1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ellen White's "inspired" writings

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by trying2understand, Oct 15, 2003.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Obviously.

In Christ,

Bob

2. trying2understand

trying2understand New Member

No so obvious to me.

Please explain how you know this from the "details" of her words.

Also, please tell us what she is saying.

3. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    She is claiming that she was shown conditions of the earth just prior to the flood. This would be the Genesis 6 conditions.

This would be of "interest" to those Christians that still accepted the integrity of the Word of God in the Genesis 1-8 "account" of the creation and the flood. AND as already stated before - "testing" a prophet ALWAYS begins with sound "sola scriptura" approved doctrine. Which is why I ALWAYS start with the doctrines of the church - ALWAYS the "sola scriptura" model.

Interestingly - there are Christians today (non-Adventists) that interpret Genesis 6:1-4 of teaching immalgamation between Angels and Mankind. Adventists do not believe that is possible due to the statements of Christ in Matt 22.

In Christ,

Bob

4. Downsville

Downsville New Member

hey all
    Ellen White is a false prophetesses. If 1 thing she says is not true she is not of God. She claims the Kingdom of God (1000 yr period of rest)will be in heaven. The real prophets (in the bible)say itll be here on this earth.

5. trying2understand

Not just before the flood but since the flood also.

What is this amalgamation that she speaks of?

6. trying2understand

Why don't you just go ahead and test it for us then?

You still have not explained how you know this to be inspired.

7. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One can be SDA and be saved, but one cannot believe SDA doctrine and be saved. For example, Christ had a sinful nature; He only BEGAN the atonement on the cross, it isn't finished until He puts our sins on Satan, the sinbearer; the immortality of the human soul, worshipping on Sunday, and eternal hellfire are from the Beast, and when we go to churches that teach these we are following an image of the Beast; to worship on Sunday is the mark of the Beast; and, the Bible is inspired, but not verbally, and EGW was inspired in the same way.

False teaching that has deceived many.

8. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Not just before the flood but since the flood also.

What is this amalgamation that she speaks of?
    </font>[/QUOTE]She says the Sons of God represent the Children of Seth. The Daughters of women represent the children of Cain. The amalgamation in humanity is the intermixing of the saints with the pagans. Something God clearly forbade in the OT and the NT condemns the practic of being unequally yoked. It corrupts the saints - and when the city has lost its light - darkness is all that remains.

Hence the destruction of the world in Noah's day.

In Christ,

Bob

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Why don't you just go ahead and test it for us then?

You still have not explained how you know this to be inspired.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Obviously the book quoted is "Spirit of Prophecy" - and "obviously" she is "claiming" to have seen events prior to the flood. It is an "obvious" claim to an inspired statement.

However "you" picked the small snippet and not the full context of the chapter - so you will have to ask yourself why you picked it.

But the "obvious" part is that it is a claim to have seen what is not available outside of inspiration.

The first "test" of a prophet is doctrine. In this case if you have some Bible text "showing" that the intermingling of saints with pagans in marriage (something forbidden in both OT and NT) can not be the problem. Then perhaps you have a "Bible" case for making a point against this claim.

As a non-SDA surely you could find more "direct" quotes of doctrinal statements that are in direct contradiction with some of your beliefs - like those of purgatory or your practice of praying to the dead. She had something to say on each one of those - it was not positive. So surely there at the very least - you could say that the Bible as you understand it - does not support her condemnation of your practices and you could also note that her condemnation is "claimed" on the basis of inspiration. (A way of proving someone to be a false prophet as already noted).

In any case - the point has already been made "repeatedly" that the first test is "sola scriptura" - testing doctrinal statements claimed as coming from inspiration - and yet opposing what you claim you have found in scripture.

It should be much easier than you are making it - even for you. In fact I know it is.

In Christ,

Bob

10. trying2understand

"Since the flood there has been amalgamation of man and beast, as may be seen in the almost endless varieties of species of animals, and in certain races of men."

Intermixing of saints and pagans?

Seen in species of animals?

How does that work?

Your answer does not seem to make much sense.

Races of men?

What does race have to do with the intermixing of saints and pagans?

11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "Since the flood there has been amalgamation of man and beast, as may be seen in the almost endless varieties of species of animals, and in certain races of men."

Intermixing of saints and pagans?

Seen in species of animals?

How does that work?

Your answer does not seem to make much sense.

Races of men?

What does race have to do with the intermixing of saints and pagans?
    </font>[/QUOTE]Intermixing of animals with animals causes the "endless varieties of animals"

(I thought that was "obvious" but I guess not huh?)

