1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Emergent churches

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by queenbee, Mar 28, 2008.

1. queenbee

queenbee Member

I'm curious to know if/how many people on the BB belong(ed) to an emergent church or know of friends/family who do belong to such and are having serious second thoughts.

I ask because some years ago the church I attended at the time, seriously considered going down the McLaren/Warren/Bell road. The pastor at the time who was there briefly, was replaced by the current pastor (definitely of the old school).

I've often wondered what might have happened had the church embraced the emerging philosophy and become one of these popular and growing churches we hear about or alternatively, would there be a lot of disillusionment, heartache or gut feeling that something is just not right.

2. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Old school. I grew up old school. I tend to struggle with old school to some degree because in their own right, it is a clique.

3. D28guy

D28guy New Member

I have never been a part of any "emergent" fellowship, but from what I have heard about them I have some serious concerns.

I would encourage anyone checking one out to be very very discerning...and test everything against the solid truth of the scriptures.

God bless,

Mike

4. queenbee

queenbee Member

I agree SW. Have some of the same issues, but guess as I'm getting older in the tooth :laugh:, coming to appreciate that I've had pretty good grounding from some of those 'old school' lo' those many years ago.

I've been viewing some of the websites and various videos on YouTube in the last few days re emergent church. I do like the contemporary worship aspects, but the preaching/teaching really leaves me jittery. The beliefs of some of these guys are downright worrisome, not to mention confusing and you can just sense, hollow. I can see how laidback & upbeat appeals to so many seekers - especially young people, but are they really getting nourished in the word at the same time? I find myself wondering how is it that normally sane people get so caught up in this.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It has a hypersensative view of culture. Which has been used as an excuse to have a free for all. "I can do what I want because its culutre". As if culture is a biblical standard.

6. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I am a Southern Baptist "Old Schooler" just like Saggy is an Old School Fundy

I preach SB "Old School" sermons----the WHOLE council of God---by the Book---book by book, chapter by chapter, verse by verse, word by word---IF you know what I mean!!!!!

7. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If Rick Warren is the Warren you are referring to, he isn't considered emergent/emerging. For some emerging Christians, Warren represents the anti-thesis of the emerging church which in some ways was a reaction against the marketization of church found in the megachurch model.

I'm probably one of the more pro-emerging church members on this board but have never attended a church that identifies as emerging. The one I currently attend is probably more anti-emerging than pro-emerging from the few insinuations I have heard from our senior pastor.

#7 Gold Dragon, Mar 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2008
  8. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Warren is SBC.

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I was talking to my husband about this the other night and he said that there was a difference between "emerging" and "emergent".

Emerging are the churches that might change their "method" - maybe have a more casual service, use candles for lighting, not have the typical "song, prayer, sermon" order of the service, etc. However, their theology and doctrine are sound.

Emergent are the churches that are changing the message AND the method to be more acceptable to others. They are taking out the sin, the cross, the blood, etc. and concentrating on the good feelings and happiness of religion. This group's theology and doctrine are way messed up.

Is this a correct assumption? I've heard others say that they're the same - even that a church that uses modern music is an "emergent church" and therefore wrong.

10. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I would like to the same. I keep hearing this term but I am not even sure I understand what all it means.

As far as tradition and "old school" we all have traditions and tradition itself can be good or it can be bad.

The key is to make sure our traditions are Biblical.

11. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

That is a correct assumption. They are two different things and they cannot all be lumped together into one group just as all baptist cannot be lumped together as one.

12. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I was going to say the same thing that has already been said. We have to be very careful here in our terminology.

Looking for new ways to present the Gospel of Jesus Christ (ie we may meet in a warehouse or have a street ministry) is very different from the EMERGENT movement.

13. queenbee

queenbee Member

I had no idea. Are you still not worried about his message? He appears (at least to me) to be off the cuff a lot of the time and throwing out scriptural 1-liners out of context. Something doesn't add up.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I see this many times with every preacher at times, including Macarthur, Piper, et. al.

I'm not worried about his message in the least. He preaches salvation by grace through faith in Christ. What is to worry about that?

