1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Election Keeps No One Out Of Heaven

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by The Archangel, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winman

Winman Active Member

Oh, I see, when I take God's word as literal I err? I need someone like you to explain what these verses really mean?

I think you should spend more time reading the scriptures and less time listening to reformed teachers who explain away scripture.

2. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

:smilewinkgrin:

3. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Winman....I am content let you remain in your error if you want to remain unteachable. This is a free country you can do as you please.
    For you to casually set aside reformed brethren...who have gotten it right....and suggest that I need to ignore verses offered by Dagg, the reformers, puritans, apostles.......to listen to you, Van, webdog, and a few others instead is almost like something on the sci-fi channel.

So all the reformers,and all the confessing church is in error???? only heretics like finney and pelagius got it right....yes...i see very clearly now:laugh::laugh:

It is because I read the scripture ...as these other men did, that we believe these truths found in the scripture. This you cannot seem to believe and yet almost everyone says the same thing.

5. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not ungodly thought. There are other ways to interpret Romans 9 that do not make God the author of sin, which is exactly what Calvinism does, despite protests to the contrary.

#25 StefanM, Sep 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2011
  6. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You can error taking something literally, or figuratively
    If you take God's word literally why do you have a picture of a hippie knocking on a door in your avatar?? when literally we read this:

what is that picture of the hippie,supposed to be??? a second commandment violation??

So your claim of taking something literally needs some explaining.

7. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

You appear to put more confidence in the reformers than you do in the plain teaching of the Word of God. This is all to common with Calvinism.

8. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Could God have saved everyone if he chose to? Of course. The cross was sufficient for all. So there goes that argument. You are in the same boat.
    Rejection of Christ and sin.
    Well, you need to get out more. But really, we teach that no non-elect person will want to come to Christ and be saved.

9. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

sorry, but this is totally uncalled for. No one is putting the teachings of men over the word of God. I'm saddened that you would say this about your brothers in Christ.

10. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Brother, with all due respect, Romans 9 is talking about the Israelites and Gentiles. God hardened their(Israellites) hearts due to continual rebellion towards Him, and He then turned to us, the Gentiles.

Romans 9
    22 What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:

23 And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,

24 Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?

25 As he saith also in Osee, I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved.

26 And it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people; there shall they be called the children of the living God.[/U]

We(Gentiles) were the "vessels of wrath fitted for destruction", even being referred to as dogs by the Jews. But when Jesus died, He tore down the middle wall of partition, so that now, there is no more Jew nor Greek, male nor female, but one Spirit. By this One Spirit, are we baptized into the One body, which is Jesus Christ the Lord.

Ephesians 2
    11 Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;

12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:

13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.

14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;

15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

16 And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:

17 And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh.

18 For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.

19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;

20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;

21 In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:

22 In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

You see here, Apostle Paul is telling them how Jesus grafted in the Gentiles by His death, burial, and resurrection. Those who were/are nigh are the Jews(God's chosen{elect} people), and the Gentiles were the ones who were afar off. When the veil of the Temple rent in twain upon Jesus' death, it signified the ending of the Law, and the ushering in of a New(Grace) Covenant. Now, Jesus is drawing all unto Him, but not all will come. Jesus stated in John 12:32,"If I be lifted up, I will draw all men unto me."

11. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

If they(non-elect) were passed over the same way God chose His elect(before the foundation of the world), then how does the cross have any effect on the non-elect whatsoever??? They were born in an alredy condemned state(reprobation) not having done anything good or evil. So, in fact, the cross would have no effect on their condition, considering God actively passed over them, and left them in their already fallen state.

Actually, rejecting Jesus would be a moot point. They were already born in their condemned state, and God chose to pass over them before they had even taken their first breath. In y'alls stance, they have already rejected Christ(from the moment of birth, no less), and weren't even aware of it.

Now, I agree that everyone who truly wants to be saved, will be saved. Not one lost person, who calls out from the depths of a broken heart will be cast aside. We are in agreement here. The only ones who die lost are those who choose to reject Christ, those who will not humble theirselves under His tender hand of mercy, who want to live their life their way, IOW, thos who reject His calling to them.

Now Brother, please do not take this post as me being hateful or a smart aleck. I did not intend for it to come across that way. May God bless you, and your whole family!!!!

#31 convicted1, Sep 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2011
  12. Winman

Winman Active Member

The cross is meaningless in your system for the unelect as Willis correctly pointed out.
    In your system the unelect are born dead in sin and totally unable to accept Christ. It is like God punishing a person born blind because he cannot see. Horrendous, how can any thinking person accept such doctrine?

Oh, I understand perfectly what you believe and it is horrible.

And many years ago there was a famous country song that sang, "everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die". Maybe it is you that needs to get out of that Reformed library.

13. Winman

Winman Active Member

Your avatar is a graven image too. Apparently, you must worship yourself if your interpretation be true.

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    you should add..."And Blessed to be"....without that, your in hell.

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say then that your the neurotic type who cant put faith in Gods saving Grace & Love. Anyone who wants salvation already has it! Sorry but I dont buy your explanation.

16. quantumfaith

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Thank you Stefan for clarifying that any (perhaps all of us) may "get it" wrongly no matter how pridefully we may claim otherwise.

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    CONGRATULATIONS! or as the motto goes "Post Tenebras Lux/ after darkness, light":thumbs::applause:

18. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Concerning your "neurotic" implications, not true. It looks to me you have a problem with the Biblical term and theology concerning the elect and election, and/or just don't like it. It's all over the Bible, get used to it.

A person knows they are elect, Paul speaks about it to the churches he wrote to telling them they are elect/chosen, and we know these things to be true simply because we have been drawn to Christ and have been subsequently regenerated.

No need to then wonder if we are "elect" as this is synonymous with being His people, saved, regenerated &c in it's result.

Unconditional election brought comfort to the reipients of the Epistles. We, (the elect today) happen to also be recipients of this living Word of God.

19. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Spot on brother. :thumbsup:

Their error is never ceasing. Finney and Pelagius have done MUCH damage. Proof-texting kings they are, and thus their followers.

20. quantumfaith

The only ones to ever "KNOW" they were elect was the nation of Israel and the particular individuals that God called to fulfill roles in the guidance, encouragement and correction in that national, ethnic and spiritual obligation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.