Although Ellen White did not spell out the cases for how humanity was invovled negatively in the issue of certain races of men - she did details one specific instance.
    Intermixing of humans with humans - in the sense of Genesis 6 - the people of God mixing with paganism - causes the loss of the "light of the world". The result was the destruction of the world by the flood according to the Bible and to Ellen White's statements on that problem. The effects today of millenia of paganism can be seen in the short-life span, stunted growth, increased disease and deformity found in some people groups. All this is caused by exposure to disease, germs, unsanitary conditions and poor selection of food sources. It is interesting that those health problem diminish as they change their diet and lifestyle to be more in harmony with the diet and lifestyle of the "saints" specified in scripture. (For example - cannibalism would be "out").

But in all this - we have only the Genesis 6 text (and the MAtt 22 text) to use as boundaries - surely you have a more direct example of doctrinal challenge by a so-called vision or inspired message. (Such as her opposition to torturing the saints and burning them in the dark ages, her opposition to indlugences and purgatory - or her opposition to praying to the dead).

In Christ,

Bob

12. trying2understand

It's not obvious to me. Especially when I don't know what SDA spin you will be putting on it.

So then it is an SDA belief that animals are capable of sin?

What are the names of some of these endless varieties of animals that resulted from an amalgamaiton between the flood and the time that Ms. White wrote this?

Mixing of saints and pagans creates new races?

Or only certain races are doing this?

Can you offer some specifics?

Ms. White said that the amalgamation could be seen in certain races.

Which races?

13. trying2understand

Just another quick point:

If amalgamation of saints and pagans is a base sin, why did God contradict Himself in the case of Samson and the Philistine woman that he took as his wife?

Scripture tells us that marriage was "of the Lord".

14. trying2understand

I'm also wondering why SDA teaching on these "inspired" words of Ms. White have changed so much over the years.

At one time the SDA believed that she was talking about a mixing of men and animals.

The SDA at one time thought that the African Bushmen were the product of such an amalgamation.

Then they changed it to a mixing of races.

Then they changed it to a mixing of faiths.

People close to Ms. White said that she meant a mixing of man and animals.

Why were these "inspired" words of her's removed from her books in later printings?

15. trying2understand

Your Ms. White said,

Your above explanation rings hollow.

Why do you apply the same word (amalgamation) differently to "man" and "beast"?

Shouldn't it be applied as the sentence states: "man and beast"?

The dictionary says amalgamation is a combination, mixture, blend, or union.

Lets try substituting the words and see if your explanation gets clearer.

Since the flood there has been combination of man and beast, as may be seen in the almost endless varieties of species of animals, and in certain races of men.

Since the flood there has been mixture of man and beast, as may be seen in the almost endless varieties of species of animals, and in certain races of men.

Since the flood there has been blend of man and beast, as may be seen in the almost endless varieties of species of animals, and in certain races of men.

Since the flood there has been union of man and beast, as may be seen in the almost endless varieties of species of animals, and in certain races of men.

Clearly, Bob, she is talking about a physical union between man and beast.

That is what the SDA understood it to mean for many years. That is what the SDA argued it to mean.

Pretty silly, huh?

But is it "inspired"?

16. dumbox1

dumbox1 Guest

Hang on, I missed some of this over the weekend.

Bob, last week I thought you were saying that none of Mrs. White's writings were inspired.

Now, I get the impression that you believe that some, but not all, of her writings are inspired.

Is the latter a correct understanding of your position?

(If so, I apologize for misunderstanding you earlier).

Thanks,

Mark

17. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Mark - I never said her writings were not inspired - I simply said that not everything a prophet says or writes down (even if that prophet is Ellen White) is inspired.

I gave an example in the case of Nathan the prophet. But other examples could be given - such as the case where David - (who is himself a prophet) says some very unninspired things.

In Christ,

Bob

18. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Very Good T2U. You got that right.

I applaud you.

I don't. Beasts intermingle with beasts to get the various species.

Hopefully that is "now obvious" to you.

The SAME occurs between people groups.

Ellen White was identifying a problem that occured pre-flood that is very much the same as what we see in Genesis 6:1-4. The Sons of God (Seth's descendants) intermingling with the daughters of men (Cain's descendants).

Or do you "need" it to be something else?

You will have to meet your needs in your own way.

I am sticking with the obvious.

Yes EACH of those sets - but not BETWEEN those sets as you seem to enjoy speculating (for reasons I don't understand yet).

Yes - you have posted something "very" silly.

Congratulations - we agree!

And "no" I don't think your speculation is "inspired".

In Christ,

Bob

19. trying2understand

Bob, you skipped this.

20. trying2understand

Bob, you also skipped this.