1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Elders in the NT Church

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by richard n koustas, Dec 11, 2005.

1. richard n koustas

richard n koustas New Member

gb93433:

I wasn't questioning whether or not there were "house churches", i was looking for references for "one leader each"

2. drfuss

drfuss New Member

At first the apostles were in charge if there was one in the local church. That is why Paul devotes some parts of his letters to demonstrate that he was an apostle. If there was no apostle in the local church, then a group of elders with various gifts were in charge. Pastor was not a position, but a ministry to new christians who need a lot of attention. Teachers and prophets (preachers) ministered to the whole church. Today the position of pastor is in charge of it all. Who knows? This may be Gods will for the church today.

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I coulda' swore that my Bible referred to 'pastor' as a gift. 'Course, my copy is over 10 years old!
    Ed

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Every church starts with one leader. Most house churches would have only been about 20 people or less. No need for more than one pastor with a church that size.

5. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Thanks rl, I just wanted to make sure that was still there. After reading about the office of pastor, senior pastor, etc. from some I thought maybe that had been changed, and no one told me. Heh! Heh! Now if maybe you can find where Scripture says that there is a pastor in every church, as some have claimed, we'll all be on the same page. No wait, I've got a better idea. I'll go buy me a couple of new inexpensive Bibles, say an ESV or HCSB, or some other version, or even look at BibleGateway on line, and maybe I can find out when that part was put in, as well. Hey, I just found a verse- in fact I'll quote it for some.
    It's Phillipians 1:1 -
    "Paul and Timothy, bondservants of Jesus Christ, To all the saints in Christ Jesus who are in Philippi, with the bishops[a] and deacons: "

To use my nephew's favorite quote, "Unbelievable!"
    It is amazing. How rude of Paul! Maybe there were some personal problems, or something! Paul could call attention to every member, the BISHOPS, and the DEACONS, and still leave out the church's most important person of all, the Senior Pasto...!
    Ed

7. richard n koustas

richard n koustas New Member

Ed:

a couple years ago i was attending a men's bible study on phillipians. one of the men asked that very same question on the first verse. "what about the pastor?". i thot every one knew that the new testiment churches were set up with 'elders' (plural). [​IMG]