1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eight Grade Exam Part 2

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by gb93433, Apr 7, 2008.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Orthography (Time, one hour)

1. What is meant by the following: alphabet, phonetic, orthography, etymology, and syllabication?

2. What are elementary sounds? How classified?

3. What are the following, and give examples of each: trigraph, subvocals, diphthong, cognate letters, and linguals

4. Give four substitutes for caret 'u.'

5. Give two rules for spelling words with final 'e.' Name two exceptions under each rule.

6. Give two uses of silent letters in spelling. Illustrate each.

7. Define the following prefixes and use in connection with a word: bi, dis-mis, pre, semi, post, non, inter, mono, sup.

8. Mark diacritically and divide into syllables the following, and name the sign that indicates the sound: card, ball, mercy, sir, odd, cell, rise, blood, fare, last.

9. Use the following correctly in sentences: cite, site, sight, fane, fain, feign, vane, vain, vein, raze, raise, rays.

10. Write 10 words frequently mispronounced and indicate pronunciation by use of diacritical marks and by syllabication.

Geography (Time, one hour)

1 What is & nbsp; climate? Upon what does climate depend?

2. How do you account for the extremes of climate in Kansas?
    3. Of what use are rivers? Of what use is the ocean?

4. Describe the mountains of North America

5. Name and describe the following: Monrovia, Odessa, Denver,Manitoba, Hecla, Yukon, St. Helena, Juan Fernandez, Aspinwall and Orinoco.

6. Name and locate the principal trade centers of the U.S.

7. Name all the republics of Europe and give the capital of each.

8. Why is the Atlantic Coast colder than the Pacific in the same latitude?

9. Describe the process by which the water of the ocean returns to the sources of rivers.

10. Describe the movements of the earth. Give the inclination of the earth.

2. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I found it interesting because by the time I graduated from eight grade I could have answered most of those questions. The public school I attended made us work very hard. About 30% of the students went to college and most of them graduated. The school system had great support from parents, and the administrators did not put up with bad behavior from the students or their parents.

When I went to college I found that I did not have to work all that hard because of high school.

4. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

then you are one in a million. Unless you are 100+ years old.:thumbs:

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Shouldn't it be called "Eighth Grade" ?

6. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I would need to know what some of the questions mean before I could attempt answers! :laugh:
    Is syllabication the same thing as syllabification - dividing multisyllable words into single syllables?

Is "elementary sound" another name for "phoneme"?

Don't know what a "cognate letter" is. A Google search restricted to the UK brought up on 6 results. 2 of those were references to this very exam, 3 were referring to legal documents, and the last used the phrase to describe the change from the Anglo Saxon names to the current name of the city of Cambridge: "Grantan-brycge, Grantabricge, or Grante-brige, of the Saxon Chronicle, signifying "the Bridge over the Granta," the ancient name of the river Cam: by the substitution of cognate letters, the Saxon compound was altered after the Norman Conquest to Cantebrige, since contracted into Cambridge." So perhaps C and G are cognate, and M and N too.

What is a caret 'u'? I know that a caret is a sign to indicate missing text, but "caret u" has me stumped.

I understand that one (I think!)

Does that mean, "Give two reasons or purposes for silent letters in spelling"? Or does it mean "Give two letters or groups of letters that can be silent"?

OK with this one too.

Apart from "mercy" all those are one syllable anyway, so it seems a strange list of words to be divided into syllables.

Yes, I could do that.

Who defines mispronunciation? "You say tomato, I say tomahto."

Geography (Time, one hour)

I don't know, what is & nbsp; climate?

Both vague questions. Of use to whom or to what? What sort of description is being sought?

But the question has already named them! The name of Monrovia is Monrovia.

The rest were reasonably straightforward.

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Public schools! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Why idoes this farce keep hanging around, and reappearing like poster _____ ______ keeps doing on the BB? :confused:

Ain't it time it was permanently put to :sleeping_2: ???

Ed

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I are a collij grad-e-ate konsidered to have one of them thar' high IQs, and I would have a difficult time passing this test, especially given the subjective nature oif some of the answers required. Simply put, this test assumes knowledge that realistically would not have been available at the turn of the century, and therefore is a farce, from the get-go!

Ed