1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Elected to be lost

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by saturneptune, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A Reminder

All those who hold to double predestination are not hyper-Calvinists . You would be eliminating an awful lot of true Calvinists if that were the case .

2. lbaker

lbaker New Member

I think the key is that Romans 9 says almost the same thing. It doesn't say exactly what I hear the Reformed folks sort of beating around the bush about. They seem to want to have it both ways - that we are responsible for doing wrong, but have no capability to do right. You can't have one without the other.

Les

3. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

And I stand corrected. Thank you sir. I lean toward supralapsarianism.... its just that I can't really say i'm either. I think that through the providence of God, we will always choose in a manner that is consistent with God's decreed will. Is that leaning towards supra? I don't think we can choose in a manner that will be inconsistent with God's decreed will.

4. lbaker

lbaker New Member

It may be that I have a wrong view, that's what I'm trying to sort out. So far it is not making sense to me. God's providence is certainly interesting and mysterious, but I don't think that is what we talking about here.

It seems you want to make man helpless and yet responsible at the same time and that is what doesn't make sense to me and where I see Reformed theology breaking down.

Les

5. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

I'll assure you that I don't make man anything. I've given Scripture to back what I believe. Refute that Scripture if you want to. It matters not what I believe. What matters is what Scripture says.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, Scripture is clear- no man comes to the Son unless the Father draws him.

A funny story I think I've told here before - There's a couple that are old friends of our family. She was saved, he was not. After years of praying for him - counseling him, teaching him, the husband STILL refused Christ. Finally, my pastor said to him "You know, I think you just might not be one of the elect. I guess you just CAN'T be saved." LOL - Of course, that got him thinking and he DID turn his heart to the Lord and has been an amazing man of God ever since.

All that I know is that man is going to hell in a handbasket and God, in His sovereignty, has chosen those who will be saved. Is He condemning man to hell when it's not their fault? That would be unfair, wouldn't it? Is God unfair? No - He can't be. But we have such limited minds and cannot comprehend what God's purposes are OR how He works everything.

The most important thing in my mind:

What is the state of my heart towards the Lord?
    Am I trying to reach others for Him? It's not my responsibility to save them but to be faithful in spreading the Gospel and knowing that God will allow that seed to take hold in some. I don't know who will be saved so I just figure that it's my job to be sure that everyone hears so I don't miss anyone.

Hope that makes sense.

7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Amen. Soli Deo Gloria.

8. npetreley

npetreley New Member

That passage in Romans 9 addresses exactly the fact that you can have one without the other. It says, "Why does He still blame us, for who resists His will?" The question clearly states the problem from the perspective of the person who cannot do right, yet is still being held responsible for the fact that he does wrong.

Then you get your answer, which you still don't seem to accept.