15. queenbee

queenbee Member

Agreed. I'm so far out of it, I have no idea what's emerging, in hiding, gone to pasture or at the local coffee shop :laugh: I like some of your husband's explanations Ann - and thank you for that. Maybe this is what I'm looking for in emerging church, but I really desire sound scriptural teaching & doctrine at the same time. I'm just not into 'follow me pastors' (without sound Biblical basis) and then the flock find themselves over the edge and wondering why.

So maybe peeples here can explain a bit more in detail to Dale C and me cuz I'm not even sure what it means either.

16. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Because of controversial books and theological views by Brian McLaren, some emerging Christians have tried to distance themselves from that by saying that those associated with Brian McLaren and Emergent Village are labelled as Emergent. The primary promoter of this separation of Emergent and Emerging is Mark Driscoll. However, there are many emerging/emergent Christians who predate, these two personalities and the conflict between them who do not mind associating with either term, particularly in other parts of the world besides the US.

The controversial views of McLaren are not related to taking out sin, the cross and blood and focusing on good feelings and happiness. That would be closer to the criticism of the megachurch model and particularly Joel Osteen.

The Emerging Church has many reasons for existence.
    1. One of them is a reaction against megachurch model as the epitome of "modern church" where church and theology is effeciently marketed, packaged and systematized.
    2. Another is to cater to postmodern Christians and reach out to postmodern non-Christians by "missional living". Alternative methodogies, music and media are often associated with this goal.

There are many more but I will try to keep it simple and refer to those issues already brought up in this thread.

#16 Gold Dragon, Mar 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2008
  17. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

18. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I grew up very Southern Baptist back in the day when it was a great thing to be hired on by the BAPTIST SUNDAY SCHOOL BOARD.

Of all the churches I have been a part of that I have felt reached out, the music varied in the same church and in different churches as much as the east is from the west of using hymns to using contemporary. Back when I was young, the "new music" which is now old music to me was from the Jesus movement and is still in the church today. The preaching was as varied (even in the same church) as much as the east is from the west on some shallow sermons to very rich and deep sermons.

It is a different day of doing church. If the doctrine is sound and the gospel is preached, run with it.

I guess I am really tired of seeing the "old people", which could include me, complaining about how "the young people" do things, or doing what will draw "the young people" in. Any more, who wants to go to a business meeting where you complain about this or vote on the color of the carpet. Who the heck cares? If you want to talk shallow, I know more "shallow" people in the old church where they expect to be hand fed all the time, and they have been in church for years. GET OUT OF THE POCKET AND DO SOMETHING!!!!! Ack. You have done got me started.

#18 SaggyWoman, Apr 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2008
  19. queenbee

queenbee Member

Sounds like you and I grew up across the street from each other! :laugh: Your comments are pretty close to my feelings on the subject too.

I don't have a problem with some emerging ideas - ie., visually oriented worship, BUT I also want sound doctrine and teaching to go along with it. There's nothing wrong with having creativity in a service - it can add much to one's adoration of God. I don't feel it's counterproductive, provided the creative elements blend in well and add to the worship. If it's nothing but smooth, sacharine, feelgood happiness (forgive me for saying this, I absolutely could not stand attending Osteen's church or similar), then yes, it becomes virtually a joke - nothing different than what I can get at the local coffee shop/social event. I want to be challenged when I attend church, given some meat to chew on to be better equipped to deal with the remainder of my week and I want it to be real. Is that still possible in this day and age? I honestly don't know anymore. At the moment, I attend church on & off and I'm searching. I know there are many fine churches who seem to grasp what their Godly vision and mission is in their community and are thriving (I envy that in a good way), all the way down to churches in death throes. Somehow, it seems to me that Christians have lost a vital part of our message and our relish for living. Small wonder that people, young and old, are drawn to feelgood churches, new age, and other religions (not that I condone these). I miss being challenged, being encouraged to take a risk for God, being supported and being in missional living. I'm positive that I can't be the only one feeling this way. Enough of my soapbox for now. :)

#19 queenbee, Apr 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2008
  20. Brutus

Brutus Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Emergent church

D.A. Carson has recently written a book: Becoming Conversant With The EMERGING CHURCH in which he says that "emerging and emergent have become strongly associated with an important movement that is sweeping across America. Many in the movement use "emerging"or "emergent" as the defining adjective for their movement."

Brutus