1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Elijah

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Gina B, Jun 23, 2001.

1. DocCas

DocCas New Member

From the time of the expulsion until the great flood, it was guarded by Cherubim to keep people out. I believe it, like all else, except what was on the ark, was destroyed in the flood. I also believe it will be recreated either during the Millenium or on the New Earth. [​IMG]

[ June 25, 2001: Message edited by: Thomas Cassidy ]

2. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Thank you! [​IMG] It's quite simple, compared to what I'd been told, but makes sense!
    Gina

3. firedome

firedome New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Thomas Cassidy:
    From the time of the expulsion until the great flood, it was guarded by Cherubim to keep people out. I believe it, like all else, except what was on the ark, was destroyed in the flood. I also believe it will be recreated either during the Millenium or on the New Earth. [​IMG]

[ June 25, 2001: Message edited by: Thomas Cassidy ]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dr. Cassidy,
    I like to think that the angels were not there to keep man out, but were there to keep the way open. If I remember right the scripture sayd that they (the angels) had a sword which turned in all directions. Is not this the description of the beasts in Ezekiel's vision in which represents God's work covering the four corners of the earth and never ceasing?

4. DocCas

DocCas New Member

"Keep" means to guard or reserve. As in "Castle keep."

5. KeeperOfMyHome

KeeperOfMyHome New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Thomas Cassidy:
    "Keep" means to guard or reserve. As in "Castle keep."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As in keepers at home! :D ;) :D

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And a problem would occur if fallen, sinful Adam & Eve returned to the Garden and ate of the Tree of Life. They would live forever in a sinful state.

Hence, the cherubs keeping the entrance from such an incursion.

BTW, WE will have access to the Tree of Life in Heaven. Wonder what its fruit tastes like? Wonder if I'm even gonna care!! [​IMG]

7. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Dr. Bob, would you please tell me where it is in the Bible that says we will have access to it? I'll ask those who think Eve partaking of the fruit meant she had a sexual relationship with Satan their take on THAT! :eek:
    Gina

8. Psalm145 3

Psalm145 3 New Member

Revelation 22:2 In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.

Our access to the tree of life will be restored in the new Jerusalem.

9. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Duh. I just read part of that chapter this morning. I should have done a better job!
    Anyone else on the original subject?
    Gina

10. Chet

Chet New Member

I hope its not too late to reply to this original subject?

I agreed with Psalm 145:3. I want to just add a few more thoughts.

The Bible has four original words in which we get the translation "hell".

The Hebrew word =
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>7585 she'owl (sheh-ole');
    or sheol (sheh-ole'); from 7592; Hades or the world of the dead (as if a subterranean retreat), including its accessories and inmates:
    KJV-- grave, hell, pit.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Greek words =
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>5020 tartaroo (tar-tar-o'-o);
    from Tartaros (the deepest abyss of Hades); to incarcerate in eternal torment:
    KJV-- cast down to hell.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>86 haides (hah'-dace);
    from 1 (as negative particle) and 1492; properly, unseen, i.e. "Hades" or the place (state) of departed souls:
    KJV-- grave, hell.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>1067 geena (gheh'-en-nah);
    of Hebrew origin [1516 and 2011]; valley of (the son of) Hinnom; ge-henna (or Ge-Hinnom), a valley of Jerusalem, used (figuratively) as a name for the place (or state) of everlasting punishment:
    KJV-- hell.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now I believe that the Hebrew word she'owl is the same place as the Greek word Hades. I also believe that Luke 16 must not be ignored in that Jesus is describing to us a place where the dead went. This place had two sections, Abraham's Bosom (which was Paradise but Jesus was explaining to the Jews this place of paradise so that they would understand its where Abraham was.) then the other section were there was fire. There was a gulf fixed between them and the two compartments could be seen each other. Now, the saints that were saved in the Old Testament were saved by faith in God, not necessairily in Jesus (who is God).
    God just credited their account. (See Gen 15:6).

