1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Emergent churches

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by queenbee, Mar 28, 2008.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well it IS less disturbing to the congregation for a person to have a coughing fit, pee in the seat, vomit (yes, twice I left the service to vomit due to morning sickness), or to let the 85 year old Sunday School teacher who tripped over a child and fell - breaking her nose and bleeding profusely because she's on coumadin - just take car of herself. Yep - it's way more disruptive if you got up quietly and moved out of the sanctuary. Oh - and don't let's forget the child who's screaming for mom and mom is not coming - and learning that church is a place where we're away from those we love and no matter how much we cry for them, they don't come (which turns into a great example of how God ignores our cries when we cry out to Him).

Not feeding a child in childcare for 3 hours is against childcare regulations, I'm sure. "Too bad so go somewhere else"? Yep - thanks. I will go find a healthy church.

When he can show where all worship is done from a standing position, he can publicly chastise those who sit. Otherwise, shut up. I sit at times when I just need to pray during worship - which I do. I've also been known to kneel and get on my face before God during worship. That's Biblical.

You're right - it so sounds like a form of works-based salvation and I'd run from a church like that. Spiritual abuse is happening there and it's completely unhealthy. Better to find a church that is fully Biblical than one with a lot of rules and regulations. Thank God for grace, I have to say and it sounds like that is sorely lacking in your church.

2. queenbee

queenbee Member

Nodak: RUN don't walk to a healthier church! You've answered your own question ....

"We get the history of long services--been around long enough to know this is an attempt to revive Puritan practice. We are told that to not want this shows a lack of spirituallity. Uh, no, just a refusal to embrace another form of works based salvation."

"Not feeding a child in childcare for 3 hours is against childcare regulations, I'm sure." I'd check out Ann's comment with government agency on this one. If it is against regulations, you need to procure a copy of regulations for each parent with child in childcare, and a copy to pastor and leaders as well.

"Too bad so go somewhere else"? Yep - skedaddle.

3. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

You are stupid. :D

4. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

To those that have told me to leave: you are right, of course. Our only other choice in this county (gigantic and very rural) within the Baptist fold is an extremely legalistic KJVO church. Nice people but not our cup of tea.

For that reason, and given the general level of rancor we are finding in Baptist circles these days, starting this Sunday we will be visiting non Baptist churches in search of a church home. Christians are to be known by their love, not their nastiness.

I will not post or visit baptistboard until/unless we find a healthy Baptist church in hiding somewhere around here since it is for Baptists.

Peace to all!

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Nodak - Don't feel you need to leave if you're not going to a Baptist church right now. There are many here who are not Baptist and that's fine. We used to go to a wonderful Presbyterian church and I know that many of those in that church were true brothers and sisters in Christ. If you're in an area with just those two choices for a Baptist church then I agree - you might do much better in a non-denom church. I'll be praying you find where God is and will be led there.

6. queenbee

queenbee Member

Nodak:

1. You and I have a lot in common. Newcomers to the BB and looking for something in our church family that is sound in doctrine and teaching & uplifting/encouraging in worship and outreach. I'll be praying for you and your family that God will lead you to a church family where you will feel most welcomed and well - you'll just know - the pieces of the puzzle will fit together.

2. I may be seeking another another church in my area because I am searching for something deeper; you may be choosing to search for another church because you don't want to get caught up in legalism, but we are both still Baptist by tradition and belief. Though I sense your respect for moderators and others, I don't see how this precludes you from being part of the BB ongoing discussions. If you feel strongly about this, there are other Christian websites out there where frank discussion can take place among Christians of many denominations.

:praying: for you

Queenbee