1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Elvis Bible

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Deacon, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

It's not PC to admit that but, yes.

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    that what made elvis so dangerous to southern culture, as he a white man able to sing and move as "a colored', and thus bring together the whites and black cultures!

3. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

But, silly me, I thought that Christ did away with such superficial distinctions such as ethnicity (e.g., in the case of NT times, Jews and "Greek" [i.e.,Gentiles]), didn't He? (Galatians 3:28a)

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He did, but it took the South a LONG time to realise that truth, even among the Clergy!

5. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Why do you suppose that was so?

Wasn't "the South" supposed to be "the BIBLE BELT" (as opposed to "the North" and/or the midwest, the west coast, etc.)?

Seems to me that if you lived/preached in "The BIBLE Belt," doesn't it stand to reason that you'd probably know more and practice more of the BIBLE'S resulting teachings and/or practices than those people/preachers who didn't live in the "BIBLE belt"?!!?

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Robycop3, we probably disagree on many views of scripture, but we seem to agree on these two points. Maybe we could start a trend advocating something we might call "scripture alone."

BTW, I looked at my KJV of Job 19:5 and it matched the version in the video, including having "yourselves" in italics. I like it when folks check the text rather than accept what others say. Perhaps we could advocate that too, as part of living by the Word of God and not the clever stories of men.

Have a great day.

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    should have been, but in regards to prejudice and misapplication of the Binble, the 'Bible belt" failed miserable to a large extant!

8. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

I see your prejudice is showing, too.

How about some stats to prove your statement.

Prove that professing, God-fearing, born again, Christians in the "Bible Belt" fail at rate any different from any other area of this country, now or in the past.

9. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Funny.... I was a teenager, actually watched the live version of Ed Sullivan's show.

As a teenager, I heard, first hand, the objections to Elvis Presley and Rock & Roll. Generally, they were rolled up in one bundle, with Elvis being criticized for his hip gyrations. Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, Fabian, and others, except Ricky Nelson were pure evil.

It was many years later before I began to read of the emphasis being placed on the "color" issue. To the best of my memory, I never heard that brought up by those trying to convience us, AT THE TIME, that we'd go to hell if we didn't reject the evils of rock and roll. Perhaps "color" was discussed somewhere, to some degree. But, here, at least, it was not presented as being "dangerous to southern culture". Rock and roll, itself, was the danger, not the vocal tones of an individual performer.

History was written, and then re-written, and continues to be re-written by those using 20/20 (not really) hindsight of their preceptions/bias to influence others.

10. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Which leads me back to my post of 09/13 wherein I observed that apparently in this day and age it seems that it's OK to listen to the same music that Elvis, etc., sang so long as it's in a slower, oftentimes in an orchestrated arrangement (e.g., "easy listening" and/or "the 'golden' age of Rock" [such as in those "Time-Life Records" infomercials]).

If that music was roundly condemned as "godless" and/or "sinful" back then (which, here again I believe that it actually was/is), why is it not apparently "godless" and/or "sinful" in the eyes of many preachers today?

Aren't such sins as murder, adultery, etc., still sins today just as much as when God told Moses that they were "way back then"?

If the above mentioned never stopped being sins, why then isn't the music of Elvis, or if you go back to, say, the mid 1960's, the Beatles and/or the Beach Boys, etc., not considered (at least by some) not as "godless" and/or "sinful" now days?

11. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Because some of teenagers of the 50's & 60's, who wanted to hear that music, are in the pulpits of today.

Because much of that music is "tame" in comparision to what's on the airwaves today. Often what was implied back then is now explicit.

Because, back then, PARENTS and preachers condemmed that style of music in both words and actions in the case of parents. In my case there was ONE record player in the house. If my parents didn't want to hear what was on a 45 record, I couldn't play it, if they were at home. (Usually were!)

Because today, in the church, the "fight" is centered on CCM, in the church. In practice, how many ignore/tolerate/condone worldly music as long as it doesn't cross the threshold of the church door?

Because today, in the viewpoint of many, explicit music must be kept out of the church. Yet, that's what they listen to on the way home after Sunday worship. Have you ever walked with another member to their car and heard the radio come on when they started the engine? It's a vivid contrast when a choir member has just sung The Old Rugged Cross and their radio is playing "Like a Virgin".

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    question...

The South segregated Blacks/Whites until Supreme Court, right?

Police unleased attack dogs and water hoses on blacks, right?

White clergy were supporting that, and the Klan was big in the south, right?

ALL used the Bible to support it!

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Point is that the clergy had little biblical support to ban Elvis, or black artists, as that was pretty much preference problem!

14. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

Anything underlined or any notes, doubt it but hope so.

15. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

None of that answers my question.

A few minutes with google can result in a bigger list of "northern" bashing than the one you just presented. Maybe within your own city over the last 150 years or so.

How about just answering my question, since apparently you're determined to "play the race card", as a way to avoid supporting your prior statements.

Again:
    Prove that professing, God-fearing, born again, Christians in the "Bible Belt" fail at rate any different from any other area of this country, now or in the past.

16. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

David, are you referring to the underlined "in the church" in my post?

As to "notes", notes from whom? (If this is in reference to my post.)

Notes from someone else to verify my own experiences, growing up in southern USA, when Elvis Presley became the dominate force in the rock and roll "revolution"?

17. David Michael Harris

Was Elvis a Christian? I don't know, hope he was.

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Christians in the South/Bible belt failed to realise that blacks and whites were equally created by God longer than any other region!

And the deep seated hatred towards them was a big factor in while Elvis was getting ttreated as he did, NOT just because he had "Devil music!"

19. David Michael Harris

20. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

http://paskewich.typepad.com/paskewichcom/2006/08/was_elvis_presl.html
    http://global.christianpost.com/new...gers-faith-was-elvis-a-christian-photo-81359/

Only our Lord knows what's in each of our hearts. Thus, I don't know either. From these reports and others, we may hear him sing, once again.

Perhaps Elvis and Uncle Jesse will be singing in the choir.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi4qwb58npg