio Devon (our local BBC station) where an experienced driving instructor was giving tips on saving petrol. One tip was that it is better to reverse into your drive, garage, or parking space, because then you don't have to go into reverse on a cold engine next time you use your car. Apparently reverse gear + cold engine = more fuel used.

#33 David Lamb, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2011
  14. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can just see the holes in the garage wall now as the family miscalculates the distance....then the fuel saved is inconsequential. Bang zoom...lol

15. billwald

billwald New Member

Dangerous! Better to pump the fumes outside the garage and house.

16. Borneol

Borneol New Member

Thanks for the article! I wish it would warm up so I didn't have to worry about this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.