1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Emerging preachers ....

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by qwerty, Feb 13, 2002.

1. qwerty

qwerty New Member

Thought this was interesting:

Emerging preachers avoid seminary

Emerging preachers value learning through experience more than seminary training, The Washington Times reports. According to Brad Smith, president of the Leadership Network, a network of ‘innovative church leaders’, learning Hebrew and Greek doesn’t fit real-life needs. “There is a new kind of clergy who are driven by the question our culture is asking: What is the usefulness of our church to society? The older clergy don’t think that’s a valid question. The newer clergy think it is.” In addition to that Rick Joyner of Morningstar Ministries said conferences and master-novice relationships have displaced seminaries as the main means of training Christians. Joyner told The Washington Times that “the Lord has called His church to be a family, and it seems that the most effective way that everything of lasting significance in the church is accomplished is based on relationship.” The newspaper further observes that “the trend seems to be anything on how to connect deeply to the living God. Book tables are full of advice on prayer, seeking God, contemplation, revival, spiritual passion, prophecy and ‘bridal love’ for God.”

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Interesting, yet sad. True preaching should be applicable, yet God's Word is always applicable. Since <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> 2 Tim. 3:16-17 (ESV)
    All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righ teousness, [17] that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then we should
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> 2 Tim. 4:2 (ESV)
    preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

3. Monergist

Monergist New Member

[ February 13, 2002: Message edited by: TimothyW ]

4. qwerty

qwerty New Member

Joyner told The Washington Times that “the Lord has called His church to be a family, and it seems that the most effective way that everything of lasting significance in the church is accomplished is based on relationship.”

I can't say that I have heard everything Rick Joyner has said, but I can't agree that “Rick Joyner spews out heresy like a busted fire hydrant.”

On another thread, you might want to back up that assertion.

From what he did say in the Times article, it sounds accurate to what the church needs to do.

5. Monergist

Monergist New Member

I over-reacted in my first post; I guess that wasn't very edifying.

But I do have many problems with Mr. Joyner's ministry. I'll consider putting them on a new thread.

6. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by qwerty:
    ... learning Hebrew and Greek doesn’t fit real-life needs. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps this question is best answered by what what "real life needs" really are. If real life needs are the felt needs that are being addressed by many today, then perhaps this is true. If real life needs are the clear teaching and application of the word of God, then this guy is totally off base. What the world needs more than anything else is the clear precise teaching of Scripture.

7. PreacherDave

PreacherDave New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pastor Larry:
    [/qb]What the world needs more than anything else is the clear precise teaching of Scripture.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with you PL, whole heartedly! I have found that the exegesis of scripture, applied as the author intended is effective and timely. God's Word is powerful and effective by expounding on the intended context and applying it to real life situations. Whether it is preaching or counseling, there is nothing better to use than God's Word in true biblical doctrine.