1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Elder lead vs Congregation lead

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Berean, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

It's helpful in a discussion such as we're having to define terms and agree on those definitions.

For instance, Acts 20:28 defines elders also also in the roles of pastor (shepherds) and bishops (overseers). The same man wears those different hats.

There is, of course, room for a plurality of elders where warranted. In modern times we might designate a Worship Pastor, Preaching Pastor, Pastor for Geezers, etc.

So, if we try to equate elders with deacons, we're gonna miss the mark. And if we try to make the deacons a ruling body, we'll miss it as well.

Deacons are first and foremost servants, not rulers. Some churches, however, may entrust certain responsibility and authority to deacons.

I also am leery of describing our deacons as a "board," which implies rule.

My pastor/elder/bishop has a lot of power in our church because he has a lot of responsibility. To give a pastor responsibility without commensurate authority is self-defeating.

Same for deacons. For a congregation to assign responsibiity to deacons without appropriate authority doesn't work very well. That, in my opinion, is who deacons came to be regarded as "running the church." The church looked to them to get jobs done, and it grew from there.