1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Election and the many views of it?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by MB, Aug 19, 2008.

1. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I can accept that this is your impression Amy, but when I read Joe's statement I saw in it a "ho hum" attiutude, which he may have meant toward 'calvinism' but used the very words of Scripture save two. And it grieved my heart greatly.

What you see as over dramatic is my reverance for the doctrine of Scripture.

2. FERRON BRIMSTONE

FERRON BRIMSTONE New Member

You think too highly of your fellow Man. Through Adam We entered a fallen state called "Total Depravity". It means that by nature we are sinners, so the first chance we get we sin. Since this sin effects every part of our being we all knowingly and willingly reject Christ. It is only when he changes our hearts that we are able to do anything but reject him.

3. ReformedBaptist

And you think your understanding of justice is perfect? I doubt that you would.

4. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

allow me to post the full context..

You will say to me then, "Why does he still find fault?

For who can resist his will?"

But who are you, O man, to answer back to God?

Will what is molded say to its molder, "Why have you made me like this?"

Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for dishonorable use?

What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction,

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Eph 2:1 And you did he make alive, when ye were dead through your trespasses and sins,

Sure sounds like we die spiritually through OUR trespasses and sins!

6. ReformedBaptist

Instead of debating the doctrine on matters of our understanding of justice, why doesn't someone (or several) attempt an exposition of the following:

2 Timothy 1
    6Wherefore I put thee in remembrance that thou stir up the gift of God, which is in thee by the putting on of my hands.

7For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

8Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God;

9Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

10But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:

11Whereunto I am appointed a preacher, and an apostle, and a teacher of the Gentiles.

#46 ReformedBaptist, Aug 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2008
  7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If you wanted to post the full context, you would have alluded to the fact Romans 9 - 11 is in regards to Israel, and God was speaking of His right to choose one people (Israel) over another (gentiles).

8. ReformedBaptist

Perfect answer! It is always the answer of God to the objections!

9. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

So we are not born "in Adam" till we sin?

10. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

and that is what election is.

The right for God to chose a people. Welcome to Calvinism.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Let me answer this question with a question...are we not "in Christ" until we have faith?

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Like I said, God endures with much patience vessels of wrath. Who are the vessels of wrath? Unbelievers.

This whole section of scripture is about God bringing in the Gentiles as well as the Jews, not invidual salvation.

13. Joe

Joe New Member

Adam and Eve were saved, so comparing them to the lost world is comparing apples and oranges.
    They reacted to a new view of life. One that shocked them, and likely scared them.

The scripture you offered regarding Genesis doesn't back this up.

Scripture plz

Ok so this is your scripture which is to show above? It doesn't even address it. let's see the WHOLE thing in context

Here is the NKJV verson

Romans 1:20 -25 "For since the creation of hte world, his invisible attributes are clearl seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, Because, althoughthey knew God, they did not Glorify him as God, nor were thankful but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkenned. 22 Professing to be wise, they became fools, and changed the glory ofhet incoruptible GOd into an image made like corruptable man-and birds and four footed creeping things. They also gave them up to uncleanliness, in the lusts of their hearts to dishonor their bodies among themselves. 25 Who exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshipped and served the creature rather than the creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.

If you were to read this in context, it is directed at certain kinds of people, they are quite depraved and worshipping an idol. It is not directed at the lost in general nor does it relate to what you are trying to prove. They are choosing to reject God, so they will go to hell

Scripture? God chose SOME of us? So you happen to be it, right? What are his divine reasons for sending one to hell and the other to heaven?

That's a parable, making it much more difficult to understand. It appears a parable to a wedding paralleling what heaven will be like. All invites went out for the wedding and some guy showed up dressed improperly, not able to enter the event. Apparently he did this on purpose, so I agree. Some people will choose not to enter heaven or hell for whatever reasons.
    Now we have a psalm, do you have any real verses?

What is the reason? I missed something....scripture?

Agreed

Agreed. Before he created the world his perfect plan was that everyone be saved but Eve ate the fruit and it got all screwed up.

Maybe if we chose one scripture, and included the 10 sentences before and after the scripture, we could present it in better context. If you have anything else, I would be interested. Thanks

#53 Joe, Aug 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2008
  14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If you believe this, then you have to agree that He chooses those who have faith in Christ since this is what the entire Bible tells us. Welcome to non-calvinism :)

15. FERRON BRIMSTONE

FERRON BRIMSTONE New Member

I pointed to Adam to show that sin is universal. I made clear that We all sin.

16. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Web...let me ask you this...

Are you saying a Gentile can answer back God?
    Are you saying a Gentile can resist Gods will?
    Are you saying a Gentile can find fault?

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm confused now. Are you saying you do or don't hold to Total Depravity? Scripture states we die spiritually when we sin (Eph. 2, Rom. 7) which contradicts augustinian original sin.

18. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Salvation is not by a nation. :) Nations are made up of people. It has nothing to do with a land base

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

No. God chose Israel, and the gentiles cannot question God as to why, nor change it, nor find God's choice of Israel as being something unjust.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't recall Amy saying salvation was by a nation. Romans 9 - 11 is about God's selection of Israel still, though.