1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Elected to be lost

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by saturneptune, Sep 11, 2007.

1. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

When my alarm clock went off at 5:30 this morning my desire was to sleep for another hour or so, but to accomplish my purpose of being at the hospital with a child and family in our church for his surgery this morning, I only got to hit the snooze button twice. I did not want to get up, but I chose to get to accomplish a purpose.

If God's purpose in creation were salvific (the saving of all men, or as many as He could get), we could then say that God's purpose was thwarted by the will of man. IF, on the other hand, God's purpose in creation is doxological (His glory), then we are free to acknowledge that although God desires the salvation of all, He does not insure the salvation of all, because that is not His OVERALL plan.

Here is a quick summary of my position on God's purpose and I will check back later...

God purpose in creation is to reveal His glory to all of creation and to share His glory with those whom He has chosen...

Man will never frustrate the sovereign will of God, but God does not always override the rebellion of man's free will in the accomplishment of His purpose. Believers come to Him because He changes their heart, not because any of us have a heart that is more predisposed to righteousness....

2. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

Some do and I have some very CLEAR Scripture in that regard...

Let them then argue with God, not me...

3. lbaker

lbaker New Member

How can "clay" be responsible for actions/choices that they aren't free to make?

Les

4. lbaker

lbaker New Member

So does this make Adam our Creator?

Les

5. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

God created Adam. Adam and Eve procreated us. God did not make anyone a sinner. Adam and Eve were created in "unconfirmed creature holiness" or innocence. When Adam sinned, he plunged himself and all of his future posterity into a fallen sinful condition. Even in this fallen sinful condition, some elements of God's image are still seen in us.

God created Adam a free moral agent with a free will. Adam had the capacity to not sin. Because he did sin and because we are his offspring, we DO NOT have the capacity to not sin.

(meeting has not started yet, can chat for a while!)

6. lbaker

lbaker New Member

But, ultimately, if Adam was somehow able to spiritually/genetically change us because of his sin, was it not God that gave him that ability? There's no indication of Adam making some decision to purposefully take away our free will, is there? How could Adam change the makeup of mankind by himself?

Les

7. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Are you asking me or God? I simply quoted Scripture. The Scripture used in that illustration is simply showing us that God (the Creator) has the right to make us (mankind corporally or individually) in the manner He sees fit. Just as the potter can make a vessel unto honor or unto dishonor. Yes, this goes against our pride..... hense Paul's answer to the objection in Romans 9.

8. lbaker

lbaker New Member

So are you saying that we have no ability to make choices as to whether to follow God or not?

Les

9. npetreley

npetreley New Member

In other words, “Why does He still find fault? For who has resisted His will?”

10. reformedbeliever

If by "follow God" you mean seek God, then no. In the unregenerate (lost) state, man does not seek God. Romans 3:10. As it is written: "There is none righteous, no, not one;
    11. there is none who understands; there is none who seeks after God.

11. lbaker

lbaker New Member

Are you saying that God deliberately creates people for the purpose of eternal torture, and that they have no choice, no hope?

Les

12. lbaker

lbaker New Member

But man is held accountable for not seeking God when he is unable to do so, and tortured forever as a result?

Les

13. reformedbeliever

Let me ask you something Les. Does God know who will and who will not receive Christ? I think you will answer yes.
    Does God allow those who He knows will never receive Christ come into existence, knowing that they will spend eternity in hell?
    If God knows who will never come to faith (He does) can they come to faith? If God knows they will never come to faith, then they will never come to faith... or God is not all knowing.

14. reformedbeliever

There is no such thing as a non elect person who is just dying to know Christ. They are not out there saying "oh how I wish I could be saved." They are in their sin willingly. They are in their unbelief willingly.

15. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

rjprince posts
    24 no scripture
    34 ditto
    35 ditto
    36 ditto
    37 ditto
    39 ditto
    41 ditto
    42 ditto
    45 ditto

Not one scripture in all these post and then you post this to me? I could of went back farther but no need.

rjprince;
    If you going to give rules, at least abide by them yourself!!

#55 Brother Bob, Sep 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2007
  16. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Paul suggested that they are vessels prepared for destruction. Argue with scripture, not me.

This is a different issue. They have a choice, and they choose according to their nature. Just like you and I did before God changed our hearts.

17. lbaker

lbaker New Member

But, in this scenario God is allowing man to make that choice, not making it for him.

Les

18. lbaker

lbaker New Member

How do you know that?

How can they be in their unbelief willingly if God gives them no choice to believe and makes them such that they can't believe?

Les

19. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Its quite unbelieveable to read we have a choice, but you going to hell anyway!......:)

20. lbaker

lbaker New Member

So it was possible for them to have chosen to believe and be saved?

Les