1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Elections will cost $3.9 billion

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by bb_baptist, Oct 31, 2004.

1. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

The 2004 presidential and congressional elections will cost a record $3.9 billion, according to projections based on a study of campaign finance figures by the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics. The estimate represents a 30 percent increase over the $3 billion spent on federal elections four years ago.

The presidential race alone, fueled by massive spending by President Bush, Sen. John Kerry, the political parties and a host of advocacy groups spending millions on ads and voter mobilization, will cost an unprecedented $1.2 billion or more, according to the Center's estimates.

http://www.opensecrets.org/pressreleases/2004/04spending.asp

2. billwald

billwald New Member

Or create $4 billion work and jobs. Every balance sheet has 2 sides.

3. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

$4 billion is only a tiny fraction of what the war in Iraq has already cost. When George Washington was running for re-election, $4 billion dollars was a lot of money, but it isn't any more. In downtown New York just a few city blocks would sell for more than $4 billion dollars, and at the present rate of inflation of home prices in my neighborhood, it won’t be long before my house is worth more than that :D !

[​IMG]

4. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A lot of people have been employed in throwing mud and writing negative ads. These people will have to draw unemployment until the next election begins, perhaps the day after the President is sworn in.

$4,000,000,000? Mark Twain always did say that we had the best Congress that money could buy.

5. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

With Bush and the GOP in control, $4 billion is no more than is added to the deficit in four hours. The money will be borrowed between the time the polls open ane the time we eart lunch. Our kids will suffer for it.

But, hey, we don't want the Democrats in power, we want Republicans who implement the Democrat agenda agenda, only worse.

6. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

2004 Cycle Large Donors to PoliticalMoneyLine's Key 527 Groups

1 . Soros, George $26,530,105
    2 . Lewis, Peter B $23,147,220
    3 . BING, STEPHEN L MR $13,952,682
    4 . Sandler, Herbert M and Marion O $9,482,059
    5 . Rappaport, Andrew & Deborah C $8,982,900
    6 . PERRY, BOB J $8,090,000
    7 . Service Employees Int'l Union $7,199,101
    8 . AFL-CIO $6,972,796
    9 . American Fedn of St Cty & Municipal Empls $6,870,700
    10 . PICKENS, T BOONE MR $5,520,000

http://www.fecinfo.com/cgi-win/irs_ef_527.exe?DoFn=&sYR=2004

7. billwald

billwald New Member

Agree with P.J. Doesn't matter who is elected, nothing changes.

Agree with C.M.G. . . . maybe. Not much difference between people making money writing political garbage and people making money writing "Christian" music garbage and making all the junk that CBD sells to "Christians" who think buying it will make them more "spiritual."

30 years ago I hated going to malls because I couldn't afford all the junk. Now day I accompany The Wife to the malls to look at the silly people. There isn't anything I want or need.

But thank God for all the stupid people who keep the economy going by buying toys on credit and slaving overtime to pay for them, else I couldn't afford to live quite nicely on a half pay (actually 60%) pension.