Those who were 'believers' went to Abraham's bosom or paradise which was across from the fire part of Hades. I believe that Eph 4 does make reference to the fact that Jesus led those people free to the Heavenly abode, but not just the people but the whole compartment. Paul visited this place, when he was caught up even unto paradise. (2 Cor 12)
    Jesus told the man who believed on the cross that today He would see him in Paradise. And I believe that is true. Jesus went there to preach to those saints - that the payment had been paid in full, that it is finished. Jesus paid it all, descending to the lower parts of the earth, preaching the good news, then taking them to Heaven. Now Jesus did not give them a second chance, this is not purgatory and its no longer there.

Right now there is just the fire part of Hades, which will be later opened for the great white throne judgement then cast into ge-henna for final judgement.

The third Greek word "tartaroo" is not for people at all, but that's another subject.

Now for Elijah and Enoch. These are not the normative. I myself have a few questions in my own mind about these two. Nevertheless I do believe that they literally went to heaven. I think they are a picture of the future rapture of the Church. There are a lot of things that are not normal about these events like the fact that flesh and blood cannot enter heaven, but they did. Its appointed unto man once to die, but they didn't. They missed their appointment. Elijah was taken up by a whirlwind, will all of us go the same way? These two men do not alter the fact that there was a paradise in Hades.

Gina I hope this helps

With love,

Chet

11. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Thank you Chet. [​IMG]
    Gina

12. MARANATHA2000

MARANATHA2000 New Member

Gina

I have read diferrent theories on Elijah and Enoch. And I am still puzzled about their apparent rapture. Considering that CHRIST is suppose to be the first fruit of the resurrection. I have heard several bible teachers say that they believe that Elijah and either Moses or Enoch are the two witnesses of the book of REV. If I remember correctly the theory is that Elijah and Enoch were not exactly raptured, but were takin to the eternal realm where all time exist at the same instant. And then are brought back to the creation realm to fulfill the prophecies of revelation. To them it would have seemed to be a 5 min ride. to those in the creation realm it would be as a couple thousand years have passed. It also could be Moses instead of Enoch, because he was seen at the mount of transfiguration with CHRIST. But I have not come to any one conclusion in my study.PEACE, but not yet.

" THE LORD COMETH "

13. firedome

firedome New Member

MARANATHA2000,
    I believe that Elijah and Enoch will be the witnesses referred to in the book of the Revelation. I claim the verse of scripture He. 9:27 which says; "And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:" Neither Elijah nor Enoch tasted death, as far as God's Word relates. Is it possible that when Moses appeared unto our Lord he received of God what he was denied in life? To go into the promised land. Just a thought...

Rodney (Lk. 14:10-11)

14. MARANATHA2000

MARANATHA2000 New Member

Firedome, hello

I have a personal belief thats its Elijah and Moses, because of the transfiguration and because of some of the powers that these two will have. But it could possibly be Enoch as well. There isn't very much written about Enoch. It could also be two jews that are alive at the time, and are cut off the same sack cloth, if you will. I think the bible refers John the Baptist as being cut from the same sack cloth as Elijah. If I remember correctly, if the jews would have accepted JESUS then GOD would have accepted John the Baptist as Elijah coming before the day of the lord. We will just have to wait and see to be sure. PEACE, but not yet.

" THE LORD COMETH "

15. firedome

firedome New Member

M2K,
    I see what you are saying, I believe. But, in the verse of scripture I quoted, He. 9:27, it states that all men are to die but oncce, and then receive judgment...

Rodney

16. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I'm not putting this out as doctrine, AT ALL, but I'm sure there are some that believe our spirits keep on going in this world after our bodies die, until the death of this earth, and then the FINAL judgement. That those spirits are who war on this earth, in the manner that evil spirits surround the unsaved and good spirits surround the saved, and when the two meet there is spiritual war.
    I am not teaching this. It IS something that I have thought about.
    I have also entertained the possibility that Elijah and Enoch still walk among us.
    Gina

17. fwbbcflames

fwbbcflames New Member

I think that all are saved the same way. The OT saved were looking forward to the cross. While us that are saved after the cross are looking back to it. It all comes down the faith in what Jesus did on the cross. I tend to think that Paradise and Abraham's bossom are the same place. That all that died in faith went to this place, and all that died without faith went to hades. One is a place of paradise and the other a place of torments. The account that Jesus gave us of Lazarus and the rich man is a perfect example of this. I think this actually happened, I don't think this is just a parable. Well that is just my thoughts. If something does not pan out to you let me know, just tring to learn. ;)