1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Emmanuel Baptist Theological Seminary

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by dallas, Jun 15, 2006.

1. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I have read Strous' work concerning the KJV and makes the same unbilical assertions that all KJVOs make. Emmanuel is blazingly KJVO. I know I have a friend who went there and he is KJVO. I did nothing to mention that Emmanuel takes an extreme postion, but they do take a KJVO postion.

Would EBTS allow a student to use anything but the KJVO or the TR?

2. Askjo

Askjo New Member

I recommend this Seminary.

3. Askjo

Askjo New Member

I recommend it for some reasons: sense, truth, TR over CT, Biblical sound, Biblical position and more.... This Seminary is NOT KJVO, but it is TR/KJV Seminary.

4. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

If you do not allow your students the choice of text and version they prefer, and you write articles that sound like the typical KJVO rehtoric, you are KJVO in my book.

Calling a dog a cat does not make him a cat; saying a KJVO institution is not KJVO does not change the truth.

5. Askjo

Askjo New Member

They prefer???? Let me ask you question: Are they aware that modern versions are corrupted?

6. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Askjo, that is a matter of opinion. The majority of conservative Christian's would disagree with that statement. By the way I personally am offended when some one calls the Word of God "corrupted". God's Word is never corrupted.

7. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

I'm starting my own movement: NASBO.

8. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only one reply!

To all who have an ear:

I was not going to make another reply! However, I cannot help myself.

As I read this; it seems this discussion of an "in hourse" seminary (if there is such a thing?) has turned into a meeting of the "Flat Earth Society!" It has denigrated into another droll, dry, and dead discussion of the KJVO!:laugh:

For those who have been on the BB for a while; is this not one of many times when we have started out on one topic and ended up on the "KJVO" stuff?

I will endeavor to stay out of the conversation! Really, I will!

sdg!

rd

9. UZThD

UZThD New Member

I wonder if there is a correrelation of the KJVO position and a particular view and /or practice of Christian higher ed. Sorry if this is naive. I've led a sheltered life.:laugh:

10. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Academic Staff

Well, I couldn't stay out of it!:laugh:

I looked deep into the Seminary's web pages. If I read it correctly, they have only one prof. who is credentialed. And he has his PhD from Bob Jones.

Go figure!:smilewinkgrin:

sdg!

rd

11. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Irony

Dallas,

Let me tell you an irony I have just noticed.

You asked a question about your seminary, and many of us have given you what we b/l to be honest answers. Now, you have not been around in a while to answer the remarks.

I, on the other hand, have tried not to answer and do not seem to be able to help myself!:smilewinkgrin:

Now you have to admit! That is down right funny is it not!!!

sdg!

rd

12. UZThD

UZThD New Member

13. garpier

garpier New Member

Acts 4:13 "Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus.

No credentials here either
    Go figure

14. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Unlearned and Ignorant"

To all who have an ear:

IMHO, the reference to "unlearned and ignorant" here in the scriptures might be a statement of perception describing those who were workers with their hands. It was probably meant as a slur or term of derision.

It certainly does not give an accurate account of their academic credentials. It does not give credence to the three years they spent in the ultimate "school of the Prophets," Christ Jesus himself being the chief instructor and practitioner.

To take that scripture and make it a paradigm NOT TO GET A GOOD SOLID EDUCATION is either ignorance or a justification for same. Either way it pushes the point to a level of absurdity and incredulity.

Like I say; that is just my "humble opinion" on which I am well educated and an expert in the field! HA!:laugh:

Forwhatitisworth!:thumbs:

sdg!

rd

15. UZThD

UZThD New Member

==

IMO They were credentialed! They were credentialed by being with the incarnate God for three years..face to face! They were credentialled by being inspired apostles. They even wrote Scripture!!

But I was not and am notand cannot. And neither is or was or can any faculty at any school including the one of this thread!

That is why we get training! Why is that so hard to understand?

16. dallas

dallas New Member

Rhetorician,

I have been reading the responses. I asked the question...I got the answer! I do believe it is pointless to continue the thread from my end...I certainly will not convince you and others of your ilk...I suppose I realized that...Nor will you convince me.

I truly asked the original question to know if anyone knew of EBTS and I would reccommend it. It is clear that you feel that the local church is not qualified to train faithful men in a way consistent with the Scriptures. I absolutely reject that...and so do the Scriptures. But I will not convince you, nor have I sought to.

I am thankful for your response as well as others. It was informative. Not exactly what I was expecting, but I suppose I should have figured as much. Again, if you will look at another post that I have posted in BB on "What Is Biblical Scholarship?" concerning the article written my Aaron Strouse (professor at EBTS {but then again...he is a prof. at a l.c. seminary -- thus be suspct of all that he has to say -- since in MUST needs be biased/unscholarly/slanted/ill-informed -- he should stick to hospital visitations, door knocking, maybe even a Sunday School class -- rather than venturing out into the realm of the "Scholarly, Qualified {because they have initials in front of their name or after -- and were taught by "men qualified to teach the Bible"} I do believe that article says it best. It would be an excellent read, and really is my answer to your questions put forth in this thread.

I will include the link here: http://www.bbcn.org/images/pdfs/What_is_Biblical_Scholarship.pdf

Wanting to be faithful to His Words

17. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

I don't think anyone here believes that the local church cannot train leaders, but it's all a matter of the quality of those providing the training. Besides, from what I saw on the school's website every teacher made sure that he had initials in front of his name wherever the website mentioned him. I think people here of a "certain ilk" are critical of that school because of the product of those teachers: as exemplified by the articles posted (i.e., the geocentric universe stuff, KJVO, etc.). Thus, suspicions of whether or not the teachers were qualified to teach were justified by what was posted and produced.

I tried to read the article on biblical scholarship but just couldn't get through it :sleeping_2: ...topically, it was all over the place in the first few pages. I must admit I cannot fathom why one needs to first address God's "academic credentials" while discussing "biblical scholarship."

Dallas, your last post was very defensive almost to a condescending level, and I think you mistake peoples' criticism of your school as a criticism of the church. It seems there's a kind of "us vs. them" mentality. We all want strong, healthy churches with great leaders. We may just differ on what constitutes the best training for church leaders.

BJ

#37 Brandon C. Jones, Jun 22, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2006
  18. garpier

garpier New Member

IITim. 2:2 "And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same, commit thou to faithful men who shall be able to teach others also."

Now I may be a nobody and noncredentialed as far as the scholars of this world are concerned, however I do have a Bible and the indwelling HOly Spirit to guide me into all truth. I certainly understand that the apostles trained at the feet of Jesus for three plus years, however I disagree with UZTHD who claims the apostles were inspired. If I'm not mistaken it is "all scripture" which is inspired, not the human authors. (After all Peter had a problem which Paul had to rebuke him for and Paul calls himself a wretched man) Nevertheless I am of the opinion (and I hope I am still entitled to such) that it is possible to be trained properly in a local church, with or without a seminary or Bible college attached to it. Where were the institutions of higher learning in the first, second, third or fourth centuries? Many of our Baptist forbears had no place other than the local church to learn the Bible. If I am not mistaken Charles Spurgeon (whose picture is prominently displayed on the posts of one who disagrees with Dallas and myself) never attended Bible College. At the ripe old age of 20 he took on the pastorate which was formerly held by John Gill. Within a few years he had opened his Preachers college without any academinc credentials!
    My question is why is it necessary to trust the teaching of God's men to parachuurch institutions which are not found in the Bible? If the church is God's institution for this age is it not capable of carrying out His work?

19. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

Garpier, perhaps you could ask your teachers who went to BJU and Tennessee Temple to answer your last question.

20. dallas

dallas New Member

Brandon (all),

A few comments to add. Brandon, you stated, "I don't think anyone here believes that the local church cannot train leaders..." Of course you don't the Bible is abundantly clear on that (II Tim. 2:2, et.al.), however, I percieve (I may be wrong, but I don't believe I am) that a number responding to this thread believe that the church has the authority and probably should be training faithful men, it's just better training can be found outside of the local church. I don't believe that all church ministry "schools" are biblical and balanced simply because they are under the authority of a l.c. -- however, these schools do not have their hands tied because of faulty ecclesiology. Also, regardless of what you may think, my loyalty is not to EBC/EBTS (Although I truly loved being a member of that l.c. and a student at EBTS)!!! My loyalty is to the Word of God. I believe (by conviction derived from the Scriptures) that the authority to teach the "all things" of Matt. 28:20 is the commission of the Lord's candlesticks.

Another thing, I am for a rigorous, academic training of faithful men. I am not anti-education. I'm for it! I just think it should be done under the authority of that institution which God commissioned to do the training! I do believe the men doing the training need to be qualified -- but qualified in whose eyes.

FYI, EBTS is taught by qualified men even in your eyes. However, this is still secondary to my point of contention with you. It really does come down to this: I believe the training should be done under the authority of the l.c., and you do not -- in fact, you automatically assume because your hands being bound by your weak ecclesiology that l.c. training is automatically elementary. (In many locations, that very well may be so...and I recognize that).